Suppressors

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Huntinwild88

Suppressors

Post by Huntinwild88 »

I'm looking for recommendations on a suppressor. I'm going to be using this for an 8x57. When I was in Germany a friend of mine had a suppressor that the mounting threads were located about half way up inside the suppressor. I'm looking for something like that so it's not adding to much more length.

Thanks in advance.

SauerNZ

Re: Suppressors

Post by SauerNZ »

Hi. I have two suppressors, an A-tec Carbon 2 on a Blaser R8 Professional .243, and a New Zealand made Greystone on a Sauer 202 Elegance .25-06.

While they are both excellent, my choice would be the A-tec. It was quite expensive, but is light weight, short and very quiet - and is an over barrel suppressor like your friends’.

If I was to buy another suppressor it would be an A-tec. The only draw back is they achieve their volume by having a larger diameter rather than more length, and this can cause a ‘shadow’ of the suppressor to be visible through the scope. Needless to say I have never noticed it when looking through the scope at a deer!

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The suppressors you saw in Europe that fit over barrel were more than likely A-Tec
http://www.a-tec.no/

I went through this investigation myself and like you have seen many over barrel suppressors in use in Europe. But in the end I decided not to go for the over barrel suppressor in favor of a titanium 7" suppressor with an internal muzzle brake. I came to this conclusion after watching many types of suppressors in 1,000 yard matches. It is true the over barrel suppressors save length but at the expense of diameter and weight. They also do not manage recoil as well.

I decided to go with the ThunderBeast Ultra 7 and have found it to be a wonderful performing suppressor when used on my .308 rifles. If I were using a 8X57 I might come to a different conclusion. The .308 is a very high performance caliber for use in short barrels. I have 23 3/4", 20" and 16" barrels in .308 and they give up very little performance in the shorter lengths. I'm not sure how the 8X57 does in this regard. My .308 Blaser R8 with the 16" barrel is the same length with the TB U7 installed as the standard barrel and is actually lighter. And the TB U7 is just plain more accurate and repeatable when removed and reinstalled.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

A Reflex suppressor, great things and definitely the way I would go, if I had that option that is.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

8x57 is like the 308,it doesn`t give up a lot of speed in shorter barrels. If I had to have only one rifle,it will be in that calibre(8x57is).
Jordan

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

That is probably why in Europe I see so many R8 professionals in a short barrel Semi-weight threaded configuration in either 308 or 8x57. In some shops that is the only R8s on the shelf, one in each caliber. The semiweight diameter allows for more of a shoulder for the moderator to abutt to and those two calibers do well in the shorter barrels.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have a harvester 30 caliber. It is rated up to 300 win mag. The reasoN I bought it was Silencerco told me that it would be fine for my 8x57. It was explained to me that they just did not want a magnum larger than .308 to be shot out of it, as the less clearance the bullet had, and the more volume of gas would rupture it. The tech told me he had shot a 9mm pistol through it just fine. A 338 bullet drops through but a 9.3 will not. Do you live in Mt Home Ar, I am just 50-60 miles from there . Drove through today. We could meet up and you could shoot mine when I get the barrel threaded to see what you think.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Huntinwild88

Post by Huntinwild88 »

Thanks for help guys.
CORJACK. Unfortunately I live in Mountain Home Idaho. I'm glad you said the tech for silencerco told you it would would for the 8x57. I was going to email them and ask them what they recommended.
I'm probably going to be contacting a dealer here soon. So hopefully for Christmas I will actually receive it. I don't see the form4 wait time speeding up anytime soon.

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

Right now I am awaiting the export of a Trash Panda silencer (I manure you not) from the US to the U.K.

The silencer, not suppressor, is made by a company called Q. The founder is Kevin Brittingham who named his children after Aidin Maxim the inventor of the first silencer.

I am guilty of falling for Kevin’s marketing but also his CV has credence. He started AAC at the age of 19. Sold out to Remington and was employed by Sig Arms to develop the silencer division. He would appear to have what we Brit’s call a “Marmite” personality-love or hate. He was fired in spectacular fashion from Sig so I understand and then started Q with engineers he collected on his career pathway.

The result is some very good looking, simple and effective silencers. No bells and no whistles. The Taper design on the muzzle thread does away with any need for ratchet locks or anything of the sort and promotes a concentric attachment. With or without a muzzle brake.

The one thing in the firearms industry us Brits can actually comment on is Silencers. As crazy as that is. We can buy a silencer with the same paperwork we buy rifles with.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I love Marmite, maybe even more then Vegimite, its got more bite to it. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

I use an A-Tec on my .270 and find it excellent, however it is end of barrel. A mate just bought a Hausken which is quieter but a bit heavier. I would recommend them both.

Return to “Open discussion”