Mass Shooting Tragedy In Australia

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Re: Mass Shooting Tragedy In Australia

Post by Joe338ST »

ebrownw2 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am A similar tragedy happened yesterday in North Texas, and didn't even garner being the lead story on the local news. No mention of it at all in the national news yet. I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://www.kten.com/story/38205503/five ... -residence
It's big news in Australia again!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

RadScorpius

Post by RadScorpius »

So long a few keeps getting infamous doing this every year, the same tragedy will continue, I don't have a solution, you can't simply stop talking about these things and think it will totally go away.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Tge 1st step is to never mention the shooters names, they want fame so deny it to them.
Tge second step is to highly publicize anytime someone stops a potential mass shooting.

Thats how you change attitudes, the media love mass shootings as it gives them attention again, and they need that attention just as much as any school shooter looser does.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

RadScorpius

Post by RadScorpius »

Yep, tragedes are huge view boost for most media’s now, unfortunately I don’t think the current media trend will stop at this rate, nor will the shootings stop so long those low lives get famous.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

ebrownw2 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am A similar tragedy happened yesterday in North Texas, and didn't even garner being the lead story on the local news. No mention of it at all in the national news yet. I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://www.kten.com/story/38205503/five ... -residence
The media are probably trying to work out how they can lay the blame on Trump before they make it the lead story. :whistle:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 am and written by a woman who didn't toss in "toxic masculinity" as an underlying cause. I was impressed. I'm guessing this opinion was not widely publicised in the mainstream media?

I did read a couple of other interesting opinions on this, and if you set aside the misandry typical of female commentators on issues involving men and violence, they did make the valid point that it was time the public dialogue about these events stopped reverting to the theme that these are "good blokes who snap under pressure". They're not. They're evil self-obsessed fuzzy bunnies. And no, that's not overly simplistic. A good bloke under pressure, with some mental health problems, might very well go and shoot himself and you could grieve for him because he didn't get the help he needed - he doesn't go and turn the gun on every other poor bugger in his family first. What a piece of subhuman filth.
Well the word man hater word has gone into hyper drive this week.

https://youtu.be/h-XdsEggPMI

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

We're so used to this cycle in the USA- shootings that don't fit an anti-gun narrative are ignored (anything to do with criminal behavior or gangs) and then literally go insane over coverage of anything else. Especially schools. The reality is that mass shootings have not gone up at all in nearly 60 years in the USA, and school shootings have increased from an average of 10 people killed per year (vast majority are standard 1 vs 1 crimes of passions by the way) to about 15 per year over the last 10 years. Total deaths per decade average to 150 per year in terms of true "mass" shootings which can be defined as acts of terrorism.

Meanwhile 32,000 a year are killed by guns in the US. 2/3 are suicides, the remainder of 12k are almost 90% due to gang crime (therefore drug related). The fact that the news media and the anti-gun movement focuses on "mass" shootings is in and of itself the ultimate disingenuous and illogical argument. They barely mention the urban gang shootings. They never mention suicide at all.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Add to that the two most worst cities for gun related crime NYC and LA have anti gun democrats in charge and the most restrictive gun ownership in the country.

Not supprisingly they are also sanctuary cities, but guns are the problem not ethnic/minority gangs and drugs. :doh:

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 am Add to that the two most worst cities for gun related crime NYC and LA have anti gun democrats in charge and the most restrictive gun ownership in the country.

Not supprisingly they are also sanctuary cities, but guns are the problem not ethnic/minority gangs and drugs. :doh:
Everything in the USA is a political race issue disguised as something else. The gun violence is produced by places where anti-gunners are in charge so they are criticized by Middle America. In order to erase the criticism they turn it into a gun issue, which angers the very gun friendly people who are criticizing the social polices they believe caused the gun violence in the first place in cities. This has been going on for about 50 years now, rinse and repeat.

I hate how a basic human right has been boiled down to a right vs left nerf ball. Until 50 years ago it was a non-partisan non-issue. And that was during a time when we had four times the murders! So in the time we became more peaceful and responsive (and coincidentally have about four times the number of guns) it has become 10x more polarized.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Discogodfather wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 pm
SPEEDY wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 am Add to that the two most worst cities for gun related crime NYC and LA have anti gun democrats in charge and the most restrictive gun ownership in the country.

Everything in the USA is a political race issue disguised as something else. The gun violence is produced by places where anti-gunners are in charge so they are criticized by Middle America. In order to erase the criticism they turn it into a gun issue, which angers the very gun friendly people who are criticizing the social polices they believe caused the gun violence in the first place in cities. This has been going on for about 50 years now, rinse and repeat.

I hate how a basic human right has been boiled down to a right vs left nerf ball. Until 50 years ago it was a non-partisan non-issue. And that was during a time when we had four times the murders! So in the time we became more peaceful and responsive (and coincidentally have about four times the number of guns) it has become 10x more polarized.
Well said and spot on.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thats the same here, apart from from suicide and the occasional family murder suicide (although fire and knives a way way ahead of guns on that last one) the only firearm viloence is committed by criminals in the drug trade using weapons that have never been registered or legally owned.
Yet police and customs officers have been cought bringing importing pistols and even machine gun parts.

They were investing a a pist office where an employee was part of a ring that imported 200 or more glocks, they knew this from there investigation but come arrest time they only recovered less then a dozen of them.
Criminals are also building machine pistols and sub machine guns. :doh:

So of course legal guns are the issue, not the criminals using the already illegal ones.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”