Barnes 112 Grain Match Burners

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

Barnes 112 Grain Match Burners

Post by Corjack »

Finally got my hands on a Box of the 112 grain Barnes 6mm bullets. I have shot the 6.5 Matchburners with excellent results. I have read the 112s are very tolerant to jump. One of my 6xc barrels likes the Sierra 110s as long as I keep them at less than .015 of the lands. My other barrel does not care for them at any depth. Nice thing about the Barnes bullets is, they are cheap, and shoot well. I am hoping it likes these. I stuffed up a few to try tomorrow.
IMG_6561.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Barnes 112 Grain Match Burners

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm Finally got my hands on a Box of the 112 grain Barnes 6mm bullets. I have shot the 6.5 Matchburners with excellent results. I have read the 112s are very tolerant to jump. One of my 6xc barrels likes the Sierra 110s as long as I keep them at less than .015 of the lands. My other barrel does not care for them at any depth. Nice thing about the Barnes bullets is, they are cheap, and shoot well. I am hoping it likes these. I stuffed up a few to try tomorrow.

IMG_6561.JPG
They look alright, what’s the BC like with them and are they a target projectile only or can be used for hunting. I know with the Sierra we tried them for hunting and had to modify them a bit, but still not the best. Barnes have always made good hunting projectiles so be interesting to know if these guys could be used.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:00 pm
Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm Finally got my hands on a Box of the 112 grain Barnes 6mm bullets. I have shot the 6.5 Matchburners with excellent results. I have read the 112s are very tolerant to jump. One of my 6xc barrels likes the Sierra 110s as long as I keep them at less than .015 of the lands. My other barrel does not care for them at any depth. Nice thing about the Barnes bullets is, they are cheap, and shoot well. I am hoping it likes these. I stuffed up a few to try tomorrow.

IMG_6561.JPG
They look alright, what’s the BC like with them and are they a target projectile only or can be used for hunting. I know with the Sierra we tried them for hunting and had to modify them a bit, but still not the best. Barnes have always made good hunting projectiles so be interesting to know if these guys could be used.
Around .620 G1 and just a target bullet.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 pm

IMG_6561.JPG
Thanks Ron :handgestures-thumbup: that’s still a great bc they plain on working it out in G7 or just sticking to G1

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks Ron :handgestures-thumbup: that’s still a great bc they plain on working it out in G7 or just sticking to G1
Not sure on the g7 but I think I can calculate it on my Kestrel when I get to shooting them.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm
deerhunter338mag wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Not sure on the g7 but I think I can calculate it on my Kestrel when I get to shooting them.
I’m so close to buying the new Kestrel with the AB program but the only thing letting it down is no look angle. I know if I buy the current one they will bring it out with an angle indicator built in. :doh:

hpmr

Post by hpmr »

Any results with the match burners? On paper they look promising, especially given the price. Looks like Nosler offers RDF in 115 now, but given my experience with the 105s im a bit hesitant jumping on those...

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Going to shoot a few this weekend out to 600 yards. Been busy with work and the weather has not cooperated.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Played with the 112 match burners today. Windy as heck . Tried 38.7 grains H4350 and 15 off the lands. SDs way to high. Pushed them in 5 thou, and still to high pushed them in another 5 thou and got an SD of 6 and es of 18. Put up some paper and accuracy was plenty decent considering how much the wind was blowing me around trying to shoot groups. Still managed to keep things well under a half inch, and the consistency was there. Could hold a spot and just about hit it every time. My brass is getting a bit raggedy on me, or things could certainly be better. Read a bit and guys are finding a G7 of about .320 . That is what I loaded into my Kestrel. Will try and sneak over to range and shoot at 600 yards to see if the .320 holds to 600 yards. Jumping 25 thou and I really do not want to go any deeper. Average was 2961. Pressure looked good. If the accuracy needs to be better when I try it at 600 yards, I might bump it to 38.9 grains of H4350 and see if it helps. Would like to stay with 38.7 if possible.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Went to the range today. Fired these three at 600 yards. A bit under three inches. It was pretty gusty with winds quartering in to me. Shot a fourth shot and hit the spot with the other two. Then a gust of wind got me, and strung one to the left about two inches of where the three had printed. Gave me about a five inch group at 600 yards. Consider the gusty wind, and my brass being on its last legs, I am pretty happy with this. My verticle never exceeded 3 inches for five shots. The 320 g7 was holding to 600 yards. Elevation was perfect.
IMG_9085.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

that is some awesome shooting.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Nice shooting Ron. It’s always nice to see how good your going at the other end.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”