Mount question for R8 and Schmidt Bender PM II 5-25x56

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Re: Mount question for R8 and Schmidt Bender PM II 5-25x56

Post by KZ45 »

I could try them on different contour barrels, but here are some pictures of them on the big 338LM Match.

This is the Tier One. Pretty short, but still plenty of space. Even with the cap.
IMG_3207.jpg
Close up of the ring.
IMG_3208.jpg
Blaser rings.
IMG_3210.jpg
IMG_3211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

[quote="KZ45"]I could try them on different contour barrels, but here are some pictures of them on the big 338LM Match.

This is the Tier One. Pretty short, but still plenty of space. Even with the cap

Nice set up.
How much adjustment does that give you ?

Arminho

Post by Arminho »

KZ45 wrote:I could try them on different contour barrels, but here are some pictures of them on the big 338LM Match.

This is the Tier One. Pretty short, but still plenty of space. Even with the cap.
IMG_3207.jpg
Close up of the ring.
IMG_3208.jpg
Blaser rings.
IMG_3210.jpg
IMG_3211.jpg
And this is the standard mount? Not the high? I called EuroOptic today and they said only the high mount will work.

Arminho

Post by Arminho »

KZ45 wrote:I could try them on different contour barrels, but here are some pictures of them on the big 338LM Match.

IMG_3207.jpg
Close up of the ring.
IMG_3208.jpg
Blaser rings.
IMG_3210.jpg
IMG_3211.jpg

Beautiful pictures. I really appreciate you taking the time to snap these. I think I have it figured out. After looking on Eurooptics website, it looks like the 34mm STANDARD mount only has two screws a side on the rings while the 34mm HIGH mount has 3 screws a side. I think that's why I was so confused.

Ado

Post by Ado »

I also use the Tier 1 + Blaser saddle mount and S&B PMII with a .300WM regular barrel. Interestingly, according to the team at Tier 1 who have measured the Blaser saddle mount it has 12 MOA built-in and which is not advertised by them.

John1911.com
Meister der jagd

Post by John1911.com »

I went with a 1913 rail. Something you may have to consider. Not only do you need to "clear" at the front of the rifle, you need to clear and still be able to pull the eye-box into your field of vision. Some of this is individual. But as a general rule, eye relief shirks the more the crank up the power.

Most hunters don't run 25x scopes.

Here is a pic of my R8 with a match thick barrel, 34mm tube, large objective Steiner. Look how far back the eye piece sits behind the the rear of the bolt. Again…some of this is because of my personal vision. So not.

Also notice up front. You see the big objective, right? Lots of room to clear. The collision is going to be at the cone. Not at the front. Why? Unless you are running a flat-top AR / TAC rifle, the objective is rarely the issue.

Also…different makers have different degrees of cone. Once I had a setup that would only work with a S&B since their cone was steeper.

If I were you, your best bet would be to get the scope in hand. And see how it clears on whatever mount you have. If not, take the scope into one of your local Blaser dealers and see if they will let you set a scope into one of their mounts. If you can't make it work with a standard mount, you'll have to go 1913 plus a ring. I "think" these are Seekin rings pictured. I'd have to check.

Marky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZanedeBeer

Post by ZanedeBeer »

dchamp wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm I use a fixed Picatinny rail for my NF 5.5-25x56 with Warne QD rings and a Swarovski 56mm objective with a std. Blaser QD rail mount.IMG_1727.JPG
Sorry to revive an old thread, @dchamp : what height Warne rings did you use?

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

ZanedeBeer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 am
dchamp wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm I use a fixed Picatinny rail for my NF 5.5-25x56 with Warne QD rings and a Swarovski 56mm objective with a std. Blaser QD rail mount.IMG_1727.JPG
Sorry to revive an old thread, @dchamp : what height Warne rings did you use?
I think they are low because they are only 6mm high. The picatinny mount is about 10-11mm high.
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0914 4.jpg
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

ZanedeBeer

Post by ZanedeBeer »

Thank you @dchamp, much appreciated. It's definitely the low mounts (0.250")

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”