Longer Range Setup

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

MM
Meister der jagd

Longer Range Setup

Post by MM »

I am going to set up a K95 barrel for longer range shooting ability. I have a 300 Weatherby Mag barrel already so that is where I will start.
It has this muzzle break on it which I do not like and I cannot remove it.
4115DFB2-7BEB-4082-A2FB-528270AA2675.jpeg
37E92C1A-693D-4C08-911D-357F1AF68A2A.jpeg
Question 1. Should I send it down to Blaser to have them install one or can someone recommend a good break and gunsmith to install? This one blows to much dust and dirt up and I want to be able to remove it.
Question 2. I want to be able to practice and reliably hit in hunting situations out to 600 yards. I have a ZEISS 2.5-10x scope on it now with a #6 reticle and standard turrets. Any recommendations on a new scope vs having the reticle or turrets changed on the scope I have?
Question 3. A good general purpose load for hunting deer/antelope up to elk/moose sized critters up close to 600 yards.
Thanks for any ideas
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Longer Range Setup

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Brake most likely is glued on with loctite or something like that and might need to go into a gun vice and be removed with a bit of heat. Once that's done get a cap made so it can be a normal barrel and then just work out what brake you like. I'm a massive Terminator brake fan but there is a lot of others out there. T2 Terminator would be my suggestion. As for scope I would be looking at Victory V8 1.8–14x50 or the V8 2.8–20x56 still good power for stalking and also would cover the 600 yards easy. Projectile just use the ELD-X 220gr as they will cover all you hunting needs.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I'm no long range expert, but would offer the following.

Another vote for the T2 brake. The maker (Greg?) will put just about any thread that you can think of in them, so with any luck he should be able to match the thread that's already on your barrel. It will need to be indexed, as it's not a radial brake, but that should be easy enough for someone who knows their stuff.

Trying to find a bullet that will work on the wide range of game sizes that you specified, and that will work in the twist of the K95, which is probably 11", is a tall order. The Euro standard for 30 cal seems to be 11", but I suggest that you check it. It might be 10" which would make things much easier.

Got severe doubts about the 212 and 220 ELDX in an 11" twist. Even the 200 ELDX could be pushing your luck. If an ELDX heavier than the 178 ELDX floats your boat, I would experiment with some 200 ELDX before committing. ELDX are VERY long.

V8 Zeiss will weigh near as much as a K95 :lol: :lol: :lol: No doubt about the quality, but that is a very heavy scope to have on top of a K95. I've been happy with my Nightforce SHV 3/10 (it's not on my K95), but it seems that most scopes with reliable turrets are probably going to be a bit weighty.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Yep it is probably set on there, mount it in a vice with preferably rubber jaw protection, heat it gently with a gas torch and don't over heat, grip the break with rubber in something like vice grips.
Once it's off clean the threads with a solvent and brush.

Finding the correct thread could be hard if it's not a factory threaded barrel.
That will need a thread pitch gauge and a set of vernier's or take it to a shop and see if they have a break or cap that will fit it.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

1. I don't know swat about muzzle brakes, don't shoot'em but understand wanting to reduce recoil.
2. I don't have any Zeiss scopes but I sure like the Swarovski Z8i's I have and their turrets are second to none. A Z8i rail mount would be muy bueno.
3. Try 130gn TTSX's. You should br able to get around 3600 - 3700 f/s which should give you around 2100 - 2200f/s at 600 yds. I would think that would take care of all the critters you listed and the recoil would be comfortably less than heavier loads.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Couple years back I picked up a R8 barrel in 375 H&H that the owner had Magnaport install their brake on. I've had other brakes on 300 Wby mags with the worst one being a generic version of the KDF Slimline. It was just about useless. Now fast forward to the 375 and I found it to be very pleasant with the Magnaport brake. I had no trouble shooting it with glasses on and that speaks well of that brake. Guarantee you I couldn't have shot the 300 Wby with glasses on. I suspect that the Magnaport might still kick up some dust but it is a hell of a brake. Terminator has a new TS model which is between the T2 and T3 in recoil dampening that might be a good choice. Just not sure how you get one here. I think deerhunter has the name of someone in the USA that can install them for you. Also I wouldn't even mess with removing the brake myself. Just send it to whoever is going to install the new one and they can take it off. Side note the original KDF slimline was a very good brake but the copy cat is junk in comparison.

As for scopes, the Swarovski Z5, 5-25x52 with the BT 4w is an excellent choice. The Z5 has the good internals so there's no issue there like the Z3s and AV models had. The Swarovski z5 is very clear and weighs a whopping 17.5 ounces! Or about a pound lighter than some of the others that have been mentioned.. :doh: It also has a 1" tube making it a rather sleek addition to the K95. The Z5 is not available with a rail but it works very well in 1" rings. If the top end 25 power is a bit much the Z5 3.5-18x44 is an excellent choice as well. The 3.5-18x44 weighs 15.9 ounces. I used one of those on my R93 when I was hunting mule deer in New Mexico's desert mountains. It worked very well. Since I had mine they've darkened the reticles making them easier to see and they added the 4W feature to the BT models which added hold marks on the horizontal line for windage. I'm going to pick up one of these 2 to put on the Colt Sauer 7 mm Rem mag that currently is without a scope. Power ranges are great, lenses are clear and weights are phenomenal. Keep in mind that with the BT you can get the ZnikiZ turret rings that spell out the ranges and instead of the 3 that come with the scope you would have 5 to choose from. Or you can get a custom turret once you settle on your favorite load. Nice thing about the ZnikiZ is you can set them to whatever you need and never spend another penny. They work very well.

https://znikiz.com/

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Good heads up on the Z5 champ. :D

For some reason I keep overlooking these, although their recently introduced 2.5/12/50 Z5 is very attractive.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

That is a real ugly brake.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

The Zeiss Victory V8 1.8–14x50 is an awesome all round scope with illumination and weighs 710 grams. 92% light transmission and with ASV turret...it will cover all your stalking and longer range needs... Glass is superb....Tube is 36mm....once setup the dial up is 10milrad or 100cm at 100metres.

The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44  is lighter by 260 grams at 450 grams. It has 90% light transmission and has no illumination. Tube is 1" or 25.4 mm.

I've also got a Zeiss Conquest V6 in 2.5-15×56 with ASV turret. It is illuminated. Has the same glass as the V8 with 92% light transmission and a 30mm tube. Once set up the dial up is 7.5milrad or 75cm per 100metres. Total weight is 690 grams.

Personally you need to look at what you intend to use your rifle for...if you're stalking, you would wind your scope down to the lowest magnification possible to improve field of view and turn on the red dot illumination if it was available. The V8 at 1.8x and the V6 at 2.5x fit the bill well and the superbright red dot improves your reaction time. Then for the longer shots you crank magnification to 14 or 15x, you can work out your dope, turn down the illumination and dial your cross hairs in.

For a mere 250grams or 1/2lb I'd go illuminated optics, with turrets, and the best range of magnification possible. V8 or V6 if your in the Zeiss camp....or Z8i 2-16x50 P which weighs 675g...if your a Swaro fan

PS. Terminator brakes are awesome!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

If we're going to add illumination we might as well go for the best. Swarovski Z8i 3.5-28x50 weighing in at 23.5 ounces, 665 grams. 30 mm tube which makes it a lot sleeker which translates into better looking on that K95. Excellent light pass through with 93%. Oh yeah and it's available with a rail. :dance:

When you have the best the weight is still very manageable.... :violin:

https://de.swarovskioptik.com/en_US/hun ... I-p5555562

I guess I might as well put one of these on my list of toys. Has got to be one hell of a scope. :whistle:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Corjack wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 am That is a real ugly brake.
It is an ugly brake and it is really long and creates enough wind to blow your hat off, but it is not bad at reducing recoil. I don’t use muzzle brakes but since this barrel already had one installed I am going to replace it with either the Vais or the micro fuzzy bunny.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Now I know why fuzzy bunny is so often used meant to be micro b@st@rd

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I got the brake off with a little heat thanks for the tip. I took it to a gunsmith and ended up going with the Vais Micro Brake. It seemed the least problematic to install and I like that it is small. Still kicking around what bullets to try and what scope to get. Thanks for the help so far.
Matt

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

The Vais is certainly compact and simpler to fit than some, as it doesn't need indexing.

The potential issue that I see with it is having ports facing down and kicking up dust and crap when shooting prone.

Time will tell. If it is an issue, it wouldn't be hard to switch.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I had a Vais on my 375H&H and it worked great, I could even shoot it without hearing protection in and unlikely other breaks it didn't hurt.
It wasn't much louder then un braked, but I'd definitely use hearing protection if they are available.
But if you happen to be walking along and need to take a quick shot, then at least it won't be painful afterwards.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”