6xc

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Re: 6xc

Post by KZ45 »

What powder are you using? I was getting 2950fps out of those boron coated DTAC's and 38.5 grains of RL-17 with the 6XC match barrel. I was going to try to push them to 3100fps, but got distracted by another project.

I think you're supposed to clean the barrel around every 400rnds. I bought his boron kit and coated some other bullets. According to Tubb, the boron coating should make your cold bore shoot no different than the others. I;ve yet to confirm that.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

KZ45 wrote:What powder are you using? I was getting 2950fps out of those boron coated DTAC's and 38.5 grains of RL-17 with the 6XC match barrel. I was going to try to push them to 3100fps, but got distracted by another project.

I think you're supposed to clean the barrel around every 400rnds. I bought his boron kit and coated some other bullets. According to Tubb, the boron coating should make your cold bore shoot no different than the others. I;ve yet to confirm that.

RL 16 37.9 grains. 2947 with uncoated bullets. I figure it will speed up to a bit over 3000 when I have a few hundred more rounds through it. Also it has a full 26 inch barrel.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

I have always liked David Tubb and his products and the 6XC is the one hot 6mm I always wanted to try. I do lots of 6x47 Lapua and its amazing but I have heard the XC is just a little less finicky. Blaser has offered match barrels for the R8 in it, and that would be an amazing project.

I have an R8 chassis that I am grafting into a custom tactical stock I made. Combined with a 10 round magazine, I think an R8 Tactical would be a hot seller on the PRS market. No more waiting for smiths/barrels and able to shoot bugholes out of the box. Plus you could run a practice barrel and then swap for another barrel in competition. The price is extreme but I still think some would be very interested.

That's a really nice rig! I wonder if the boron on those DTACS might increase barrel life?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Corjack wrote:Slowly but surely the 6xc project is coming along. Not sure the Sierra 110s will stabilize at low elevations, and longer ranges . Had a sample of uncharted 115 DTAC bullets. They are shooting pretty good. This morning shot 6 and had an average of 2947 fps ES of 13, and an SD of 4. Got a box of 500 in today that are boron coated. David Tubb says these will just about shoot themselves. Go up to a stage, throw the rifle down, then stand back. Easy peasy! Dave says you can go longer between cleanings with the coated bullets. Since I hardly ever clean a barrel, that suits me fine.
Those DTACs are made by Sierra also, most of my friends that shoot the 6XC competitively used the 115 DTAC for a few years but eventually moved to Berger Hybrids. However, their discipline which is NRA High Power Rifle, requires only 600 yards so that may drive different decisions than PRC. The most common reason I heard was sensitivity to jump length as the throat eroded. But as in so many things the real decision they moved may be peer influence rather than true knowledge.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: But as in so many things the real decision they moved may be peer influence rather than true knowledge.
Yep that sums up most things especially in shooting.

Blaser owners are very aware of this, pretty much all dislike of blaser rifles is generated by a handful of haters.
Their evidence for hating them wouldn't even stand up to the standards set by animinal rights activists for vanning dog shows, but much like in many such examples its a case of scream a lie as loud and as often as you can and people will believe it.

Still its not quite as bad as fisherman and lures but it dies come close.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

A little update. I am at CORE in Baker Florida . There is a major PRS match going on here. I decided I was not quite ready to shoot a two day match yet, so I let a fellow from Louisanna have my slot. I did play around Friday on the practice day. My dope was off .2 tenths. But after figuring that out, was really happy with the precision. They had a plate rack at 515 yards. 8 inch gongs I believe. Put five fairly well centered his as fast as I could run the bolt. A friend who is a really good shooter shot my rifle, and was surprised with the precision. I get a bit of my DOPE variations straitened out I think I will e very happy with the 6xc.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”