Any good wallaby recipes?

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

matthewx

Any good wallaby recipes?

Post by matthewx »

A friend said they are not edible but I never believe that. Anyone with any experience?

Matthew

SPEEDY

Re: Any good wallaby recipes?

Post by SPEEDY »

Yes and no, my grandpa used to stew a wallaby bit bacj when he was a trapper he said it wasn't about the taste but the meat and kept him from eating rabbit every day, nan did a better job.
From my memory of them, ain't eaten one in a long time, it's disturbingly similar to Sambar.
Both a little chewy and a really really strong game taste and neither are my favorite meats, but they do beat possum stew.

But to eat wallaby the best way is to dice cut it into chunks, soak over night in strong salt water and black tea, then brown it in a open and put it in a stew.
It's not bad that way, a little curry and mustard powder, malt vinegar and cloves, stew for an hour or two, add potato, sweet potato, carrot, stew until sweet potatoes are soft, add peas and celery, finish it by adding gravy.

At least that's how my nan cooked it.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Best wallaby I've eaten was roasted with garlic by a New Zealander who probably treated it as a lamb leg. They are a pest over there and I ate a fair few but didnt find they worked in stir frys the way the larger species of kangaroos do.

There is still a hunting season for wallaby in Tasmania, largely owing to the fact that if it wasnt for eating them the penal colony would have starved within a few years of arrival down there.

You also have to be mindful that the different species have strikingly different diets resulting in different plant secondary metabolites flavouring the meat - I wouldnt bother eating a black / swamp wallaby unless I had a decent curry paste to mask the flavour

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

When I worked in SW Tasmania back in the early '80s one of the locals used to give me a feed of wallaby patties from time to time. Ground meat mixed with fried onions etc, the usual thing. Remarkably tasty :handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

matthewx

Post by matthewx »

Thanks, I will be eating New Zealand wallabys so all grass fed really:)

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

The patties are good but best mixed with something that has some fat content. We often mix with another ground meat such as pork or beef. Definitely some bacon.
One I really like is a young wallaby leg. Cut slits all over and insert garlic slivers and herbs of your choice ( Rosemary works well). Cover with bacon and cook in the Weber. Treating it like lamb and comes out superbly. Bacon keeps it moist as there is little to no fat on wallaby.
Wallaby tail soup not bad either.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”