Heavy pills in the 308win?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Discogodfather

Re: Heavy pills in the 308win?

Post by Discogodfather »

For a long distance precision target perspective, I recently tried shooting some 200 grain Barnes LRX BT's out of my R93 match 308 barrel. The result was really bad, they essentially destabilized at long ranges, around 800-900 yards. I was sad about this because I like this bullet in some other customs I have that are more like 1:9. Maybe it's just the brand and kind of bullet, but I didn't think much of it.

I shoot 190 SMK's all the time with the R93 tactical but that seems to be as heavy as it likes for optimal accuracy.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I will see what the local shops have tomorrow, I've got to go out anyway.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Discogodfather wrote:For a long distance precision target perspective, I recently tried shooting some 200 grain Barnes LRX BT's out of my R93 match 308 barrel. The result was really bad, they essentially destabilized at long ranges, around 800-900 yards. I was sad about this because I like this bullet in some other customs I have that are more like 1:9. Maybe it's just the brand and kind of bullet, but I didn't think much of it.

I shoot 190 SMK's all the time with the R93 tactical but that seems to be as heavy as it likes for optimal accuracy.
The Barns are probably going transonic at that range and destabilizing as they decelerate through the sound barrier. The 168 SMK does this around the same range unless fired from a really hot loading. It is very frustrating looking for holes in the 1000 yard target from the pit when there is no sonic crack to alert you and half the time the bullet goes through sideways. The 190 SMK avoids this issue.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've noticed one problem with the 220gn Sierra, its mighty big and makes the 308 case look a lot smaller. :lol:
The 165gn Nosler partition looks like a varmint pill next to it.

Its going to chew up a lot of powder space.
20180214_223855-1.jpg
But I'm thinking 38gn of BM 8208 might be a good, safe load to start with, the 200gn is maxed at 39.5 and the 208gn is maxed at 39.2 so 38gn even should be below maximum.
I just cant find anyone thats even loaded it n a 308 and the internet is a big place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

You know when you google stuff and it refers to tour own posts on blaserbuds you realise your own your own learning experience lol!

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That happens to me a lot :lol:

On a side note, I've decided on 37gn of BM8208 for a profitised 2280fps.
That should do what I want, and its only about 150fps behind the 30/06
Its also got 7ft/lbs less recoil, although thats only about 1lb more then my 165gn load.

Actually, the average ADI max velocity for the 30/06 is 2428fps, so in theory the 308win 220gn load should only be 148fps behind the average 30/06 load.
So thats only 6% less velocity while using 31.5% less powder for 88% of the energy

Now take that with a grain of salt, I calculated it while watching mythbusters on a fist full of tramadole.

Edit to add.

I just loaded some up with the 37gn, bugger me did I have to screw the seater out.
It would load and cycle longer, but the die couldn't seat out that far so it got seated deeper.

They are 2.810" long so should be fine and dandy, now to shoot them off tomorrow to check the velocity and accuracy.
The 165gn Partition looks anemic next to it.
20180215_020747-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Looks interesting

Any listed loads for 2208?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

The 150 gr interlocks look positively puny compared to the 220gr woodleighs.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Looks interesting

Any listed loads for 2208?
No loads listed for the 220gn weight at all, apparently QL says I could get 3380fps or so with another 3gn of powder, theres room in the case for it but I don't see any point running it at absolutemax pressure for only another 100fps with 3 extra grains compressed in.

I will load up 3 37.5gn loads to test and see if it gets over the magic 2300fps mark.
Thats nipping on the heals if the 30/06 loke a blue dog on a scrubber.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I'll be interested to see how you think they perform on game. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on the stopping power, penetration and less meat damage.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I figured it would probably perform similar to the 9.3x62, not as empathic but probably not far behind.
Its not about needing it so much as it was a why the hell not give it a go for amusement.
I'd feel just as comfortable with a 130gn TTSX or my 165gn Partitions, but this is about being different for the hell of it.
And now when someone googles the words 220gn and 308win then they will find an answer and direct at least 4 or 5 people in the next 20 years to our site. :lol:

Im going to give AR2206H a go as well, I might as well see where it goes.
But as a side benefit it shoots to the same POI as the subsonic168gn trailboss load I made up.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

If you are happy with the heavier projectiles stabilising then I recommend the 220gr BT Energetics.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm happy with the Sierra, it big, soft and nice round profile nose and only $65 or so a hundred projectiles.

But most of all, both my locals stock it and thats what matters most.
I guess the locals think their 300 mags need a big round nose to work, I actually got a funny almost disgusted look when I informed them I was going to load them in a 308win.
Actually considering all the 338, 300 375 and 9mm ammo they had in stock, and the 3 boxes of 308wi on the shelf, I guess its only there for tourists. :lol:
The other shop, the one in NSW is a little less discriminating. :shhh:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Next stop 240gr woodies in the 308. You know you want to try it.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually I was going to say exactly that :lol:
Note: For ultimate bullet expansion and results, it is recommended that this bullet be fired in a load with an impact velocity no greater than 2400 fps and no less than 1900 fps.
I'm thinking I might be able to get about 2200fps from them, with a BC of .401 that will give me 150m of usable range. :handgestures-thumbup:

If they stabilize that is, do you know where I can get a sample pack from?
Actually I might be able to pick some up next month at the Deer expo.

Return to “Reloading”