Tungsten Alloy Shot

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

stokesrj

Re: Tungsten Alloy Shot

Post by stokesrj »

They don’t call them ribeye from the sky for nothing. Absolutely delicious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

That video of the cranes..is awesome. That ammunition is unbelievable 👍

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:10 am
mchughcb wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:57 am Holy cow Bob you smoked them. I got to get some of that for my triple barrel even if i have to reload it.
Yes, the small dense shot defy the conventional wisdom of what is possible. It is hard to fathom until you see it with your own eyes.

Even though I knew from my testing what the Tungsten Super Shot was capable of, the results you see here was even more dramatic than I had imagined.
I've always preferred more pattern over bigger shot, as long as it has the energy to penetrate, and that takes it to extreme.
I showed it to a mate that shooting geese up north again, hit hit 6 and didn't drop a single one with #2 36gm steel yesterday, he almost cried, he wants shot like that as them high birds are hard to drop and that stuff just hammers them.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

A few years ago I was hunting in the Alaska ranges where I saw the migration of the sandhill cranes. The guide called them rib eye of the sky. I thought he was joking. I had no idea that they were game birds and good eating.
They looked (I only saw them way up in the sky on their migration), to me, like the ibis we get here in the thousands near rubbish dumps (where they feed on scraps) Thence their derogatory names of bin chooks (chicken) or sky chooks. I told the guide that...now I know why he gave me a strange, well stranger than usual, look 😂😂.

Those birds were a long long way up 👍

Cheers Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The ones I was shooting here in Arizona nest on the tundra of Alaska north of the arctic circle.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Bob, have you tested coyote loads or better yet killed any coyotes with TSS loads? I want to try them in my BBF97 for predator calling. 3” load with fixed modified choke what size shot would you start with?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I have killed one coyote with the Federal #9 TSS turkey load. He came in to my turkey call so it is what I had in the chamber. It killed him cleanly at 35 yards. Some shot went all the way through him. But I have some #4 TSS from Apex to try next time I’m calling coyotes. I think they should shoot well from your gun but give Apex or The Nitro Company and see what they say.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Apex recommends the #4 loading for coyote,but most of the reviews and videos (including the videos on Apex's site) all are about the #2 and BB loads so I was just trying to get some real world experience. I am going to order some of the 2oz #4 3" loads and try them out.
Matt

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've got good range and patterns on Foxes with 36gm #3 shot, I'd have no worries taking on a coyote with a 1 1/2 oz or 2oz load of 3" #4 shot any day.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Just bought some 20G overshot cards and a roll crimper. Now just getting a quote for a few kg from China for the 18g/cc stuff in #7.

I have over 15 boxes of special winchester 20G 32G copper plated magnum shells. The shells have mylar and buffering for the copper plated #4 shot. Th e plan is to cut the tops off, pour out the shot and buffer. Fill with 29g of TSS #7, pour the buffer over it and then roll crimp it.

I'll be keen to smoke just as many foxes as soon as possible and report back.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I think you will be amazed. I killed a coyote last week with my 20ga and #4 TSS at 78 yards and they went all the way through him.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I have 3 boxes of the Apex #4 TSS loads in 20 gauge to try out on coyote. I will report when I have some results. At $150.00 for 15 rounds I hope they work really well.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

They do kill coyotes well on my sample of one at least. In this case it killed him instantly with two of the pellets going through his brain and exiting. I was impressed. It looked like half a dozen or perhaps more went through his body as well. I was holding just above his head and it looks like the pattern was centered on his front half.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:53 am I think you will be amazed. I killed a coyote last week with my 20ga and #4 TSS at 78 yards and they went all the way through him.
That's impressive. What choke were you using?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

A rob roberts T3 which is close to improved modified.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Shotguns”