Just Stop It!

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Re: Just Stop It!

Post by Joe338ST »

I believe these pro shooters get sizing dies specifically made to bump back the case, shoulder and minimally resize the neck from the same reamer that is used to chamber their barrel. I believe that has become their norm and that is why the full length resize...They do not use standard off the shelf full length resizing dies that over resize the case but get one from the likes of Whidden.....made from fired cases....or off the original dreamer drawings....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm I believe these pro shooters get sizing dies specifically made to bump back the case, shoulder and minimally resize the neck from the same reamer that is used to chamber their barrel. I believe that has become their norm and that is why the full length resize...They do not use standard off the shelf full length resizing dies that over resize the case but get one from the likes of Whidden.....made from fired cases....or off the original dreamer drawings....
The majority of them I talk to, are using Redding full length bushing dies. Only a few are using custom dies.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Corjack wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm I believe these pro shooters get sizing dies specifically made to bump back the case, shoulder and minimally resize the neck from the same reamer that is used to chamber their barrel. I believe that has become their norm and that is why the full length resize...They do not use standard off the shelf full length resizing dies that over resize the case but get one from the likes of Whidden.....made from fired cases....or off the original dreamer drawings....
The majority of them I talk to, are using Redding full length bushing dies. Only a few are using custom dies.
That is interesting....Ron.... Are we sure they are Redding dies? Or is that what they want us to believe? I guess Redding do provide good quality dies with neck bushings to suit your individual chamber...perhaps the best option without going full custom....
Joe

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 pm
Corjack wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
That is interesting....Ron.... Are we sure they are Redding dies? Or is that what they want us to believe? I guess Redding do provide good quality dies with neck bushings to suit your individual chamber...perhaps the best option without going full custom....
I just texted one if them in the video, and asked him specifically. He has not answered me back yet.

Also in the second video, I believe a couple guys said they used a body die, and a bushing shoulder bump in two seperate operations.

The way it is explained to me, you gotta base size a certain amount to allow the brass to expand when it is Fired , as it is more conducive to consistency.

The local 600 yard guys I have known for years have been full length sizing and shoulder bumping for a long time.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

It really is an art based on many years of experience and working out what really works.....
Joe

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 pm It really is an art based on many years of experience and working out what really works.....

Just got an answer back from Eric Cortina. Standard Redding Type S full length bushing dies on 6x47 and 6 Br, and custom on his Shehane. He said on the Shehane he had no choice but a custom, as Redding did not make it in the type S as a standard offering.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

For precision shooting....then Redding it is. Now that is good to know....Well worth the extra little bit of coin to get the Redding Type S full length bushing dies... That is great advice Ron.
Joe

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 pm For precision shooting....then Redding it is. Now that is good to know....Well worth the extra little bit of coin to get the Redding Type S full length bushing dies... That is great advice Ron.

I have a couple three sets of Redding type S, but now have four Wilson full length bushing dies, and they are really well made, and in most cases less costly than the Redding type S

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

Corjack wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:42 pm
Joe338ST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 pm For precision shooting....then Redding it is. Now that is good to know....Well worth the extra little bit of coin to get the Redding Type S afull length bushing dies... That is great advice Ron.

I have a couple three sets of Redding type S, but now have four Wilson full length bushing dies, and they are really well made, and in most cases less costly than the Redding type S
I have both Redding and lately Wilson FL bushing dies. Agree that the Wilson are very well made and produce excellent results.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have several Redding S type, L E Wilson, Whidden, Forster and RCBS and a few others. I like the Wilson neck size and Forster shoulder bump combination the best.
Robert J Stokes

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

IMG_2743.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Another reason not to just neck size.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ive-round/