Action Cameras for Hunting

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

mchughcb

Re: Action Cameras for Hunting

Post by mchughcb »

Make sure you turn the geotagging features off before posting!

I just did another test tonight on the FOV. The Samsung is definately more than 90 but less than 127 of the drift second setting. I'd say its probably about 100. Which probably means I don't need the samsung wide lens to increase the FOV so that saves a couple of hundred bucks. I just put the 64Gb card in for $45, so now I just need my velocity clip headset and remote and we are right to go.The difference in resolution is just quite unbelievable at the 1080 @60fps. I haven't posted yet but the QDR and UDR are just something else but at 30fps I suspect they will be too slow.

jeff

Post by jeff »

Does the wide lens just clip over the back of the phone? Just think you'd be adding something that would ultimately lower the quality, so if you don't need it, don't bother.

My action cam is seemingly stuck in Sydney somewhere, AFTER already having cleared customs. Add that to a knife getting seized by them today, and I can see it's going to be one of those weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by jeff on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Jeff

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

The lenses are attached to a phone cover and you screw them in. I'm thinking I may not need the wide angle but we'll see.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well here is 2.7K in the GoPro Hero 4 Black versus the Samsung 7. The gopro is shooting at 60fps whereas the Samsung 7 is at 30fps. The GoPro has the wider field of view. I would say the go pro at 2.7K and faster frame rate is just slightly better resolution than the Samsung 7 with its QHD setting. The GoPro has had post processing for sharpness whereas the Samsung has nothing, just auto adjustment.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Okay so here is an acid test. 4K video @30fps. The gopro has had post processing the S7 is as it was shot. The gopro has a wider field of view. So close to call, maybe, I'd just give it to the go pro - maybe.

Interestingly YouTube auto adjusted for higher than HD!? I've never seen that before !

I am a little worried the FOV might be just a touch two small for the Samsung and I might require the wide angle lens but I will test next week when everything arrives and see how we go :dance:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I just ordered a new action camera and will be using it later this month in Arizona for an archery antelope hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJPSSqM ... redirect=1
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Any experience with the tacticam? I was looking at one of them thinking of giving it a try.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Resurrecting this post because I found the head mount for the Samsung S7 to be a PITA. I will use the Samsung for none action shots because of the good image and just edit in to the videos. Gopro has released its Hero 5. However I am now looking at the Sony FDR X3000 as an upgrade. The image stabilisation at 4K is quite unbelievable and it has digital zoom putting it up there with the tacticam. With 100Mbps rather than 60Mbps of the gopro the image and audio appears to be much better on youtube anyway.

If I do more driven hunts from the hochsitz this year I'm keen to get it setup on a monopod on the shooting rail in the direction of the shot.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Here is another review that says the 4k and 100Mbs aren't so great, you know how on line comparisons go. You really can't put much stock in any of them because you can make anything look good or bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokzd65FbqE

I use Sony camera's for most of my stuff, my 3ccd HDR AX2000 is still my primary camera and I have a Sony A77II as my b-roll camera. But I haven't yet moved from the go pro as a POV camera. Every year when I attend an outdoor video clinic at Cambell Camera's they say they expect at some point that another POV will outdo the go pro and they will move to them, they are a huge Sony dealer, but so far they don't recommend the Sony POV cameras. I'll see what they say this year in July.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Keen to hear how they compare bob. The Yi 4k doesnt look too bad either for the price.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Scrub that the Yi 4K+ just got released and its doing 4K @ 60fps - Geezus.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Just pulled the trigger on the Sony FDR X3000. I just hope its as easy to mount as the drift was on ear muffs. Drift just released a 4K model but the image stabilisation on the sony looks like its market leader. I also notice that my picture has been very poor in low light and the sony does very well in the reviews I read. I've got a spare battery but if I can't mount it then I'm in trouble :?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'll be very interested in how the Sony works out for you. I have great respect for Sony as I worked with their video engineers in the development or high definition television. Their golden eye and golden ear teams are amazingly skilled, nobody does video any where near the true technical capabilities because of cost. However Sony has consistently made wiser tradeoff decisions than any of the other companies I have worked with such as LG and Samsung, they also go directly to Zeiss for lens expertise and sometimes manufacturing.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

My work colleague wants to do a comparison with his go pro 4 black so ill post the results when i get them.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well it finally arrived today. Too dark to do any serious comparisons and with four hunts on the weekend I haven't got a chance to set it up but hopefully I'll get some good comparisons later in the week.

Return to “Open discussion”