Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Anyone here used or own one?

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

Rod
Meister der jagd

Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Anyone here used or own one?

Post by Rod »

I’m looking at buying a Springfield 1911 in 9mm and am interested to hear from others who have or have had one.

I got to shoot 50 odd rounds through a mates this morning (he got 2 days ago) I didn’t shoot it too well...nor did he. I’m guessing because we both have only shot Glocks for at least 10 years and I’m guessing changing back to a 1911 may take time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Anyone here used or own one?

Post by secondtry »

I'm a traditionalist.

1911s should be in 45 ACP. If they could be had in .40, I might be flexible - might be. :lol:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Agree. But with the laws the way they are ...it’s 9mm unless I go to a lot of effort.

Use to have a Government 70 series years ago 👍

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The current trend is to move from 45 and 40 to 9mm. The driving force is ammunition technology advancement that has resulted in the 9mm effectiveness sharply increasing making the difference between the three calibers a moot point. I own several 1911's in 45 ACP, 10MM, and 9mm. My favorite is a Wilson Combat in 9mm. It is far more effective in terms of being able to shoot it fast and accurate. I've also shot a lot of game animals with these calibers, and it is my opinion that none of them are powerful enough for hunting deer sized animals. All the deer I"ve shot with my 45ACP have run at least 100 yards before going down with double lung shots. My bow kills them more quickly. On two legged varmints, two to the chest and one to the head is a good moto.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I had that discussion on another forum about the 45acp VS 9mm and everyone seems to think that 9mm +P has made the old 45acp redundant.
When I ask if your going to hunt deer or pigs with a camp carbine what calibre should I get.
They all come back with the 45acp.

Start loading 45acp +P and see who's still king

45 +P Hornady 230gn @ 950fps = 461ft/lbs
9mm +P Hornady 123gn @ 1200fos = 397ft/lbs
That might not seem like a great deal of difference at only 64ft/lbs but that's like 2/3 of a 22lr extra with a much bigger hole.

But that's beside the point here, 9mm is pretty much the Australian maximum, so don't tell the government the 9mm is almost as powerful, they will take that off us too.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

There is no doubt the 45 ACP is more powerful, but all the police shooting data collected in the US is showing almost no difference in stopping the bad guys between 9mm 40 S&W and 45ACP. That has most law enforcement that had gone to either 40 S&W or 45ACP returning to the 9mm. I personally don’t think any of them are effective enough and prefer a 12 ga.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Your a wise man, a handgun is there to get you out of trouble, if your going directly into trouble take a real gun.

It still surprises me that SOP for most police around the world that are going into a potentially dangerous situation don't automatically carry a shotgun or rifle.

I notice on a lot of the US game warden type shows that I watch that's exactly what they do, one guy got a 45/70 guide gun for bear defence over the 12ga and qualified with it so he could use it as his go to gun for any nasty situations.
I guess it's not popular in Australia due to a combination of poor marksmanship and sheeple too stupid to take cover rather then stand around trying to live stream or something equally as stupid.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Rod wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 pm Agree. But with the laws the way they are ...it’s 9mm unless I go to a lot of effort.

Use to have a Government 70 series years ago 👍
You can’t make the Wednesday night MS shoot? :think:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Yeah, depending on shifts . I guess I could...but it means I have to do 4 per annum Maybe when I retire.

Anyway I’ve lined up an as new Springfield 9mm at a good price. Just have to do the paperwork.

Rod

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I’ve been getting to more Wednesday shoots than weekends of late - hoping to get there tomorrow night and give the .44 another run

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I thought about shooting silhouette just as an excuse to buy a 44mag. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 am I’ve been getting to more Wednesday shoots than weekends of late - hoping to get there tomorrow night and give the .44 another run
Have fun. I’ll be working late shift .

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 am I thought about shooting silhouette just as an excuse to buy a 44mag. :dance:
I’ve owned and used both a Super Blackhawk and a 629 in 44 mag. But that was years ago and in another life. Fun toys but I really don’t have a use or hankering for another.

But if I ever lived in a place like Alaska I’d buy some short barrelled smith in 460 or 500 purely for bear protection when fishing or whatever when not out hunting with a rifle.

Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd buy a Ruger Alaskan, good for bears and meth addicts too.

Return to “Handguns”