Does Vaughn Eat Surströmming?

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

SPEEDY

Re: Does Vaughn Eat Surströmming?

Post by SPEEDY »

Can somebody translate the name?

I'm sure it can't be fresh rotten kippers :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:Can somebody translate the name?

I'm sure it can't be fresh rotten kippers :lol:
Sour herring, or more correctly fermented herring. The "good stuff" is the entire fish, heads guts roe the lot. I just call it rotten to offend the locals who have the cheek to claim Vegemite is awful stuff. It is fermented hence the bulging cans and pressure release when opening them. We open under water..... It really isn't so bad but I don't eat it any more :hand: and never liked it but most of my friends look forward to it. Weird what you can get used to thinking of as food.

One of the locals will know but I think its history has to do with times when salt was hard to come by back around the 15th or 16th century.

Someone mentioned fox bait. Funnily enough it works very well for exactly that. You hang a can in a mesh bag, walk back 20 paces and shoot it with the 12 bore.... I'm completely serious, I have a can hanging in a tree 250m from my house. I need to refresh it now that you have reminded me :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Try to look at Youtube, there are a lot of good video´s, about tough guys, who eat Surstrømning :shock:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I tinhk I'd rehatr eat a ccok tehn taht fmenerted siht.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

That is so bloody funny. They should of put a little Vic's under the nose. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Looking at the Wikipedia page..... you can read such interesting tid-bits as:

When a can of surströmming is opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odor. The dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya.[1]

and...

Species of Haloanaerobium bacteria are responsible for the in-can ripening. These bacteria produce carbon dioxide and a number of compounds that account for the unique odour: pungent (propionic acid), rotten-egg (hydrogen sulfide), rancid-butter (butyric acid), and vinegary (acetic acid).[9]

It all no doubt adds to the enjoyment.... :D
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

I think I'll pass on it... nasty stuff.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

thechamp wrote:I think I'll pass on it... nasty stuff.
You guys just aren't looking at this right. Seriously, consider, it's a summer party outdoors as the evenings start to get dark again. Folks sitting around having a good time, united by this shared experience, and getting completely wasted in the process because, let's face it, this stuff tastes like shiit. You're young and frankly nothing special, she's young and a knockout... you'd get put off by a bit of rancid fish?
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Vaughan wrote:
You guys just aren't looking at this right. Seriously, consider, it's a summer party outdoors as the evenings start to get dark again. Folks sitting around having a good time, united by this shared experience, and getting completely wasted in the process because, let's face it, this stuff tastes like shiit. You're young and frankly nothing special, she's young and a knockout... you'd get put off by a bit of rancid fish?
Very eloquently put.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Vaughan wrote:

Classic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Vaughan wrote:
So Vaughn what's the pick up line then ?? :? :?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

7x57 wrote:
Vaughan wrote:

I can love surströmming, so you'll taste like a rainbow :lol:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:
7x57 wrote:
Vaughan wrote: You guys just aren't looking at this right. Seriously, consider, it's a summer party outdoors as the evenings start to get dark again. Folks sitting around having a good time, united by this shared experience, and getting completely wasted in the process because, let's face it, this stuff tastes like shiit. You're young and frankly nothing special, she's young and a knockout... you'd get put off by a bit of rancid fish?

I can love surströmming, so you'll taste like a rainbow :lol:
Damn, didn't think of that one. :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

hannu.k

Post by hannu.k »

:lol: :lol:

chemichal warefare :mrgreen:

do it right and you will enjoy it, do it wrong an you will puke fore some time, ;)
Kill moa before it is to late

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Vaughan wrote:
YES! Not a problem at all. There are more women out there than men. And the number of men that are worth their time is dwindling every day. There are many things, (oyster bakes for one) that I skipped in my lifetime and I don't think I've missed a damn thing.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”