Benchrest actions?

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Chief

Benchrest actions?

Post by Chief »

I guess precision subjects go here?
While I think my guns are accurate enough for what they are meant for,I do have to test benchrest some day,and
that day is coming sooner rather than later me thinks.
LV/HV short-range is what I am aiming for.

There seems to be a lot of actions out there now,so other than looks, is one better than the others?
Reading around on the interwebs,the only action/maker I struggle to find anything negative about
is Borden,which I find interesting.
Perhaps his output is low or I am looking in the wrong places.?
Anyway,I know some of you have actions from benchrestactionmakers(hows that for a long word),so I thought I`d ask if I should look at a particular brand, or just buy what is available the fastest?

stokesrj

Re: Benchrest actions?

Post by stokesrj »

My only benchrest action is a Stolle-Panda that Speedy Gonzalez (4 time US national bench rest champion) barreled for me. It at the time was considered the premier benchrest action because it was easier to get bedded with precision due to it's flat bottom rather than round bottom. It certainly lived up to my expectations and I've shot many groups in the 1s with it.

I don't think the action is that critical as long as it is set up right, the bedding is far more critical than the action used in my limited bench rest experience. I took a class at the NRA school of gunsmithing in Trinidad Colorado when Speedy was the dean of the school. He was running a class on bench rest rifles while I was there. I didn't take that class but would meet a friend every day at lunch that was. Sometimes Speedy would join us and several times we went to dinner together. All Speedy could talk about was benchrest, that was his passion so I got to hear all about it. He started with sleeved Remington actions to make them stiffer and then blue printed them but told me to simply skip all that and go to the Panda as it was as rigid and far easier to get a flawless bedding job with. Or, if using a round action don't try bedding with a release just epoxy it to the stock permanently. Otherwise, the action will move around in the stock ever so slightly and mess up a .1" group.

I think the Bordon is a great action but it is a round bottomed action and subject to the limitations of that design. It is more favored by the PRS crowd, and tube gun crowd, than the bench rest crowd unless that has changed in the recent few years.
Robert J Stokes

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

If you look at the match winners for the last 15 or so years, BAT actions are by far the most common in the winners circle. I have 4 BR rifles in 6PPC. 3 are on BAT Model B actions, and one is on a DS action. They all shoot very well.

But you also need to realise that a BR rifle (all rifles, but its much more noticeable on a BR rifle) is a system, and every part - the action, barrel, trigger, stock, optic, etc - must be excellent to get the best out of the equipment.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Everyone I know that has a BAT action always seems really excited to be a BAT owner. Usually ends up owning multiple actions. Never seem to get that excitement feed back from owners of other brands.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Chief

Post by Chief »

I have seen Panda owners that have several,and before with Stiller as well.
BR guys seems to be like the rest of us when it comes to flavour of the month.
I would not mind a Panda,especially one barreled by Speedy,or a Bat.
I have looked at the winners equipment lists,and Bat do come up more.
Is that because they are better,because of the myriad of options,price,availability or..?
Do people actually shoot what is on those lists?
I have read they are made in advance of the big competitions.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Rifletuner wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 pm If you look at the match winners for the last 15 or so years, BAT actions are by far the most common in the winners circle. I have 4 BR rifles in 6PPC. 3 are on BAT Model B actions, and one is on a DS action. They all shoot very well.

But you also need to realise that a BR rifle (all rifles, but its much more noticeable on a BR rifle) is a system, and every part - the action, barrel, trigger, stock, optic, etc - must be excellent to get the best out of the equipment.
My 338sniptac is been built on a bat action, so i'm excited to see how it goes once finished. :pray:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

I'm sure it will shoot great. My first build on a BAT action was a 338 Lap improved. I believe it was the second BAT action imported into this country. I have bought another 6 BAT actions since then, and all but one have been outstanding shooters.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Rifletuner wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:31 pm I'm sure it will shoot great. My first build on a BAT action was a 338 Lap improved. I believe it was the second BAT action imported into this country. I have bought another 6 BAT actions since then, and all but one have been outstanding shooters.
I can't wait, I've had a few little things done to it, to help cut the weight down. Its just a time thing now wait for all the parts to arrive.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, worst part about being here. Once you decide what you want is having to wait for parts to arrive. Pretty much count on a 12 month cycle just to get the parts you want for your build.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 am I can't wait, I've had a few little things done to it, to help cut the weight down.
Cut the weight down ? On a 338 Snipetac ? Que ? :lol: :lol:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

secondtry wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm
deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 am I can't wait, I've had a few little things done to it, to help cut the weight down.
Cut the weight down ? On a 338 Snipetac ? Que ? :lol: :lol:
Yep the aim is to get it around the 7kg mark scoped. A 100grams here and there all add up to kg’s. All in the design and yep at a cost as well. The scope is the problem atm on what to get. NF are heavy as the Swarovski is lighter :think: :think:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Rifletuner wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 pm Yes, worst part about being here. Once you decide what you want is having to wait for parts to arrive. Pretty much count on a 12 month cycle just to get the parts you want for your build.
Yep that’s right and current the barrel companies are currently into building for the military so they have priority which is fully understandable. No rush it happens when it happens.

Chief

Post by Chief »

Found a used rifle I am buying,with an action I am fairly certain is unknown to most of you.
Might not be the best,but it is a more affordable option of testing if this stuff is for me.
Won´t get it in a long while,work and whatnot,but I`ll update once I have it in hand.
Thanks for the help gents,much appreciated.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”