30/06 Springfield

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Rod
Meister der jagd

30/06 Springfield

Post by Rod »

Greetings,

I'm trying to duplicate the Federal Premium factory load with the 180 grain Nosler Partition. According to the information on the box that load is doing 2700fps at the muzzle.

I'm planning on using AR2209 ...does anyone know what powder weight I'm going to need ?

Thanks
Rod

6.5x55

Re: 30/06 Springfield

Post by 6.5x55 »

Hi Rod

Looking at the ADI load data for 180gr SP BT type projectile

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/rifle/30-06-springfield/

AR2209
Min 52.0gr @ 2543fps
Max 57.5gr @ 2798 fps

So a guess somewhere around 57.0gr.

Like anything, start with a safer load and work your load up to it. Using a Chronograph is your friend if you have one or have access to one.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I was using 57 grains but never chronoed it. Then I dropped down to 55grains and that's been my load ever since with 180gr sierra gamekings.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

What barrel length is it doing that in, 24"?

But I get 58gn of AR2209 doing 2730fps from a 24" barrel.
52gn of AR2209 doing 2737fps
But I've switched to Reloader 17 for my 30/06 and 270win, it's absolutely magical in that case, more velocity and lower pressure.
A mild load of 55gn will get you 2729fps and a Max load of 58gn will get you 2867fps.
I just stockpiled 7lb's of it so I never have to worry about a shortage of it.
57gn will get 2700fps from a 20" tube so if I ever move up to pills that heavy it might be the load for me.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I'd start at no more than 55g of 2209 with a 180 PT, because : -

I have always had success somewhere around 56.5 to 57.5 with 180s (58.5 with one long throated 06)

Recently, I wanted a load for a new 06, and had some 57g 2209/180NPs loaded for another rifle. Checked land clearance was OK and off to the range.

First round kicked very sharply. Extraction fine. Primer flat, but not excessively so, although definitely flatter than I like.

Fired a couple more and measured case head expansion, which was between .0005" and .001". Definitely excessive.

I need another session to confirm, but it's looking the load for this one will be around 55.0g or 55.5g.

No reason for this that I can find. Different rifles are just - different.

Shouldn't be hard to safely duplicate that Fed Premium load with 2209. Federal claim only 2700 in a 24" barrel and that should be easily achievable with 2209.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Just heard from a mate who shooting a 30/06 with a 22” barrel. 57.5 grains 2209 with 180 grain partitions doing slightly over 2700 , according to his Chrono. Have loaded a few rounds at 57.5 and some at 55 grains. Will compare those with some factory stuff at the range either Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers rod

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

A load "work up" in 2.5gn steps, Rod ? :confusion-scratchheadblue: That's unlikely to be conclusive accuracy wise.

In the words of Sir Humphrey "that's a courageous decision minister" :lol:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

secondtry wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm A load "work up" in 2.5gn steps, Rod ? :confusion-scratchheadblue: That's unlikely to be conclusive accuracy wise.

To put it simply, Secondtry , certain informal discussions took place involving a full and frank exchange of views out of which there arose a series of proposals, which on examination proved to indicate certain promising lines of inquiry, which, when pursued, lead to the realization that the alternative courses of action might, in fact, in certain circumstances, be susceptible of discreet modification, leading to a reappraisal of the original areas of difference and pointing the way to encouraging possibilities of compromise and cooperation, which, if bilaterally implemented with appropriate give and take on both sides might, if the climate were right, have a reasonable probability at the end of the day of leading, rightly or wrongly, to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

Regards
Rod :whistle: :whistle:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Rod wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:14 pm
secondtry wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm A load "work up" in 2.5gn steps, Rod ? :confusion-scratchheadblue: That's unlikely to be conclusive accuracy wise.

To put it simply, Secondtry , certain informal discussions took place involving a full and frank exchange of views out of which there arose a series of proposals, which on examination proved to indicate certain promising lines of inquiry, which, when pursued, lead to the realization that the alternative courses of action might, in fact, in certain circumstances, be susceptible of discreet modification, leading to a reappraisal of the original areas of difference and pointing the way to encouraging possibilities of compromise and cooperation, which, if bilaterally implemented with appropriate give and take on both sides might, if the climate were right, have a reasonable probability at the end of the day of leading, rightly or wrongly, to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

Regards
I see that you are familiar with the style of Sir Humphrey. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Just shoot the damn thing

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

mchughcb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm Just shoot the damn thing
Tomorrow. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

secondtry wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 pm
Rod wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Regards
I see that you are familiar with the style of Sir Humphrey. :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMO the best British comedy, or perhaps documentary :think: of all time. :D

Cheers Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Definitely a documentary.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

When it was on in prime time, I had friends in the so called public service who swore that it was a documentary. :D

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

secondtry wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:37 am When it was on in prime time, I had friends in the so called public service who swore that it was a documentary. :D
The key text for the scripts was an autobiographical memoir
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Crossman

Return to “Reloading”