Woodleigh 30 Cal 220gr RN SN

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Re: Woodleigh 30 Cal 220gr RN SN

Post by TheoR8 »

mchughcb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 am with a mate who promptly dropped it with his 300 Win Mag using 200gr Norma Oryx.
Chuck, How did these perform?? :handgestures-thumbup:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Very well too. They passed straight through.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

mchughcb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:04 am Very well too. They passed straight through.
Thanks, good to know. :handgestures-thumbup:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Sorry Theo, that was 180gr Oryx.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

mchughcb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am Sorry Theo, that was 180gr Oryx.
Cheers mate. :handgestures-thumbup:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Please do not take this as me trying to start an argument, but what makes Sambar so tough? I have never shot one or seen one in person so I truly do not know. I looked them up and they are smaller than an elk which I have hunted and shot, but the discussion of calibers and loads are usually way beyond what people generally discuss for use on elk or even moose. Do they have a larger bone structure,or thicker hides? Is it the habitat they live in that makes recovery harder? I have found the discussions very interesting and have learned some things and I would really like to hunt one someday.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've never shot a Sambar either, like you I've shot many elk and quite a few moose, so was wondered the same thing. What I have been able to discern is that they are more heavily muscled, with bulkier leaner shoulders, which absorb more of the bullets energy before reaching the vital organs. At least that is my take on it from afar. Hopefully some of those with real experience will set my thinking straight and enlighten us both.
Robert J Stokes

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 pm I've never shot a Sambar either, like you I've shot many elk and quite a few moose, so was wondered the same thing. What I have been able to discern is that they are more heavily muscled, with bulkier leaner shoulders, which absorb more of the bullets energy before reaching the vital organs. At least that is my take on it from afar. Hopefully some of those with real experience will set my thinking straight and enlighten us both.
Bob, I would concur with that from a structural point of view but would also suggest it’s in the physiology. They have evolved with tigers as their main apex predator, so the ability to absorb shock ( ie a partially effective tiger attack) and run hard was the difference between survival and being lunch. Agree many other animals have to deal with large apex predators, but for some reason they seem to be able to absorb shock and run? GBE has done a lot more in this field so suggest he comments here.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

MM wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm Please do not take this as me trying to start an argument, but what makes Sambar so tough? I have never shot one or seen one in person so I truly do not know. I looked them up and they are smaller than an elk which I have hunted and shot, but the discussion of calibers and loads are usually way beyond what people generally discuss for use on elk or even moose. Do they have a larger bone structure,or thicker hides? Is it the habitat they live in that makes recovery harder? I have found the discussions very interesting and have learned some things and I would really like to hunt one someday.

I don't know if they are tougher than elk because I haven't shot an elk. I haven't shot enough moose either to compare any meaningful statistical conclusion. The moose that I have shot and seen shot in the field have gone down much easier than a sambar using similar calibres at similar distances with similar hear/lung shot placement: - 308Win - 300 Win Mag.

The hide on a sambar is thick and comparable with the moose that I've field dressed. The habitat can be quite dense where they run to making extraction difficult. Can't comment about comparison of bone structure other than a CT scan of a sambar stag showed that the frontal skull bone was over 25 mm thick.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Funny thing is the boys spotlighting them don't have to go far to lop the heads off em. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

MM wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm Please do not take this as me trying to start an argument, but what makes Sambar so tough? I have never shot one or seen one in person so I truly do not know. I looked them up and they are smaller than an elk which I have hunted and shot, but the discussion of calibers and loads are usually way beyond what people generally discuss for use on elk or even moose. Do they have a larger bone structure,or thicker hides? Is it the habitat they live in that makes recovery harder? I have found the discussions very interesting and have learned some things and I would really like to hunt one someday.
Their physique is definitely tougher and more ruggedly put together than other deer species, but that is not what makes them hard to kill (unless head/neck shot in a spotlight).

Any reasonable calibre with a good bullet in the right place will inflict lethal damage, BUT they simply will not quit until brain and body are incapable of functioning. It's this tenacity for life that makes them "tough"

As others have said they have evolved in a hard school, and even a 50 yard dead run can make them very hard to find in thick country.

Return to “Reloading”