30/06 Springfield

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: 30/06 Springfield

Post by Rod »

IMG_0765.JPG
That was the best group shot at 100 yards with 180 Nosler partitons with just 55 grains of AR 2209. Worst was 2". There going too slow I think ? :think:
IMG_0766.JPG
That Federal factory stuff is good stuff. But very, very expensive.
IMG_0767.JPG
Sierra 180 grain Gameking being pushed by just 55 grains of AR 2209. 200 yards, on a windy day. Shot damn near enough to same POI as Federal factory. Looks like I've found my cheap practice load... and pig load.
IMG_0768.JPG
Damn that Federal is good. But did I mention the price ! :lol: :lol:

I tried some Nosler partition 180 grain pills loaded with 57.5 grains of AR2209. Shot nicely ...about same size groups as Federal factory stuff...but several inches higher.... :think:

Also loaded up some old .. like 20 year old Remington 180 corelokts that I have sitting about. Damn things shot pretty well. 1inch or slightly over groups at 100yards. I also loaded them with AR2209 57.5 grains.

Looks like I'll be loading some Sierra's.

Cheers
Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good enough for minute of a pig. I used the 180 game kings for a couple of years before moving over to the 220gr woodleighs. I'll be moving down to 165gr size for a while to see how they kill.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I switched to the 130gn Woodleigh, but on testing I find from the short tube they are only 100fps faster then the 150gn pills.
So I might as well stick with more weight for better penetration.
I've got a load 22gn RN and even 240gn Woodleigh PP that I've thought about loading but I'm having a hard time finding any advantage in the heavier pills.
What's your load and speed with the 220's I might give em a run just to use up my supply.

Although to the groups shot, 2" isn't fantastic but it will still kill a deer at 300m, especially one of the larger ones.
Really a 1.5" is a happy group size for big game but these days everyone thinks they need varmint accuracy to kill anything, although I've found shots usually miss by feet not inches, and incorrect bullet choice for the game or range that's being shot at is the next biggest way to loose game.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

52 grains of 2209 for a 220gr Woodie at 2386 fps.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's alright, Reloader 17 will squeeze a bit more speed out of it then AR2209 does, possibly another 100fps that should make it even better.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:55 am I switched to the 130gn Woodleigh, but on testing I find from the short tube they are only 100fps faster then the 150gn pills.
So I might as well stick with more weight for better penetration.
I've got a load 22gn RN and even 240gn Woodleigh PP that I've thought about loading but I'm having a hard time finding any advantage in the heavier pills.
What's your load and speed with the 220's I might give em a run just to use up my supply.

Although to the groups shot, 2" isn't fantastic but it will still kill a deer at 300m, especially one of the larger ones.
Really a 1.5" is a happy group size for big game but these days everyone thinks they need varmint accuracy to kill anything, although I've found shots usually miss by feet not inches, and incorrect bullet choice for the game or range that's being shot at is the next biggest way to loose game.
Yep, 1.5" @100 is more than adequate for a deer/pig cartridge and 2" will suffice as well....but it is nice to know that you can still plug a hare or a rabbit at 200 yards with your hunting rifle...even with a 4x scope :whistle: :whistle:

but anyway the main purpose of the exercise was to get some loads that share the same (or near enough) the same POI & group size, at 200 yards, as my overseas hunting ammo. That achieved, my practice rounds will now cost less than $1 per shot. The Federal stuff is $4.35 per round... :shhh: I can see a lot of standing practice at the 200 meter metallic chickens now taking place. Well....at least 4 times as much :lol:

cheers
Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If your after practice ammo then use the cheapest pills you can find that will group similar and to the same poa and velocity and shoot shoot shoot.
I like spend a few rounds when I get back from a stalk shooting small stumps and termite mounds at various unknown ranges just to keep me 1st round hits average up.

Return to “Reloading”