New guy from PA

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Tarheelpwr

New guy from PA

Post by Tarheelpwr »

Hey everyone!

I’ve newly discovered the R8 platform, and I’m hooked. I will be unloading my traditional bolt actions to consolidate. I LOVE the idea, but I’m more than a little overwhelmed as where to start, etc.

What is the best/cheapest way to get into a LW set up? Is 6# doable? I’m looking to start with a semi custom 6.5CM having Elmer spin me a barrel. I’ll likely wait for the PSE composite stock to hit the market.

Is there a good resource for component weights? How about mag lengths? Curious if the standard .308 mag insert will allow me to do justice with the 6.5CM.

Chris

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: New guy from PA

Post by pagosawingnut »

Welcome aboard. The Blaser's are addictive.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome to Blaserbuds, you will find most of the information you are looking for. We started but have not finished a component weight resource. There are so many variables that it is difficult to get it all together. If you mean 6 lbs without optics that is very doable. If you mean with optics I personally think the compromises would be to great and would instead set a goal of 7 pounds. I have taken a Grand Slam of Sheep And had a custom rifle built specifically for that task, a Prairie Gun Works titanium action, Mcmillan ultralight hunter edge stock, a skinny fluted barrel and a Swarovski Z5 scope, It weights 6.25 pounds all up. But if I had it to do all over again I would use my R8 with Petes carbon stock. I just wrote up a field test on it today.
Robert J Stokes

Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

Thanks Stokes. I was referring to that weight without optics. I’m shooting for about 7.5# with optics running a 20oz scope. If I get lucky on a TRUE mountain hunt, I can use a lighter scope.

Are the 2 pc and 1 pc stocks interchangeable? Or, do I have to start with a specific “action” for each style?

I’ll try to find your post on the CF stock. Thinking about that, it’s a nice option to be able to swap out the for end for a heavier barrel.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, the professional receivers which use a one piece stock are different than the Jaeger, Luzus and so on that use a two piece stock. You have to make up your mind which way your going before starting. Otherwise you will wind up like me with several of each.
Robert J Stokes

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-welcomewave: to BlaserBuds Chris. :handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Welcome to the club, if your looking to hunt hard and want light weight then a R8 carbon success might be just the ticket, but for only a 300gm saving in weight I'd rather an R8 professional.

Or getting a standard R8 then buying some carbon furniture for it.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Welcome to the board. I wouldn't waste too much time looking for that perfect R8.... many of us have done that and now we own.... well let's say more than one. You'll find as you get accustomed to the rifle that one frame isn't going to work for you anyway. You'll want several rifles that are assembled that you can grab one of to go hunting or to the range whenever you're ready to do so. You might want to run over to EuroOptics and take a look at their selection of R8s. Alex should have a good assortment. Then plan on going to some of the large sporting shows in the fall where you'll see Blaser's own lineup of newbies. Your show in Harrisburg should have a good selection. Dallas Safari Club and the main Safari Club International shows will have a lot to feast your eyes on. Won't be long and you'll be as addicted as the rest of us.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's true, we all chop and change a lot till we find that perfect something, or decide perfect just doesn't exist and settle for something we love instead.
I went through 5 different R95's until I settled on the Luxus, not because it was the best but because I love it so much.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

Thanks everyone.

I plan to hit up Eurooptic. They’re about 4 hours away, so next time I plan a trip up to the field, I’ll hit them up.

Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

After looking at their site, looks like a couple other dealers are very close.

Cove Creek is about 2 hrs away and has a huge selection.

High Grade shooter is right at 1 hr away.

Joel Etchen is about 90 min.

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”