Sawn Off Shotgun

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Sawn Off Shotgun

Post by SPEEDY »

I had some free time today so I decided to pull my finger out and start a little Zombie apocalypse survival shotgun that I have been meaning play with.
It started out as an old 30" barrel Baikal single shot with a super tight choke that I bought just for muzzleloading.
Well I felt I could use it for a lot more then that do I started thinking about making one of those silly do all YouTube survival guns.
I already have a couple of 12ga to 20ga adapters, the black powder adapter and a 12ga to 22lr adapter. But I'm going to get a 20ga to 22lr adapter so I can store it in the 20ga adapter.

But anyway I 1st figured out what barrel length I wanted, I thought about everything from 18.5" to 24" but settled on 20" in the end due mostly to love of coach guns.

So I went about by 1st marking the 20" Mark, then measured 10mm back and marked there.
I then put a loop of string around the front bead and feed it through the barrel and closed the action, I moved it a few times till it lined up with the center.
I witness marked it and then pre drilled it 1.5mm, then drilled it 2.5mm and taped the hole by hand M3x0.5 and tested to bead fit.
I removed the bead, and then scored the barrel at the 20" mark with a pipe cutter about 1/3 The way through then clamped it to the work bench.
I then sawed it off with the hacksaw, I dressed it and chamfer it with a file.
Then touched the bright steel with some cold blue and put the brass bead in with Loctite 620.

I then decided it might kick a bit so I fitted a limbsaver pad from a T3 that I had for some reason, filled down some extra wood and gave it some truoil after a little sanding smooth.

I'm going to try it out tomorrow with the 22lr insert, bird shot and then muzzle load some .69 round balls.
If nothing else it's the gun I can test shoot various home rolled slugs in and not mind if it blows up. :handgestures-thumbup:

But it's going to be a fun little thing to play with around camp, and at 4.8lbs according to my luggage scale it's definitely going to be an eye opener. :lol:
15544374597850.jpg
15544575001780.jpg
15544575618501.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Re: Sawn Off Shotgun

Post by SPEEDY »

I should probably add, if your a hound hunter this is probably the perfect gun for using around dogs.
Damn light and handy in the thick steep stuff too.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Curious which .22insert are you using? The Walther 3 inch barrel kit or something else?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It was a simple one I bought on eBay probably 15 years ago, not great but it's only made from aluminum.
I'm buying the Short lane adapter, I will get the 3" zombie in 20ga and get a proper 8" one too.
They are surprisingly accurate.

I tested it out today to see how it patterns, it does surprisingly well with heavy loads, it has a very tight barrel at .715 diameter.

It likes the 36gm #3 shot and 42gm BB's although the kick is only equaled by it's bark. :lol:
But that limbsaver recoil pad lived up to its name, it might boot but it doesn't hurt and is very manageable.

But I played with the 22lr adapter and got a 4"-5" group at 25 yards using the bead, so that's ok, it was just aiming at the center of a bit of cardboard no actual aiming point.
But the load it and I both love is with the muzzleloading plug, 100gn of FF powder under 2oz of #4 shot, patterns great and nearly puts you on your back with a big surprisingly gentle shove. :handgestures-thumbup:

I got a video of a friend shooting it with a much more mild load of 85gn of FF and 1 1/2 oz of #7.5.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/pXAW1Buuip8[/BBvideo]

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Didn’t move much despite her protestations :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ve used the Walther trappers insert and it’s one hole accurate at 10m - all it’s designed for.

Have you tried the slugs or are you thinking it’s too tight?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I shot factory shot shell's, black powder shot and .69 round balls, it was actually good with round balls, 110gn of FF and a lubed bit of cleaning flannel around the ball.

It will shoot slugs just fine, I will try some Monday, or tomorrow arvo if I'm bored, but I reall need to pack too.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I tried the GB slugs in it today, I pulled the 1st shot to the left which proved to be anything but carbon friendly. :whistle:

But a better rest on the back pack and shooting with just a bead front sight at 50m proved to be pretty damn effective.
I'd use this gun on deer at 50m no worries at all, and could definitely stretch it out a lot further. If I scoped this gun it would Cloverleaf them no worries, an actual front sight would probably help it a lot too.
15546199141590.jpg
15546199773291.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shotguns”