Moose meat taste

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

SPEEDY

Re: Moose meat taste

Post by SPEEDY »

I like to hang my meat for two days in winter, 3 if its really cold.
Actually I've spent too much time putting out trail cameras and scouting Sambar spots.
I should probably go out and get a Fallow to eat.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

stokesrj wrote:Texas A&M did a research project on the quality of venison. The findings were that quality was not so much based on age or sex, but more on the state of weight gain. The best venison was from deer that were rapidly gaining weight such as even old bucks post rut when they were feeding heavily to add weight for Winter. The other factor was how the meat was hanged. The worst being the way we normally hang hams by the hocks. This creates tougher meat by drawing the fibers together. The tenderest meat was when a meat hook was driven through the center of a ham and hung horizontally and aged at around 50 F for five days.
Yep, this^^^^^

If you’ve got the room and the ambient temperature your are best to gut the deer and leave it entire hanging via either a hook through the jaw or rope round the antlers, and leave it for a week.
It takes 72 hours for meat to go in and come out of rigor mortis, cutting and freezing before this just preserves the toughness / rigidity of the meat.

7 days in a fridge as a whole leg, is as near as one can get in warmer humid climates by it at least gives it its best chance of being tender.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

In winter I will be able to hang one in a bag for a week from my back verandah.
That should work out really well.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I miss having a garage with exposed beams in Canberra

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”