Summer Sausage

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: Summer Sausage

Post by secondtry »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:20 pm Any idea how essential the Morton’s tenderiser is for this recipe?
Morton's say it's not a tenderiser. Its a curing mix.

If you check out the ingredients on Morton's web site, I have no doubt that something very similar can be found locally.

Certainly in latte land such things are readily available, although such sophistication of offerings has never been present in any deep north supermarket that I have visited. :snooty: :lol:

I'm sure that you can make something up. Just keep your hair out of the mixing bowl - maybe a man bun would help :lol:

I also note that some of the ingredients appear to be the same as we put in home made salami to avoid killing ourselves, which also should help the sausage keep well. :D

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

So what ratio of nitrite to nitrate vs sodium chloride is in Morton’s?

And again the latte lovers are proving my point, just like vegans tell everyone how wonderful it is to be be vegan, Victorians can not resist bestowing accolades on their state whilst the rest of Australia don’t give a fornicate. The fun part is Victorian taxes paid for me to live in Victoria whilst I was there and formulate these opinions :lol: :lol: :lol:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm So what ratio of nitrite to nitrate vs sodium chloride is in Morton’s?

And again the latte lovers are proving my point, just like vegans tell everyone how wonderful it is to be be vegan, Victorians can not resist bestowing accolades on their state whilst the rest of Australia don’t give a fornicate. The fun part is Victorian taxes paid for me to live in Victoria whilst I was there and formulate these opinions :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think your comprehension is slipping :naughty: I was simply pointing out that our food choices are (or used to be) somewhat broader than the deep north. One would be hard pressed to interpret that as an accolade, although if you chose to interpret my tone as derogatory, your comprehension may not have slipped too far. :lol: Accolades are risky ground, particularly with our current government and our non existent problems with African criminals. :lol:

Now to get back on topic, I expect that Morton's would be the best source for an answer to your question, although I'd be surprised if they give you one.

Google will be your friend. Use some of that Vic taxpayer funded learning and you should be fine.

If you can find a home salami maker who has survived a few batches without getting botulism they should be able to give you some tips on the mix. I am just a labourer when we make it, and don't have access to the intellectual property.

Report back when you have the answer(s) :)

Gun Barrel Ecologist

You talk of reading comprehension, do you think the question of % composition was for you or a US member who can access the details on the back of a packet?

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 pm You talk of reading comprehension, do you think the question of % composition was for you or a US member who can access the details on the back of a packet?
Relax GBE :D You'll do yourself an injury.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Morton Tender Quick is .5% Sodium Nitrate and .5% Sodium Nitrite. The rest is just salt and sugar but it doesn't say the ratio of those but salt is the first ingredient then sugar and then the Nitrate and Nitrite then Propylene Glycol.
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Thanks Robert

That’s a lot of plain salt and sugar. I was thinking it’d be 5% rather than .5 :think:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:35 am Thanks Robert

That’s a lot of plain salt and sugar. I was thinking it’d be 5% rather than .5 :think:
GBE have a look at this site.... It will have all the stuff you need to make sausages...

https://www.huondistributors.com.au

Only problem is that it's in Wodonga, just on the Victorian side of the border with NSW..... :D

They prefer to serve Cappuccino there rather than Latte I think.... :D
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

The Australian view on nitrites is to only use for air dried charcuterie, not Oven cooked
DO NOT USE A CURE CONTAINING NITRATES FOR MEATS LIKE JERKY, SEMI DRIED SAUSAGES OR BACON. NITRATES NEED TIME TO BREAK DOWN BEFORE HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/cure- ... alami-etc/

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Ok,

I,m calling a truce to the border dispute here and let’s get back to the topic at hand.

The closest we have to MTC in Oz is insta cure 1, though it is missing the small amount of nitrate. Agree do not use the instant cure no 2 in cooking. The good thing about no1 is that you get levels for sausage smoking or making Smokey jerky so if concerned about fridge life you could moderate the dose upwards slightly promote longevity in the fridge.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Thanks
Is the 0.5% nitrite that dangerous to human health or is this one where Australians are more paranoid about food additives than the US?

To my knowledge the classic red salami colour is due to the nitrite.

From a cook and eat that day perspective 1 T of freshly ground rock salt and a sprinkle of sugar would develop a similar flavour to the original recipe. The biggest problem would be squeezing the sausage in the foil to remove air spaces if your mincer only yields a course ground.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 am Thanks
Is the 0.5% nitrite that dangerous to human health or is this one where Australians are more paranoid about food additives than the US?

To my knowledge the classic red salami colour is due to the nitrite.

From a cook and eat that day perspective 1 T of freshly ground rock salt and a sprinkle of sugar would develop a similar flavour to the original recipe. The biggest problem would be squeezing the sausage in the foil to remove air spaces if your mincer only yields a course ground.
Refer to my previous comment re regulations. Nanny state mentality at its best.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Interesting thing about nitrates is that they are great as preservatives... but may be carcinogenic.When you add nitrates to meat they supposedly form nitrosamines. Nitrosamines when fed to rats is linked brain cancers. However there is no link that I am aware of in humans. If you eat fruit after eating preserved/ cured meats, the fruit contains indoles and the indoles convert the nitrosamines to indole amines which are safe.....food for thought... learnt that about 30 years ago in med school....
Some people just use plain salt as a preservative, but portions have to be right and much higher than meats that have nitrates...
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

That sounds good! I will gather the spices and give it a go.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Vonris

Post by Vonris »

All this cooking is very difficult for me, it's easier for me to buy.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”