Spring Turkey Season

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

stokesrj

Spring Turkey Season

Post by stokesrj »

Dusted off my Remington 870 Super Mag and checked it for pattern at 40 yards. The spring Turkey Season opens here in Arizona two weeks from today. I don't know why I check; it is alway on but I just have to know. Anyway at 40 yards with a .662" extended choke tube and HeviShot Magnum Blend #5,6 and 7 shot from a 3 1/2" shell and payload of 2 1/4 oz it pretty well clobers them at 40 yards. This is with it's 20" turkey barrel and Aimpoint H1 micro red dot. I just shot the one shot, that and the one I shoot the gobbler with is all I should need to shoot this year, or want to shoot. It clobbers at both ends.
fullsizeoutput_3d67.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: Spring Turkey Season

Post by SPEEDY »

I never got the need for 3.5" shell's for a 40 yard shot on a bird.
But it's your shoulder, not mine. :lol:

But it is one damn effective pattern.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

You can kill a turkey at 40 yards with a 410 using Tungsten Polymer shot. All it takes is one shot in the head or neck. Even #4 lead shot will not penetrate their feathers at 40 yards so it is required that you hit them in the head and neck. I just like to hit them hard :)
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I was actually thinking about applying the principles of turkey shooting to goose shooting before I left the territory.
I was thinking a 3" she'll with 36gm of #4 shot might be the go, aim for the head area and if the pattern is thick enough then you will smack their heads and not have pellets stuck in the body.
I might try that one year.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Dieselfitter

Post by Dieselfitter »

Had good luck with TSS loads last year. Crazy concept but it blisters their noggins.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Bob,
Why did you move away from TSS and back to Hevi Shot? I started using 3” #9 TSS loads last year in my 12 gauge and will use that again this year and #9 TSS in my BD 14 20 gauge.
Matt
I didn't, this was an old target from just before I started using heavy shot. The #9 TSS is far more effective, good for another ten yards at least and maybe 15 yards. I'll be shooting #9 TSS from my 20 gauge in just two weeks on the San Carlos for Merriams and then in another two weeks in the white mountains.

yukondelta

Post by yukondelta »

How did you do with the birds this season? I had a couple of hunts cancelled but was able to take 5 on several hunts in several states. Several seasons ago, I switched to TSS loads and have never regretted that. Patterns are excellent and nothing requires a 2nd shot. Here is a 20 gauge (2oz of 9's) pattern at 30 yards and one of the birds from this season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I was only able to shoot one tom this year, he didn't even flop with a 1 1/2oz load of #9 TSS from my 20 gauge. The range was only 37 yards so it is a very dense pattern at that range and broke his neck in about a dozen places. I also killed two coyotes with the #9s which aren't ideal for that purpose but does the job if the range is short. I also almost killed a Mexican Grey Wolf thanking he was a coyote attacking my decoy but noticed the radio collar just in the nick of time.
Robert J Stokes

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

yukondelta wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:40 am How did you do with the birds this season? I had a couple of hunts cancelled but was able to take 5 on several hunts in several states. Several seasons ago, I switched to TSS loads and have never regretted that. Patterns are excellent and nothing requires a 2nd shot. Here is a 20 gauge (2oz of 9's) pattern at 30 yards and one of the birds from this season.
Is that a Rio or Merriams?
Robert J Stokes

yukondelta

Post by yukondelta »

That is a Merriams from WA up near the Canadian border in the NE corner. I took 2 Merriams and 3 Rios this year. My 2 Eastern hunts were cancelled.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My project for next turkey season is to use a 410. So far, I bought three 410 turkey guns, a Henry single shot, a CVA Scout and a Savage Steven’s 301. I’ll be evaluating them with Federal Heavy Weight #9 TSS and Apex #9.5 TSS and Jebb’s, Indian Creek, and Carlson full, xfull and xxfull choke tubes.
My 20 ga exceeded my expectations with the TSS so it will be fun to explore the limits of TSS from a 410.
Robert J Stokes

yukondelta

Post by yukondelta »

410's are something I'm working on also. From what I can see, 40 yards with .410 and good loads is no problem.

I have a Tristar turkey model .410 with Burris FF3, a Stevens 301 turkey model .410 with Vortex red dot, and a Winchester 42, .410 pump with iron sights of course. I used to use Apex and they are good loads (took my first 10 turkeys with Apex 10 gauge TSS) but I prefer the Boss loads and they are my go to waterfowl loads also. Here's a 30 yard Boss .410 pattern with 9's with the Tristar...
IMG_7314.jpeg
IMG_7313.jpeg

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Have you had any issues with your Tristar? I looked at one and they are nice, but I’ve seen a lot of problems with sporting clay shooters using them in 20 and 12 gauge versions. One of the range officers at the range I manage was duck hunting this winter with his Tristar and the sling swivel came loose from the magazine tube cap and dropped his gun in the River. The swivel stud was swaged in place and the swage was inadequate to keep it held properly.
But everyone that has one in the 410 turkey version seems to really like them.
Robert J Stokes

yukondelta

Post by yukondelta »

Good questions. I've found the Tristars to be a little rough cycling but overall this .410 turkey model is good. I also had their G2 Bronze edition in 28 and 410. The 28 was the better of the two...very fast on teal, wood ducks, etc. I replaced it with the Benelli Ethos 28 and like that even better but it's over 2x the cost.

Return to “Shotguns”