Aussies & Larger Calibers

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Kharn

Aussies & Larger Calibers

Post by Kharn »

G'day

Just curious if there are any aussies on here whom have large caliber rifles and are big/dangerous game hunters using over .30cal and if so how they went about acquiring it if there was any more red tape than say that of a .22 or .308?

I understand the .50BMG is restricted but I wonder about other large calibers like the .416rig, .577Trex, .600NE etc.

Or if this isn't the best forum can someone point me to a popular big/dangerous/safari game Australian based forum

Cheers

SPEEDY

Re: Aussies & Larger Calibers

Post by SPEEDY »

Generally no, some states have "sniper rifle" calibre restrictions so you can't justify a 338lap but you can a 338/375wby so go figure.
I've never heard about trouble getting a big bore hunting round as it might be big and powerful but unless it's been used in Hollywood to assassinate someone then it might as well be a 22lr. :think:

Also nitro express is great for all your big bore and traditional hunting information.
But there are a few on here that like a big bruiser and If you count the various 9.3's in that list then everyone I think has had at least one. :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

No problem here in Vic ,
I have a 338lap , only you have to register the largest cal, the idiot in registry didn’t understand what a 338 Lapua mag was.
I believe a few other members here have larger cals 416, but not sure about larger cals.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

No trouble at all with the 500 Jeffery.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Once you go over .510” you can start to have problems importing parts at the federal level as past 12.6mm starts to be viewed suspiciously as a weapon of war. Or at least this was the case for the last person I knew of trying to assemble a .600 Overkill. If it’s big, you can buy a barrel brass and bullets locally (woodleigh and Bertram are great resources) then have at it in most eastern states. WA will probably pull you up and scrutinise your property letters with a fine tooth comb but I gather they do that for anything bigger than a .243.
Joining a local BGRC shoot would give you a quick insight into what is being used and some of the logistics

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Victoria is a pretty cool state as far as big cals go as there is not much your not allowed to have. However some states do have restriction on the big belted magnums, but most states allow the big game safari cals. Once you start going 338 Lap's, sniptac's, cheytac's, sledgehammers, Raptors and crazy wild cat big mag cals. then some states won't allow them. Best way is to check, with your local gun clubs in your area.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've found that a little funny in NSW, I haven't had to put what calibre I was buying just the category.
As my genuine reason is hunting I can pick from a number of pre approved genuine reasons to justify a 20mm Vulcan bolt action in theory, although getting one through customs would be impossible.
I think they do have a .73 calibre restriction or similar, but that might just be for cannons.

That reminds me, I want a cannon. :dance:

jeff

Post by jeff »

WA is funny in that you'd need to show a genuine need for the calibre, and as we have very little big enough to warrant some of the big bores, that may be an issue. No problem with the calibres themselves, as I have everything up to a 500Jeff, as I shoot at the Big Game Rifle Club. I also know of people with up to 458WM on what we call an open license, for hunting...but expect to be challenged on why a lesser calibre isn't suitable, and have a property letter that has sufficiently large ferals on it if you start asking for 375 and over.

The so called sniper/long range stuff is different again, and whilst plenty now have 338Laps and bigger, they've all had a fight to get them.

So really depends where in Aus you are, and then for some States (Notably WA) what you intend to use/license them for.
Regards,

Jeff

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

You would think a simple "I want a 375H&H" or other big bore so I can go on safari would do.
Or I don't feel adequate shooting pigs with anything smaller then a 458win mag in the event of a charge would do.
When was the last time someone got shot by a 458win mag that wouldn't have been possible with a 270win?

WA are truly pathetic.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

jeff wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:24 pm WA is funny in that you'd need to show a genuine need for the calibre, and as we have very little big enough to warrant some of the big bores, that may be an issue. No problem with the calibres themselves, as I have everything up to a 500Jeff, as I shoot at the Big Game Rifle Club. I also know of people with up to 458WM on what we call an open license, for hunting...but expect to be challenged on why a lesser calibre isn't suitable, and have a property letter that has sufficiently large ferals on it if you start asking for 375 and over.

The so called sniper/long range stuff is different again, and whilst plenty now have 338Laps and bigger, they've all had a fight to get them.

So really depends where in Aus you are, and then for some States (Notably WA) what you intend to use/license them for.
Jeff,

is there any way open to legally hunt with a rifle that a WA resident has registered for Range/Comp shooting. EG A Big Game shooter (WA resident & licensed) taking his 375H&H Big Game Comp rifle out for a hunt on a property where he has written permission to hunt in WA?

Cheers
Rod

jeff

Post by jeff »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:32 am You would think a simple "I want a 375H&H" or other big bore so I can go on safari would do.
Or I don't feel adequate shooting pigs with anything smaller then a 458win mag in the event of a charge would do.

WA are truly pathetic.
You would think, but then commonsense has never been part of firearms legislation over here. Whilst I don't think it has been legally challenged, out of State use is not considered genuine need by them either. :roll:
Rod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 am Jeff,

is there any way open to legally hunt with a rifle that a WA resident has registered for Range/Comp shooting. EG A Big Game shooter (WA resident & licensed) taking his 375H&H Big Game Comp rifle out for a hunt on a property where he has written permission to hunt in WA?
Well, given even another WA licensed shooter can't borrow a gun they're not co-licensed for (unless at a club) without getting a permit to do so, an out of State visitor could always apply as normal for his permit and name a gun other than his own, I guess. Would be interesting to see what they said.

You coming over then, or is the question purely theoretical?
Regards,

Jeff

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Probably, hypothethical.

Thanks Rod

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”