Shotgun Pellet Sizes and Pellet Count for Different Countries

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

mchughcb

Shotgun Pellet Sizes and Pellet Count for Different Countries

Post by mchughcb »

Shotgun Pellet size and Pellet Count for Italy, UK and USA.

I put this table together because I can't find a quick reference chart.
Shotgun Pellet Sizes for Italy UK USA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: Shotgun Pellet Sizes and Pellet Count for Different Countries

Post by secondtry »

mchughcb wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 am Shotgun Pellet size and Pellet Count for Italy, UK and USA.

I put this table together because I can't find a quick reference chart.
Good effort Charles. :) A subject that more shotgunners should spend a LOT more time on.

I have found this lazy man's version quite helpful. http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Yeah everyone references that. Not sure its quite right according to the manufacturers website. Ive also verified my numbers by pulling apart a few selected loads and im within 2 pellets.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Those 46gm #4 loads I've got definitely have some pellets in em.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Ado

Post by Ado »

This may help further verify, in part, based on I presume on UK/Purdey cartridges:

Purdey Cartridges

There is a graphic under Data Sheets - click on it and you can then scroll to various tables, including some international comparisons. BTW I think you omitted 5 shot under the UK specification...Hope this helps...

Think I might try 6.5 instead 6 shot on my next driven shoot...but number of pellets is also influenced by choice of choke and pellet dispersion patterns at various ranges. The conventional wisdom in the UK, is that it a takes but one shot to kill a bird if accurately placed - hence other things being equal - more shot more chances. Shot recommendations for UK pheasant/partridge/grouse is anything from 7 through 5 shot and typically anywhere between 28 - 36 grams. UK shotgun cartridge manufacturers are varying powder selection and powder charges to increase MV - it appears to me, that is the current focus of their marketing materials plus the move towards non-toxic load performance. For most general terrain, I use 6 shot/30 grams but I would tend towards 5 shot/32gr with higher MV if I knew the terrain was going to be "steep and deep" - a lot of really high birds. For duck 4 shot / 36gr steel or bismuth.

If I am not highjacking this thread: so what do you optimise for in cartridge selection for a given game animal for your shotgun setup?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thanks Ado. I will try to update this a little later. I know they have already omitted some sizes. For example Spanish 0 is 4.5mm and ive got some and measured them.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’m surprised that you are within 2 pellets of labeled loads. I’ve opened quite a few loads and counted shot and found huge variances especially with Winchester’s more expensive loading. It seems they choose to include all the shot capsule and felt wads in the load weight not just the shot but the worst offender was a Remington 3” 12 Gauge Nitro Magnum. It was nearly 75 pellets short of it’s labeled 1 7/8 oz #5 turkey loads both in terms of weight and in terms of shot size. I found shot from .11 to .14 a huge variance.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thats very interesting Bob. The american Winchester XX #4 loads are almost spot on. I measured about 20 pellets last week and they were almost all 3.30mm.

On the other hand i measured Australian winchester ranger #3 loads and found large variation in shot size. Generally smaller with higher pellet count. Eley, gamebore, clever and GB were very close to advertised size and weight.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Ado wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 am This may help further verify, in part, based on I presume on UK/Purdey cartridges:

Purdey Cartridges

There is a graphic under Data Sheets - click on it and you can then scroll to various tables, including some international comparisons. BTW I think you omitted 5 shot under the UK specification...Hope this helps...

Think I might try 6.5 instead 6 shot on my next driven shoot...but number of pellets is also influenced by choice of choke and pellet dispersion patterns at various ranges. The conventional wisdom in the UK, is that it a takes but one shot to kill a bird if accurately placed - hence other things being equal - more shot more chances. Shot recommendations for UK pheasant/partridge/grouse is anything from 7 through 5 shot and typically anywhere between 28 - 36 grams. UK shotgun cartridge manufacturers are varying powder selection and powder charges to increase MV - it appears to me, that is the current focus of their marketing materials plus the move towards non-toxic load performance. For most general terrain, I use 6 shot/30 grams but I would tend towards 5 shot/32gr with higher MV if I knew the terrain was going to be "steep and deep" - a lot of really high birds. For duck 4 shot / 36gr steel or bismuth.

If I am not highjacking this thread: so what do you optimise for in cartridge selection for a given game animal for your shotgun setup?
Thanks Ado, I made an error on the English size and this affected #5 shot column. I've now fixed it.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 am I’m surprised that you are within 2 pellets of labeled loads. I’ve opened quite a few loads and counted shot and found huge variances especially with Winchester’s more expensive loading. It seems they choose to include all the shot capsule and felt wads in the load weight not just the shot but the worst offender was a Remington 3” 12 Gauge Nitro Magnum. It was nearly 75 pellets short of it’s labeled 1 7/8 oz #5 turkey loads both in terms of weight and in terms of shot size. I found shot from .11 to .14 a huge variance.
Variance might be higher with those loads over 42 grams.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Ado wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 am

I have been trying to ensure that any load for fox is #4 or greater and 28grams or greater. For pheasants I"m using #5 28grams or greater.

This year I've been using #3 in a 32gram load and that's been killing most stuff. Last 2 weeks I've gone to 30gram #0 (4.5mm) and that has been quite devastating at close range.

While most people claim that the magnum loads are great and they kill every shot, my prowess is not so good with the shotgun so I know that a slightly lesser load with the shotgun allows a quick 2nd or 3rd shot.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

How do you find the #0 shot on the longer shots?

I'd be of the opinion that the range might open the pattern up beyond a useful density.
Those 32gm #4 loads should throw a very respectable pattern.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Not as good as I'd like but that was with ic and mod chokes. Now ive gone tighter i shot a few things and they dropped like a stone.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It's always hard picking the right chokes for the situation you find yourself in, especially considering how many different situations you find yourself in.
I'm seriously considering leaving one choke in and just learning to do it all with it.

Return to “Shotguns”