9.3x62 Factory Ammo Performance

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

jrl62

9.3x62 Factory Ammo Performance

Post by jrl62 »

I went to the range this morning with my recently purchased R8 Professional in 9.3x62. I had purchased three different factory loads to play with and generate some brass, the PPU 286 grain round nose, the Hornady 286 grain and the Nosler 250 grain Accubond.

The PPU ammo is attractively priced, but my gun does not seem to pattern well using it, averaging 1.5 to 2 inch groups.

The Hornady 286s shoot one inch or less, and are very consistent. Attached is a picture of a .76" three shot group i got this morning.

The Nosler 250s shoot incredibly tight...better than I can typically shoot. Attached is a picture of a .32" group I got this morning with the Nosler 250s. My only complaint is every now and rhen I get a vertical flyer using the Nosler ammo. Not sure why. Al in all I am pleased with the performance of the factory ammo choices.
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Re: 9.3x62 Factory Ammo Performance

Post by 7x57 »

Others will chip in with commentary on factory ammo as I have no experience with it in the 9.3.
9.3x62 loaded factory ammo is difficult to find where I live so from the start I hand loaded as components were easy to find such as Lapua brass and a very good selection of projectiles including Woodleigh pills.
Hand loading for the 9.3 is easy across a wide range of weights and produces excellent groupings and results.
The Noslers have grouped very well for you and should produce good results on game.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have two R8 barrels in 9.3X62 and they each prefer different loads. One is a 20.5" semi-weight fluted and the other is a 23" standard profile. Both of them seem shoot the 250 grain Accubond pretty well though. And the 250 Accubond kills real well.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

I think the PPU factory stuff is the same stuff marked as Highland in Australia. I've used it in my R8, FN 98 and a Sako 75 , it shot well in all those rifles. My son also uses it (no doubt because it's cost is subsidised by me) in his 85.

It also works well in the field. Kills pigs well.

Below us a typical 5 shot 100 yard group from the R8. Shot from a bench but without bench rest equipment.

The only other factory rounds I've fired are Norma in 286 and in 232. Both were accurate (no better than highland though) . Only used the 286 in the bush and the "Alaskan" bullet (I think) killed well. Game shot with the Norma 286 rounds includes scrub bull, pig, dingoe and the odd rabbit.

Red stag shot with 286 grain Norma. High shoulder shot at about 100 yards. Projectile did not exit.

Cheers
Rod
Last edited by Rod on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RexMundi

Post by RexMundi »

Don't you use RWS ammunition over there? I'm not very familiar with all sorts of ammo, but I think a Blaser user over here would typically use either RWS or Norma.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

RexMundi wrote:Don't you use RWS ammunition over there? I'm not very familiar with all sorts of ammo, but I think a Blaser user over here would typically use either RWS or Norma.
I reckon most Aussie 9.3 shooters are using reloads. I reckon most would be using Woodleigh projectiles and Highland brass.

The most common and popular factory round would be the Highland, because of price. I bought about 800 a few years back for $22 for a packet of 20.

My Norma ammo cost me about $100 per packet of 20 or there about when I last bought some about 5 years ago. And RWS, well let's say it was more expensive than Norma and I didn't take out a mortgage to buy any.

Cheers
Rod

jrl62

Post by jrl62 »

I did order a pack of 100 Norma Vulkan 232 grain projectiles to work with. Couldn't find any factory ammo with that bullet and it sounds well suited for thin skinned game. Hopefully it will pattern well also.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

I've got a mate reloading the 232 grain Norma Vulcan pills. They shoot very accurately in his Sako 75. He likes them for pigs.

Personally I reckon anything in Australia hit with any 9.3 pill in the chest is dead.

Cheers
Rod

borge

Post by borge »

All my barrels shoot best with Norma factory ammo. I have shot 3 moose with my 9.3x62 using Norma 232gr Oryx .

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Here is a report I wrote back in 2015 on the 250 grain Accubond in a handload. However, the Nosler 250 grain Accubond Factory Load is very close in performance to my handload.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=10604&hilit=9.3X62 ... 15#p121105
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I only ever shot Highland and S&B in my 9.3x62, the highland was under 1" in my barrel usually just under 3/4" but my reloads were slightly better.
The S&B was about the same as the Highland but was impossible to find.
If you're starting to reload them I had good results with the 286gn Nosler Partition, they are a good price, accurate and will perform perfect on any game animal in Australia.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

SPEEDY wrote:I only ever shot Highland and S&B in my 9.3x62, the highland was under 1" in my barrel usually just under 3/4" but my reloads were slightly better.
The S&B was about the same as the Highland but was impossible to find.
If you're starting to reload them I had good results with the 286gn Nosler Partition, they are a good price, accurate and will perform perfect on any game animal in Australia.
Same as Speedy 9.3 loaded ammo was very hard to find and while I reload I had intended to use factory in the 9.3 as it was an occasional use rifle when I went to Victoria.
Found good components and started reloading using a variety of projectiles just to see what the 9.3 could do. Found it to be a very forgiving and easy calibre to load for. Woodleighs were very accurate as were GSCustom monos. Now settled on Norma Oryx (286gr) because I was offered several boxes at a reasonable price. Haven't tried them on game yet but accuracy has been very acceptable.

Twinn

Post by Twinn »

jrl62 wrote:I did order a pack of 100 Norma Vulkan 232 grain projectiles to work with. Couldn't find any factory ammo with that bullet and it sounds well suited for thin skinned game. Hopefully it will pattern well also.
In sweden the Norma Vulcan 232gr is known as a clusterbomb. Alot of damage in bigger games BUT quick death.

Try it! Its allways intresting of getting a second opinion.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I used to love the 220gn Taipan in my 375H&H, it used to pop pigs open like jumping on a rabbit :P

I've always liked projectiles that do rapid internal damage, as opposed to straight line penetration.

That's the key to a quick death IMO.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

I did some tests with the vulcan in my 9,3x62. A couple of loads showed promising results. The one I attached a picture of was the best I got @100 meters. I also got sub moa group with a shorter COL - 80mm(as in factory ammo) and 2 grains less of powder. The velocity was a little higher(as far as I remember ~ 805 m/s) but I don`t have my notes with me so I'm not 100% sure.
The powder is a serbian made military ball powder,it seems that it`s burn rate is similar to vihta 540 powder or between vihta 540 and winchester 760...
I loaded up some lapua megas with a different powder,but I have yet to test the loads for velocity and accuracy.

Best regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jordan

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”