How do you mount a scope in Talley Rings????

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Cooperfan

How do you mount a scope in Talley Rings????

Post by Cooperfan »

This is my first set of Talley screw lock detatchable rings. I have been trying to figure out the procedure for mounting a scope for the last 2 hours. In the mean time I have scratched my scope in multiple places and stripped 2 screws (probably because I have torqued them 5 times).

I do not have the mounting instructions that normally come with the rings. Please help.

thanks

Coop

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Re: How do you mount a scope in Talley Rings????

Post by retrieverman »

I wish I could help, but my experience with Talley rings is about the same as yours. :oops:

I prefer Leupold PRW or QRW rings.Image

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I hate Tally steel rings, they are a pain in the ass to mount, but they do look good when done. You have to spread the ring halves a little bit so they will not scratch your scope up. Be carefull spreading them as the steel is very soft. Find a piece of steel that is about 1/8 inch thick, place it on a flat work table, lay the top of one ring half on top of the strip of steel with the other end resting on the table, take a block of wood and bear down on the side of the ring so you spring it slightly and the sharp edges do not contact the scope tube, you can also take a piece of wet or dry sandpaper, wrap it around a piece of wood about the size of an old wooden yard stick, carefully polish the sharp edges on the top and bottom of the ring into a gentle radius so it will not scratch the scope tube. Another thing that worked well once when I scratched up the tube of a nice scope, I threw the Tally rings and bases out into the front yard, used a set of Leupolds and lived happily ever after! ;)
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Cooperfan wrote:This is my first set of Talley screw lock detatchable rings. I have been trying to figure out the procedure for mounting a scope for the last 2 hours. In the mean time I have scratched my scope in multiple places and stripped 2 screws (probably because I have torqued them 5 times).

I do not have the mounting instructions that normally come with the rings. Please help.

thanks

Coop

There may be a fan of Talley's here but I don't know any.. I've seen more scopes damaged with those "Famous" rings than you can imagine. Personally wish they'd take the dam things off the market! :evil: Was going to suggest sending 'mauserman' a pm and asking him if he had any suggestions. (In case you don't know, he is actually a real gunsmith so he might be able to give you GOOD advice.)

After seeing Corjacks post I see we have another happy 'former' Tally user... I'll never understand the attraction to those third world pieces of junk! Most here have their favorites, mine are the Burris Signatures that have a nylon or polymer insert that cradles the scope. NO marks EVER from rings! Good luck! ;)

Another out is buying a Swarovski or Zeiss 'rail' scope and never worry about rings again! Now that's progress... :D

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Post by dinsdale »

I have one gun with Talley's,took a scope off and removed rings;had one tiny mark,so I have no complaints.

I didn't mount any of it though,so no help there;sorry.

Dinsdale

Cooperfan

Post by Cooperfan »

I think I know where I went wrong in the mounting process. You must first tighten the 2 bottom screws before snugging up the screw holding the springs. I have also been told that using a toothpick at the top helps spread the rings apart enough to make your eye relief adjustments.

This is my first Blaser Talley mount. I must admit they look really nice on the rifle.

Anyone know of a product to cover up scratches in the scope tube?

Dom

Post by Dom »

After reading this, guess it's probably a good thing I've never used Talley's :o

Only way I've ever covered scratches is with one of those 'Bluing' Pens, kinda like a magic marker, works 'ok' but it's still not perfect, but I don't know of anything that's going to work to make scratches invisible, Waidmannsheil, Dom.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

I've bought used scopes that were scratched and half ass covered the gouges and scrapes with a black magic marker. Other option is to camo the whole thing but you got to do a good job or it'll look like you know what. Lastly send the scope back and have them replace the tube and start over... :lol: :lol: :lol: Swarovski only wants $400 plus shipping for a 4-16 so that'll give you an idea...

mauserman

Post by mauserman »

They are a pain in the butt to mount but they hold really well once they are on and tight. So far I have mounted many scopes in them without scratching the scope. You have to be careful and almost get the eye relief set before tightening the bottom screws. Then you only have to make the crosshair straight. If you think these are a pain , try some some Conetrol rings sometime !

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

mauserman wrote:They are a pain in the butt to mount but they hold really well once they are on and tight. So far I have mounted many scopes in them without scratching the scope. You have to be careful and almost get the eye relief set before tightening the bottom screws. Then you only have to make the crosshair straight. If you think these are a pain , try some some Conetrol rings sometime !

That's cause you're a professional! There is a difference..... big difference! :lol: :lol:

I've never fooled with Conetrols. Always heard they were good but they looked like a pain in the first place and they were a bit pricy for what I thought you were getting.

Zboneee

Post by Zboneee »

Conetrols are great. They're a little tricky to install but are really not that difficult. Also they don't seem prone to leaving ring marks. I've had a set of Conetrols on a Remington M700 for about 25 years, and more recently put some on a WInchester 1885 low wall. They hold very solid, are very lightweight, and are sleeker than almost any other ring set up. The only other ring mounts that compare in that department are S&K. I have S&K "smooth kontour" rings and bases on a Dakota 76 and an Ultra Light Arms, and they are superb. Between the two I now prefer the S&K to the Conetrol. The Conetrol uses a muli-piece ridgid ring, whereas the S&K uses a soft steel split ring. I think the S&K grips the scope just a little bit better with more even pressure, but I don't think you could shoot either one loose. Another benefit shared by both the Conetrols and the S&K is that they are windage adjustable (in case you have an imperfectly drilled receiver). 8-)

elk88101

Post by elk88101 »

you can go online and download the instructions
but the QD's are a little tricky you must secure the bottom screws first do not even put the top screws in till the bottom is tght then adjust the scope and tighten the top and check all of them again do not over do it. I learned the hard way
larry

Vol423
Meister der jagd

Post by Vol423 »

I have mounted dozens of scopes in Talley rings. I don't like how they are split vertically but I never had a lick of trouble with them marking scopes or moving the POI. The key as mauserman said, is to get the scope almost in place before you screw it down. Most of the trouble I see is with people tightening the screws too much. If you don't have calibrated hands, use a torque wrench.

TheWhitetailNut

Post by TheWhitetailNut »

I've got at least 5 scopes in Talley rings on various rifles and mounted maybe 100 more. The only downside to the design is you cannot/should not lap them. Not sure what you have to do to get them to scratch a tube like those out of round Leupolds do.

1. assemble rings on scope loosely with screws only 2 threads in
2. mount bases and torque
3. set rings on bases
4. adjust eye relief
5. adjust level
6. tighten screws evenly, a little at a time so gap is even top and bottom.
7. torque ring screws
8. torque ring clamp to base screw

I will say I have had varying finish quality on my Talleys over the years. The reason I still use them is one sunny day while descending a sandstone mesa in New Mexico chasing elk, the stone broke free beneath my feet. In an effort to save myself, my rifle went clattering perhaps 40 feet down the cliff. When back at camp I shot the gun to 400 Yds, still perfectly zeroed. That rifle was zeroed 4 seasons ago once the load was settled on and has never needed adjustment in over 50,000 miles of travelling to hunt.

I am really excited to try the SR on my Blaser though..

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”