Kipplauf Turkey

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

stokesrj

Re: Kipplauf Turkey

Post by stokesrj »

Just to add a little knowledge, the TSS is even harder than steel but there are two things working in your favor, the small size #9 flow through a tight choke very well, and the Flight Control Flex wad that Federal uses has extremely thick side walls which further reduces the ability of the hard shot to score the barrel or peen the choke. I have examined recovered Flight Control Flex wads that went through my .665, .660, .650, and .640 chokes. My bore is .725 so these are severe constructions, far tighter than you will find in a factory full choke. Yet, none of the shot were forced even half way through the walls of the shot collar.

However, the Federal 410 TSS loads is a different beast. It uses a thin shot cup and offers no such protection. I will not shoot it through one of my thin barreled side by side 410s.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

It rained all day yesterday and most of the night but luckily it stopped before sunup so up at 3:45 and on the road with my coffee by 4:15 for the hour drive to my farm. I got my gear together and headed into the woods. With all the rain it was quiet walking in the dark and I was able to get up on a hill in a spot the birds usually roost to wait for the sun to rise. They usually start to gobble about 6:30 but today nothing at all so I decided to sit over my decoys in a small opening near a small pond. About 7:15 I heard gobbles but far off but decided to call to them anyway. A gobbler answered but not real close so I started with more hen yelps and added in a few gobbles to make him think he had competition for the girl. After a few back and forth calls he went silent and I was hoping that meant he was coming in. I thought that he would come from my left but after about 20 minutes I saw something red out of the corner of my eye on my right. He snuck in on me and was staring at my decoys hidden. He was not calling, strutting or running in to attack my Jake decoy like they usually do.He crept very slowly forward and his head went behind a tree so I raised my Turkey kipplauf and waited. As soon as his head popped up I fired and he went right down, and again no flopping wings or moving at all. The TSS loads were devastating at 19 yards and now my Turkey season is over in Ohio this spring. I hope to get down to Kentucky because I have a permit.
356848C2-9588-4C54-B124-C9525508F4D6.jpeg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Good work, it's nice to see that not everyone needs a super long barrel, scope, special choke and 3.5" shells to hunt turkey with.
Like you always see on things like youtube.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

SPEEDY wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:45 am Good work, it's nice to see that not everyone needs a super long barrel, scope, special choke and 3.5" shells to hunt turkey with.
Like you always see on things like youtube.
I have been through all that but I find that this old single shot is the best turkey gun I have ever used. I also like to use my BBF 97 where legal because then I can shoot coyotes also.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I always thought that, when you watch Turkey hunts online it's always a single shot then either it's a dead bird or they are gone.
Makes a single shot light, handy and ideal for the job. I've got a soft spot for the old one and done.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”