Mass Shooting Tragedy In Australia

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

mchughcb

Mass Shooting Tragedy In Australia

Post by mchughcb »

For those that have not heard lately there was a mass shooting/suicide in my home State of West Australia, the most restrictive state when it comes to private firearm ownership. The rhetoric is coming from both sides of any firearm restriction debate. The said reality is somebody living on a hobby decided to slaughter his wife, daughter and four grand children before taking his own life.

It is significant in so far number is higher than four which the media and gun control quickly point to when they say no mass shooting. That is, not more than four at any one point in time committed with a firearm. It doesn't include the couple of hitmen that were running around my district during the drug wars in the last ten years. However I see now that the anti firearm lobby is keen to point out now how may other tragedies have occurred involving less numbers, generally occuring on rural properties with family members.

So when the libtards in the US keep bringing up Australia has no mass shooting since the massive restrictions on self loading rifles and shotguns that then it will be "except for" until the next "outlier".

SPEEDY

Re: Mass Shooting Tragedy In Australia

Post by SPEEDY »

Or forget that a family incident like this could have been done with a knife, fire or poison.
Tragically this was a family and mental health incident and not a firearms one, but that's not how a very vocal minority (and a small minority at that) view it, yet they are completely comfortable with the fact your more likely to die from suicide in Australia then murder and car accident or fire combined.
And firearms only account for a small fraction of murders at that 13% in fact, so in Australia with a homicide rate of 1:100,000 you have what a murder rate of 0.13:100,00 by firearms in australia, to put all that in perspective you have a 8.3:100000 rate of death by lightning in australia.
So you are 55.5 X more likely to get struck by lightning in Australia then shot.

So the moral of the story is if you come to Australia then avoid our magnificent bushland and world heritage parks and spend your time in an indoor gun range, it's much safer.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Spot on Speedy. This will prove to be a mental health issue and rather than have firearms under the spotlight as is the easy thing to do no one will effectively address the real issues that caused this tragic event.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

just a shame. not anything we can do about it. gun owners will get the blame. some kids got killed. double stinkin shame.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

It’s crazy how the media put things. I see in the news paper they have the grandfather as a good bloke. Unbelievable.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I can't understand being able to shoot your kids or grand kids in thus case.
Growing up on the farm I put down a lot of dogs and puppies and I'm man enough to admit it was always a bloody hard thing to do, dogs look at you with a kind of trust and knowledge about what's going on, and it feels like a betrayal.
How much harder and how messed up must you be to do that to any child, let alone your own blood.

If you are that messed up there MUST be warning signs, how can someone not realize your head is that messed up, if if they do then how can they ignore it till something like this happens.
I just can't understand it.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

It's sad to hear about tragedies like this and yet that can of thing happens more often than we know. It's a shame when the cause gets ignored in order to promote such gun/people control. The anti's will never let a tragedy go to waste when they can twist it to their favor even though the gun was not the cause. You rarely hear more than blurb when these things happen with implements other than a gun.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I found this article interesting, informative, and relevant to this conversation. Reminds me of a saying an old carpenter taught me when I was a boy working in the lumberyard. “Don’t believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see.”

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Thanks for a very interesting article. Haven't come across bj Campbell's writing before and found him quite thought provoking.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

There is a good summary of media and gun control responses here
http://thebigsmoke.com.au/2018/05/16/th ... -shooting/

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Corjack wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:25 pm just a shame. not anything we can do about it. gun owners will get the blame. some kids got killed. double stinkin shame.
Pretty much Ron. There is nothing anybody can really do against someone that determined against their own family.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

A little rat poison in the family dinner or better or rather worse yet glycol and the same outcome would have happened.
But the anti's always want to blame the tool and not the tradesmen.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:14 pm There is a good summary of media and gun control responses here
http://thebigsmoke.com.au/2018/05/16/th ... -shooting/
Thanks that's a great article. Objective and pointed :clap:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

and written by a woman who didn't toss in "toxic masculinity" as an underlying cause. I was impressed. I'm guessing this opinion was not widely publicised in the mainstream media?

I did read a couple of other interesting opinions on this, and if you set aside the misandry typical of female commentators on issues involving men and violence, they did make the valid point that it was time the public dialogue about these events stopped reverting to the theme that these are "good blokes who snap under pressure". They're not. They're evil self-obsessed fuzzy bunnies. And no, that's not overly simplistic. A good bloke under pressure, with some mental health problems, might very well go and shoot himself and you could grieve for him because he didn't get the help he needed - he doesn't go and turn the gun on every other poor bugger in his family first. What a piece of subhuman filth.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

A similar tragedy happened yesterday in North Texas, and didn't even garner being the lead story on the local news. No mention of it at all in the national news yet. I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://www.kten.com/story/38205503/five ... -residence

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”