Hello from the Philippines

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

monkeyhunter

Hello from the Philippines

Post by monkeyhunter »

Greetings Everyone,
My name is Jess, I'm 62 years old and live in the Philippines.
I started hunting in the United States off and on since 1984 but from 1996 to 2007 I hunted there every year, mostly for deer with the occassional elk and pronghorn thrown in.
I met Larry (elk88101) when I hunted in New Mexico in 2006 and he convinced me to go with him to Namibia for PG in 2008. Went back to Namibia for more PG this year and met Biebs whom Larry brought after they hunted the Caprivi for Elephant and Hippo.
2008 was when Larry first let me his Blaser and again this year.
Fearing that I was overdoing Larry's hospitality :oops: :oops: in letting me use his Blasers, Biebs helped me put together the following:
Pro Stock with Kickstop
Standard barrel with sights in .375 H&H topped with a Trijicon 1.25-4x25 on Blaser mounts
Standard barrel with no sights in 300WSM topped with a Swarovski PVI-2 3-12X50 with built in rails mounts
Standard barrel with no sights in .270 Wby topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X44 on Blaser mounts
Blaser sling in canvas and leather.
Case good for 3 scoped barrels and one stock
Contrary to what some of you guys might have come across in the Interenet there is practically no big game hunting in my country, much more about those wild tales of wild buffalo hunting.The pictures that some of you might have seen is that of a domestic water buffalo known locally as Carabao.
Glad to be on board!

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Re: Hello from the Philippines

Post by dinsdale »

Wow you have an excellent outfit put together!

I love Namibia and hope to return there myself in the future; glad to hear you have had a good time there as well.

:text-welcomewave:

Aside from Accurate Reloading...this has to be one of the most international boards I have ever seen on the net for hunting...... :clap:

All we need now is an Antarctic member to chime in. :whistle:

Biebs
Meister der jagd

Post by Biebs »

Guys, Jess is one of the most quiet, unassuming, but DEADLY hunters I've ever run across. Put a rifle in his hands in the presence of a game animal within 400 yards, and you will watch it drop on the spot, followed by a sheepish "I guess I hit it?". I guess a lifetime of sniping Monkeys at 200 yards makes for accurate shooting skills, for sure! Jess is why I have inundated the Classifieds recently looking for barrels, stocks, mounts, cases, etc. He will certainly be equipped to hunt the world with this set-up. His stock is on it's way to Phil at KDF now for some custom camo, the light trigger spring install, a Kick-eze or Decellerator pad, and Phil's improved Kickstop. In the meantime, I'm taking the scoped barrels, putting them on one of my other Blasers, and testing factory loads to get all the barrels to be 1/2" shooters. With a 270 Wby, a 300 WSM, and a 375 at your disposal in one neat travel case, I think you're set for anything, my friend. Mozambique awaits us next July!

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Post by retrieverman »

Welcome to the board!Image

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

Welcome to BlaserBuds.

What are the gun laws like in the Philippines?

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Yes welcome aboard. Sounds like you got a sweet package there. Got some good guys helping ya along the way too! :clap:

Dom

Post by Dom »

Welcome to the 'Buds monkeyhunter, that'll be a nice setup, you got some good help! Waidmannsheil, Dom.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Glad to have you here. We need all the help we can get, keeping Biebs and Larry lined out. ;)
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

monkeyhunter

Post by monkeyhunter »

Thank you all for the warm welcome :D :D and I'm very glad to be on board.
NE450No2 wrote:Welcome to BlaserBuds.

What are the gun laws like in the Philippines?
To own a firearm in the Philippines, one needs to secure a license from the Philippine National Police. To carry it outside of your residence, a Permit To Carry Outside Residence needs to be secured, also from the same agency.

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

How hard are the permints to get?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

:text-welcomeconfetti: a board monkeyhunter sounds like you have a great set up there mate look forward to some nice photos of your hunts
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

monkeyhunter

Post by monkeyhunter »

NE450No2 wrote:How hard are the permints to get?
I'm hard put to answer this but will try my best hopefully without touching on the sensibilities of some people. Permits To Carry Outside Residence are very difficult to get and it's very sparingly given out by the authorities and only in the context of self protection and not for hunting purposes. There is a ban on any kind of hunting by the Dept. of Environment and Natural Recources but due to lack of manpower and more important priorities, enforcement is very low on their agenda.
I'm sure many of you will question why I do hunt, mostly monkeys in my case. Years ago, I was approached by the farmers to hunt/destroy monkeys in their farms who raid and devastate their crops. In fact they are the ones who contact me when it's almost harvest season because that's when the monkeys come in from the deep forest to eat the corn. As to my firearm papers, I have a license to possess firearms as issued by the Philippine National Police, also, I am a civilian member of a military intelligence unit and have papers to legally carry my .223 Sako Vixen or my Browning A Bolt in .243 WSSM outside my residence. :shhh: :shhh:
For real hunting I have to go to Africa or the United States.
As to the request of our friend from Australia for pictures, I'll try to post some soon.
Thanks again for the welcome to this forum.

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”