Pulsar Thermion XM30

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Pulsar Thermion XM30

Post by 9.3x64 »

At this point I am leaning towards the XM30 with Thermal imagery for $3800. I don’t see the point in going to the XM38 or XM50 as the XM30 has the widest field of view and still detects our to 1350m. I don’t see the point in narrowing the field of view and handicapping yourself?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:07 pm The cheaper unit that gets a bad review and quick resale is the old ATN. In theory the latest version is better but that is said about every new version.
That's definitely the ones, but I'm not overly fond of some of the better scopes too, as you have looked through better hand held spotters you would know that a FLIR hand held for instance doesn't just let you detect something, at 100m you can see muscle definition almost like some kind of heat X-ray.

It's similar hith hand held units, any of the sub $2500-3000 units just don't offer that kind of clarity.
Unfortunately that mid rsnge scope can only squeeze in enough electronics to provide the lower end imagery that a hand-held can provide.

I can't remember the brand of scope a mate bought, it wasn't ATN but it was that price end and even in a prrk at night it just didn't give very good clarity and definition past 50m.

The trouble with using a scope for night hunting on a sheep property is at 200m you couldn't really tell the difference between a pig and a sheep.

The best combination for hunting at the budget end would be to buy a $2500 + hand-held unit as a spotter and have a reasonable quality digital NV scope to shoot with or a good torch on a regular scope.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 pm At this point I am leaning towards the XM30 with Thermal imagery for $3800. I don’t see the point in going to the XM38 or XM50 as the XM30 has the widest field of view and still detects our to 1350m. I don’t see the point in narrowing the field of view and handicapping yourself?
I was told the xm30 has less focussing options than xm38. Make sure you ok with it.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

mchughcb wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm
9.3x64 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 pm At this point I am leaning towards the XM30 with Thermal imagery for $3800. I don’t see the point in going to the XM38 or XM50 as the XM30 has the widest field of view and still detects our to 1350m. I don’t see the point in narrowing the field of view and handicapping yourself?
I was told the xm30 has less focussing options than xm38. Make sure you ok with it.
Thanks Chuck, I will look into it.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

SPEEDY wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:05 pm
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:07 pm The cheaper unit that gets a bad review and quick resale is the old ATN. In theory the latest version is better but that is said about every new version.
[/quote

The trouble with using a scope for night hunting on a sheep property is at 200m you couldn't really tell the difference between a pig and a sheep.
Your absolutely right, but we have no intention in shooting in the same paddocks as the sheep. This property joins a NSW state forest and we plan to concentrate on the land between it and where the sheep are kept. Their are cattle in these paddock though.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That should be much better then, target identification is always 1st priority at night after safety of course.

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

I've managed to upload two videos.
There is no sound as the new firmware which enables sound recording was released later :doh:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/_L9XsR1PX5E[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/F8IHYMwRbxk[/BBvideo]
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Good shooting Icebug. Great footage. That thermal you have is very affective.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I liked the double. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Great footage Icebug, and Thankyou.
I noticed you only used a maximum of 4.5 power.
The image looks pretty good.

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

I've been using Pulsar thermal and NV equipment (as well as other brands) for several years here in the US.

Pulsar in the US has a great reputation in terms of customer service, but this may have more to do with their US distributer (Sellmark). Pulsar's thermal devices aren't quite as good in terms of image quality as the Trijicon / IR Defense devices, but Pulsar offers the best "bang for the buck" amongst the thermal equipment offered here. FLIR has good stuff, but their customer service isn't too good, and (of late) they seem to have adopted an anti-hunter stance. There are some new thermals being offered by a company called N-Vision, and they're very good devices (particularly their Halo LR 50mm).

Pulsar's software is probably the best in the industry when it comes to on-board video recording, streaming to iOS devices, etc.

I see Pulsar as the Toyota of the thermal world, and I have no qualms investing in their gear.

Having said that, the Thermion XM30 (which isn't offered here in the States) is supposed to lack a focusing ring. For me, that would be a deal-killer. I have a FLIR PTS233, it lacks focusing, and I don't like that. Also, the Thermion XM30 wouldn't be a good choice for hunting beyond 100 yards. Here in the Southeast USA, most of our shooting is done within 100-150 yards (usually closer), and the XM38 is what we use.

Regarding point of impact shift, this was an issue a year or two ago on the Pulsar Trail models (that was rectified), but I'm not aware of it being an issue with the Thermions.

Lastly, I haven't mounted the Thermion on a Blaser yet, but when I do so, I'm thinking about using the Dentler mount system so that I can move the thermal between a Blaser R8 and an AR-15 / AR-10.

M

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Interesting . Do you know what caused the issues with the trail on the zero?

AxP

Post by AxP »

I apologize, I bother you with a question, a little off topic.
Why, nobody, don’t say nothing about ATN THOR 4?
In my opinion, ATN THOR 4 640 2.5-25 or 4-40, at least theoretically have much better characteristics than Pulsar Thermion, ..., have a wider angle of view (H12.5/V9.7)(H8.3/V6.2), greater detection / recognition / identification distance (1950/800/475) (3300/1450/800), and not last, the eye relief (90 mm) is much large.
All the best.
Hunting toys: Blaser R8, 9.3x62, .308Win, 6.5x55SE, Benelli Montefeltro 12Ga

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Probably because of many online reports of buyers being burnt by early ATN scopes that didn’t meet the hype and didn’t have an aftersales service worth a damn

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

LAairhunter wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:59 am I've been using Pulsar thermal and NV equipment (as well as other brands) for several years here in the US.

Pulsar in the US has a great reputation in terms of customer service, but this may have more to do with their US distributer (Sellmark). Pulsar's thermal devices aren't quite as good in terms of image quality as the Trijicon / IR Defense devices, but Pulsar offers the best "bang for the buck" amongst the thermal equipment offered here. FLIR has good stuff, but their customer service isn't too good, and (of late) they seem to have adopted an anti-hunter stance. There are some new thermals being offered by a company called N-Vision, and they're very good devices (particularly their Halo LR 50mm).

Pulsar's software is probably the best in the industry when it comes to on-board video recording, streaming to iOS devices, etc.

I see Pulsar as the Toyota of the thermal world, and I have no qualms investing in their gear.

Having said that, the Thermion XM30 (which isn't offered here in the States) is supposed to lack a focusing ring. For me, that would be a deal-killer. I have a FLIR PTS233, it lacks focusing, and I don't like that. Also, the Thermion XM30 wouldn't be a good choice for hunting beyond 100 yards. Here in the Southeast USA, most of our shooting is done within 100-150 yards (usually closer), and the XM38 is what we use.

Regarding point of impact shift, this was an issue a year or two ago on the Pulsar Trail models (that was rectified), but I'm not aware of it being an issue with the Thermions.

Lastly, I haven't mounted the Thermion on a Blaser yet, but when I do so, I'm thinking about using the Dentler mount system so that I can move the thermal between a Blaser R8 and an AR-15 / AR-10.

M
Thankyou mate, brilliant information.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”