Training the young bloke

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Training the young bloke

Post by Rod »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:08 am Awesome photos Rod. Once they get the bug you just keep hooking into it. Young blokes all excited for Easter as we are going up to see the hillbillies for a few days and camping on the Mitta river. So he spend a bit of time working on his skills and trying to catch a few trout. I might chuck the 9.3x62 in and go for a walk one morning and have a crack at a Sambar why I’m there with him.
Looks like a great way to spend Easter

cheers
Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I came back from a Fallow hunt this arvo and bugger me, nothing but cars and caravans winding down the road, no end of them.

Plenty of chase cars too so watch your speed.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Training young hunters to be responsible and ethical hunters is a top priority for me. I had the privilege of hunting with my great grandfather, grandfather, father, and now my sons, and granddaughters. I've shared bits and pieces of my memories of training my sons and grand daughters but after the inspiration of this thread it just seems like a good place to put some more of those pics. I would trade nothing for the memories of days spent afield with my loved ones. I have many more, but here are a few pics. Learning to shoot well is important, some of my sons are top marksmen, some not, but they all understand how to make an ethical quick kill with bow, muzzleloader, rimfire/centerfire handgun and rifle with and without optics, and shotgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Wow, that’s amazing Robert, memory’s for a life time and forever after that. Thanks very much for posting. There’s nothing like passing the baton and it’s such an enjoyable experience. :clap: :clap:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Thats awesome Bob, Im envious 6 generations in one close and united family , :romance-grouphug:
great pics.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Great photos and memories there Robert. Thanks for sharing.
Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I still remember hunting with my grandpa, old man hated guns so I only ever hunted with my Pop, well and my cousins but it was my Pop that taught me to hunt and trap.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Into it on the 1st day :lol:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/YoTOsHFarlM[/BBvideo]

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Gents what great memories and achievements to pass on such a worthwhile discipline to the next generation. I am going to start with my 8 year old this year. I would’ve started earlier but her mother is not from a hunting family and is very nervous about it. If I can do half as well as he I will be happy.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Going through a few of these :D :D

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/eDyIuw5eCu0[/BBvideo]

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Kids love the gratifying feedback of reactive targets, that's for sure. I saw some water bottle lids that are explosive the other day. I haven't seen them in use but the packaging said just remove the lid the bottle comes with replace it with the new lid and it makes a colored cloud when hit. My boys loved shooting tannerite but it is the subject of proposed legislation so may not be available in the future. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tanner ... G_EALw_wcB
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Tannerite is piss easy to make, and cheaper if you do it yourself.
Its just aluminum powder, you can make that in a case tumbler from aluminum foil, the other stuff is just good old ammonium nitrate, mix 5:1 and you have it, its not rocket science.
For it to work with a 22lr you need to add sulphur but I can't remember the ratio off the top of my head.

It will always be around now because its popular and that easy to make.

Edit to add, but I've never tried that in Australia. :shifty:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

stokesrj wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:58 am Kids love the gratifying feedback of reactive targets, that's for sure. I saw some water bottle lids that are explosive the other day. I haven't seen them in use but the packaging said just remove the lid the bottle comes with replace it with the new lid and it makes a colored cloud when hit. My boys loved shooting tannerite but it is the subject of proposed legislation so may not be available in the future. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tanner ... G_EALw_wcB
I worked out with out the powder the explosion was much louder. I’ll post some more in the morning.

Darizpe

Post by Darizpe »

Good job!!! 👍

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”