6.5-300 Weatherby

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby

Post by stokesrj »

Looking good, what I almost always do at this point is repeat to see if I get the same results. I seldom do, but it helps me zero in on the variable that truly matters.

I wouldn’t consider using any bullet that is sensitive to .001” variation in seating depth. It is impossible to control to better than .003. I suspect you will find that it was not the critical variable it appears to be. The ogive to tip variation of the bullet is typically .003-.005” within a lot, and lot to lot is typically 2X.
Robert J Stokes

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I didn't move it .001, but .080. The numbers are charge weights.

I will certainly shoot it again, especially since I didn't collect velocity data.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Ok .080 is a good increment fo COL.
Robert J Stokes

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I have a 26 Nosler barrel that is 26" long for my R8. It handles great in the field. Have used the barrel to take a variety of game, including kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok. All one-shot harvests.

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I think the 26 Nosler is a great cartridge. I only went with the 'Bee because I've had such good luck with the 257 and 300 varieties.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Ringo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:45 pm I think the 26 Nosler is a great cartridge. I only went with the 'Bee because I've had such good luck with the 257 and 300 varieties.
When I was hunting in Africa last year, another hunter had the 6.5-300 B and it performed similarly to my 26 Nosler, which is to say excellent. I think he was shooting 127 Barnes which I have not been able to get precise groups from my R8. Nosler 142 ABLRs shoot great in my R8 and have worked well on game. Berger 140 VLD Hunting shoot well but I have shot any game with this bullet.

I have had several 257 and 300 Bs. Both worked well though the 300 was less comfortable for me to shoot from the bench recoil-wise. As I have hunted more big game in Africa than the US, I have switched to 375 which is more comfortable to shoot. The 257 B and and 26 Nosler are of course very comfortable.

The photo is a recovered ABLR from a gemsbok from last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve only taken a couple of animals with th ABLR Bullets and performance has been very good. However I keep reading that they create narrower wound channels than the equivalent weight Partitions and other frangible Bullets. I haven’t found this to be true in my very limited experience but I read it often enough that it makes me wonder. How did the wound channels look to you?
Robert J Stokes

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

stokesrj wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 am I’ve only taken a couple of animals with th ABLR Bullets and performance has been very good. However I keep reading that they create narrower wound channels than the equivalent weight Partitions and other frangible Bullets. I haven’t found this to be true in my very limited experience but I read it often enough that it makes me wonder. How did the wound channels look to you?
The wound channels seem to be better than Partitions. In most cases, there was no pass through except for impalas and baboon which are light animals. No animal has moved far after the first shot. I've used the 6.5 ABLR on zebra, waterbuck, warthog, kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok, impala and baboon.

The top of the ABLR seems to fragment explosively leaving the base intact. Here is a bullet recovered from a large male warthog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”