Bipod options for a rookie

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

SPEEDY

Re: Bipod options for a rookie

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd rather a shooting stick for long grass hunting, I only use a bipod when I'm somewhere I know I can lay down and take a shot.
I personally only use a 6"-9" Harris tilt bipod for that reason, dam walls, benches, short grass and from a vehicle.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Makes sense, although for me prone is always best if possible.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

secondtry wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 am
SPEEDY wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 pm If you shooting over short grass I like a 9"-12" set but for high grass then you need the big bulky 12"-25" range so you can shoot sitting.
Sitting and using a 25" rifle height would sacrifice a lot of steadiness - yes ? Might be better do some gardening :lol: if possible and stay low. I'm thinking of a pic rail under the forend of my 308 for a QD bipod, but I do like the looks of these mega buck options and mounts.
Deerhunter338 has mounted a pic rail under his R93 forend. It works a treat.... I'm thinking of doing the same to my R8.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

R93 Professional stock is very easy to do. But the R8 professional has a few small channels in the bottom of the stock. You just navigate around that and shouldn’t be a problem.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:52 pm R93 Professional stock is very easy to do. But the R8 professional has a few small channels in the bottom of the stock. You just navigate around that and shouldn’t be a problem.
Might get you to come around one day and get you to give me a hand to get that job done.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Joe338ST wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:55 pm
deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:52 pm R93 Professional stock is very easy to do. But the R8 professional has a few small channels in the bottom of the stock. You just navigate around that and shouldn’t be a problem.
Might get you to come around one day and get you to give me a hand to get that job done.
Too easy, I just bought the rail off Aaron which was from macmillian, as you want a well made rail and not a cheap chines knock off. Then just fitted it.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm
Too easy, I just bought the rail off Aaron which was from macmillian, as you want a well made rail and not a cheap chines knock off. Then just fitted it.
Now there's a coincidence. I also have a McMillan rail on the way. :D The 4" model with provision for push button detachable swivel. Seems to be well thought out - as long as the swivel doesn't detach of its own accord :lol:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

secondtry wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 pm
deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Now there's a coincidence. I also have a McMillan rail on the way. :D The 4" model with provision for push button detachable swivel. Seems to be well thought out - as long as the swivel doesn't detach of its own accord :lol:
This is the one I got and it has a button that you just about need 2 hands to unlock it. I doubt very much it would detach. I use loctite on every nut to insure it don’t come off. I also got mine from Brownells when you could buy from them in the US.
1884DEF5-8810-4C38-8540-2B58A2099AA1.jpeg
37DE4EDB-0DE8-4C57-80C1-2BCD6F440C0A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Thanks for that. Detachability is most important to me. I don't want a heavy, clunky tuning fork hanging off my rifle when I don't need it :)

It looks like the 9" to 13" height would be more useful than 6" to 9" ?. Anything I could do with 6" to 9" I could do with my pack. Any thing higher than 9/13 and we are in sticks territory.

Do users prefer the swivelling models ?

I used a non swivelling model recently on uneven stoney ground, and trying to get everything level and uncanted by fiddling with the leg lengths was a pain- and slow.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Does anyone have any experience with the Harris detachable bi-pod mount ?

This mount has some panning capability which could be useful, but the actual attach/detach mechanism doesn't look to have any camming action and doesn't look particularly robust or snug.

Harris do claim that the mount has wide military use which normally means unbreakable :lol:

Darizpe

Post by Darizpe »

Is there a good not attached tripod rest 9-15 inches as good as a fixed bipod that one can easily carry on the field?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

There are a couple of bipods that are lightweight and designed to be attached to the rifle just prior to the shot being taken. Blaser makes one and so does spartan. I personally don't care for them but others have found them to do a good job.
My personal preference is to build a prone shooting position using my pack if the terrain allows and if it doesn't to deploy my Outdorsman's tripod, shooting rest and rear support. I find this especially helpful when I have stalked a bedded buck and am just waiting for him to stand up and offer a shot. I was just practicing with this rest last week out to 800 yards and it is more than steady enough to get the job done at that range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEuhRYsksE
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I'm also a big fan of getting prone over a pack. The simplicity is appealing, and it's undoubtedly effective. Just thinking about how to add a bit more versatility.

That Outdoorsman setup is definitely steady and well thought out, but not something to carry around on my back.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”