300 PRC

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

300 PRC

Post by Corjack »

Attended an event at FTW ranch last week. One of the showcased items was a Berggara rifle in 300 PRC. Conditions were blustery. Had to hold 6 mils wind on a 36 inch target at 1880 yards. We had about 9 shooters and 6 out of 9 connected on the first shot, the other three connected on the second shot.

I have given this a bit of study, and as is par for the course, I expect to read a lot of post about well, this is better, or that is better, or they been making such and such for years, and no need to reinvent the wheel. I think the 300 PRC may beat all of them lumped together in sales numbers for 4 reasons.

1. Ammo is in stock. And in stock a lot of places.

2. Factory ammo is in stock for 2.25 US dollars a round. About half the price of alternative calibers .

3. Recoil on a weight proportional rifle with a brake is moderate.

4. It is accurate and it works.

The 6.5 Creedmoor gets a lot of bashing from critics, but Hornady set the bar with pricing and availability that other company's have to match if they are going to play . The 300 PRC will likely be the same . Keep ammo accurate, affordable, and available, and it will be a winner for Hornady and consumers alike.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

slugslinger

Re: 300 PRC

Post by slugslinger »

Concur, I think this cartridge is going places. It addresses some of the shortcomings of the 300 Win Mag (belted, short neck, made to fit the 3.340 receivers, limited capacity especially with heavy for caliber bullets). You can already see some interesting comparisons with other cartridges, like the 300 Weatherby Magnum and 30 Nosler. Much like the recent 6.5 PRC, I think Hornady put some serious thought into this one.
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

I think the 300Wby mag in the right hands is an awesome 30 cal rifle, but the king is the 300 norma mag for long range. I'm not sure if the 300PRC will be the new man bun gun of the future but it sure looks good and handy to have a good factory load. I don't think this guy is a big fan 300PRC. :lol:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/DCx7BdHMrKs[/BBvideo]
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

In the US, affordable factory fodder and good marketing are key. With the 300PRC, you get the latest and can afford to shoot it. At my range, most shooters don't reload. I get a lot of 1x brass!

I think it will do well overall.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 am I think the 300Wby mag in the right hands is an awesome 30 cal rifle, but the king is the 300 norma mag for long range. I'm not sure if the 300PRC will be the new man bun gun of the future but it sure looks good and handy to have a good factory load. I don't think this guy is a big fan 300PRC. :lol:

The real gunsmith is a conceited fool.
Robert J Stokes

Archerfish

Post by Archerfish »

With all due respect to "The Real Gunsmith", I think the 300 PRC is worth looking at with an open mind just like any other caliber. Most of the comments I have seen from people that have actually shot it seem to be positive.
Archerfish
NRA Life Endowment Member

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm
deerhunter338mag wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 am I think the 300Wby mag in the right hands is an awesome 30 cal rifle, but the king is the 300 norma mag for long range. I'm not sure if the 300PRC will be the new man bun gun of the future but it sure looks good and handy to have a good factory load. I don't think this guy is a big fan 300PRC. :lol:

Kind of guy you would love as your next door neighbour. 🤣🤣🤣
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm
stokesrj wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Kind of guy you would love as your next door neighbour. 🤣🤣🤣

Only a few points of agreement.

1. Not much thinking to be done in necking down the 375 Ruger. Was the first thing I thought when it appeared.

2. It does not really do anything special when compared to the other magnum 30s

However the big picture is;

1. Hornady will market the manure out of it. That is something Winchester , Remington, and other makers really come up short on.

2. They will support it with affordable Ammo and components. With good distribution and availability. Same recipe the used for the Creedmoor.

3. Other company's will have to follow Hornady lead on the affordable ammo and components thing, if they want to play.

This will be a big win for shooters.

Now if you can imagine me doing my best Obama impersonation;

If you like your 300 Norma Mag, you can keep your Norma mag. Except I am not lying to you like Obama did.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”