BB97 stock question

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Vaughan

Re: BB97 stock question

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote:What are your normal ranges for moose?
Less than 100m ;) though I have shot a few at nearer 250m. I know, it'll do just fine - it just doesn't seem right for such a fine rifle to shoot poorly.... :snooty:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Given the way those three groups progressively tighten up, I would definitely try another .5 of a grain.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Well, tried to regulate this thing today. I even read the instructions posted on this site first!
After some very minor messing about I ended up with this (1cm clicks):
2017-08-13 '74R regulation.jpg
Given that I started out with the upper bbl shooting 25cm low with this load :o and a bit left this was surprisingly straightforward. I still have some work to do, I have over adjusted the upper bbl a little and the scope is still off, but my shoulder was asking me to stop today and I figured this was a good beginning. That is a very dead moose no matter which way you look at that target. I'll break the gun down, give it a bit of a clean up and see where it starts again in a few days.... I'm not yet completely convinced it returns to the same POI after its broken down.

You can see the first shot with the lower bbl is a bit off. I flinched and turned my head a little. It happens.... :oops:

A question for you fellows who have done this before - does that rubber insert thing affect the POI of the lower bbl? Please say no.... :pray: :pray: :pray: Logic says it shouldn't or it is a crappy design flaw but I have some suspicions. I
did not test it today but I will.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

It will return to POI broken down and the rubber insert should not affect the POI either.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote:It will return to POI broken down and the rubber insert should not affect the POI either.
Thanks. I knew/hoped those should have been the answers. I guess I'm just a miserable suspicious git...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

dieselten
Meister der jagd

Post by dieselten »

I have 2 BBF's and both of their rubber inserts are sitting on a shelf somewhere

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

dieselten wrote:I have 2 BBF's and both of their rubber inserts are sitting on a shelf somewhere
That was going to be my "plan B". ;)
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I found the point of contact with rubber can trap moisture and start rust.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Vaughan wrote:
mchughcb wrote:It will return to POI broken down and the rubber insert should not affect the POI either.
Thanks. I knew/hoped those should have been the answers. I guess I'm just a miserable suspicious git...
Went back to give it a final tweak today. Oj.....

Started out bang in line and 3cm low at 100m just like I left off. Lovely. 3 clicks up - same POI. Hmm... a few more clicks, nice little clover leaf. what the.... :think: I figured I was really planning to shoot it in at 150m anyway so why waste the ammo and my shoulder. Moved the target. Strelok said it should be about 5 clicks up. First shot was 40cm high! Not 4cm. 40cm!! :o :o

At this point I'm thinking the scopes vertical adjustment is buggered. I'd been having trouble from the beginning, hence these questions. Anyway, I adjusted it back down. Shot 2 rounds into the middle 1" square. Shot the top bbl, it was maybe 3cm cm low but windage was good and given the trouble I was having I wasn't inclined to mess with it.

Laid the rifle down while it cooled. When to take a second pair of shots to be sure and was having trouble getting position on the stock so I could see through the scope properly. I figured I was just so damn angry I was loosing position at the bench. 2 more shots, similar spread as before but again - 40cm high :!: :!:

At this point I was contemplating smashing the scope against the bench and then conscious thought started to penetrate the red mist. Sure enough - it's a rail scope and the recoil had loosened the scope on the mount and it had been creeping forward over the teeth. :oops: :oops: I don't want to think how many rounds down range have been wasted in this effort. Dammit!

I'll check it out once I've calmed down had hopefully that was the problem, and I'll be able to complete the setup without buying a couple more boxes of Woodleigh bullets. My shoulder has taken enough of a pounding as it is - as has my confidence in my ability to shoot this rifle.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Well, that was worse than I thought...... Took things apart and all these little bits of teeth started to fall out. :shock:
20170818_scope damage.jpg
Seems to be no damage to the scope itself, just this part of the Blaser base. I hope it can be quickly replaced. I don't see why the recoil should have caused this. It's not a heavy caliber and the recoil is quite fine - and I'm not that tough..... Anyone seen something similar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Never seen that, but I have seen my Zeiss slide forward under recoil. All was fine after I tightened it down better. I was thinking the Swarovski teeth would fix that problem. I guess not.
Robert J Stokes

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

It is a shame for Blaser that they make this fuzzy insert from plastic - therefor the full performance of the Swarovski SR rail could not be used. It should have been milled from metal instead! This is just a cheap way Blaser goes for saving a bunch of money.

Well, mostly I have seen this happen, when the screws have not been tightened enough (but normaly the recoil should not be transferred by friction from the SR-rail to the scope mount, and therefor it should be independent from the screw´s torque given, but it is not with just the Blaser scope mount.

Call Blaser for a free spare part - they should know how much manure they produce with that cheap plastic insert!!! If they tell You, this is not normal: I have seen more then just this... ! Promised .

Use a torque wrench next time and load the screws to the maxmum torque possible and secure them with Loctite 243.
Last edited by Pigeon on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

The screws were tight to begin with - and I mean TIGHT. But I had not checked then for a long time so they had taken several hundred rounds from my '62 and now 70 odd rounds from the 74R.

I guess they loosened and then the movement shredded the little insert thingy. My mistake for not checking routinely that they were tight.

A bit of a shite though as if this is not shot in and ready by next Thursday I'll need to go back to my 308 for opening week when I'm planning to hunt 6 out of 7 days...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

When you are ready to shoot it again, use some sort of reasonably firm pad between the but and your shouder. A trap vest might be enough. If not slide a piece of firm foam inside it. I must be the only weakling here but I always do this with the 9.3, and increasingly with my 6.5 lb 06. Makes it much easier to shoot well off the bench (for me)

Once you are familiar with how much response you get from a given amount of screw rotation, it will regulate with very little ammo. :)

I too ditched the rubber strip for the same reasons as others.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Hmm thats pretty bad. Hope you get it sorted pronto.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”