308win trail boss load.

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

stokesrj

Re: 308win trail boss load.

Post by stokesrj »

Joe,
Yes, I'm aware, the reason they had issues is that Remington put out a bunch of 300 BLK barrels that were marked 1:7" but were in fact 1:10" barrels. These were giving baffle strikes and ruining peoples suppressors. I got one of those, sent it back to the factory, and they sent it back with another 1:10' so had to send it back a second time. They got it fixed that time after put a note in the box to the gunsmith explaining how I measured the barrel twist rate and how I knew it was wrong.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I do not mean to hijack this discussion, but I have a question. If I am looking for a quiet Trailboss load to shoot small game etc. without spooking big game should I use a heavy bullet like the 220gr. Nosler BT or use a 110gr bullet of some type in the 308 (and 30-06 for that matter)?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thats what I'm working at ATM.

Truth be told a heavier projectile is going to be better, but you need a faster twist rate to stabilize it at slow speed.
I'm working on the 110gn half jackets with the aim of cheap bullets and the round lead nose that will expand on small game.
But the 168gn Zmax is cheap and easier to get subsonic.

A cast 200gn pill made of soft lead would be the perfect pill to use.
But the 190gn mentioned before is a great round for subsonic use, but as mentioned too they need a very fast twist to stabilize.

But for small game any pill will do the job, just find something cheap that will shoot accurate enough.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Another idea, don't know how well it work out, is the Speer 110 grain short jacket hollow point. It might be hard to find a load that would be both accurate and subsonic, but it should work similar to a .22 LR hollow point. They are cheap enough, 15 cents each here in the US. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10109 ... box-of-100#
Robert J Stokes

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

There is a guy in NZ making .308 cast lead subsonic projectiles. It is a 151gr HP design. It expands and kills well at subsonic velocities, O4aK95 uses them with good results.
He has made some 130gr HP .284 proj as well. I don't know how easy it is to export proj from NZ. Otherwise you could try importing some "151gr calibration weights"

Chief

Post by Chief »

Maybe try one the the MP-molds,if you don´t mind casting?
They have hollowpoint 150-ish grains.
I have used their molds before,and I like them.
https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/search-resu ... ute_ids=32

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The speer look good, I might try putting a HP on the hornadys that I have already, but I do have a lot of the Zmax pills left, probably 1300 or so.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

stokesrj wrote:Joe,
Yes, I'm aware, the reason they had issues is that Remington put out a bunch of 300 BLK barrels that were marked 1:7" but were in fact 1:10" barrels. These were giving baffle strikes and ruining peoples suppressors. I got one of those, sent it back to the factory, and they sent it back with another 1:10' so had to send it back a second time. They got it fixed that time after put a note in the box to the gunsmith explaining how I measured the barrel twist rate and how I knew it was wrong.
Wow that is a major quality control cockup by Remington!
Bob that was very astute of you to work the issue out. Never thought of checking the twist rate on an already twist rate marked rifle...very appalling by Remington.

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That is pretty piss poor, I definitely wouldn't have thought about checking that.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I should probably add to this anyway from todays effort what I put on the other post of mine.

I've settled on my load, 10gn of Trailboss behind a 168gn Zmax (Amax) projectile.

This is todays effort.
Top, 168gn Zmax
Middle, 110gn semi jacket 11.5gn Trailboss
Bottom, 168gn Zmax
20180131_132402-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

SPEEDY wrote:That is pretty piss poor, I definitely wouldn't have thought about checking that.
Yea, Remington isn't the company it used to be since it was taken over by the Freedom Group. They are on the verge of Bankruptcy. The customer service person I was working with was laid off during the process, talking with her, she was very upset with the company as you would expect and filled my ear full of all the things wrong and the stupid orders they get from on high. The reason my barrel was replaced with the wrong one was that the work order to the smith simply stated replace barrel. It dropped my explanation of what was wrong. When I then put the information in the box so the gunsmith had something to go on rather than the work order which again said replace barrel, he did it correctly.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Well the only reason they are in financial hurt is because some bright spark decided Hillary was going to win and turned all production into stockpiling uppers and lowers expecting another panic of buyers fearing the rabbid left.
But when gun friendly Trump got in, well no need to panic and Remington got left with a stockpile of unwanted semi's.

Return to “Reloading”