Alliant RL19 and Magum Primers

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Alliant RL19 and Magum Primers

Post by 9.3x64 »

Hi,
Does anyone have any knowledge on using RL19 and magnum primers in .270, 280 Rem, 7x64 sized cases ?
I have a very accurate load in my 7x64 with 175 grain Woodleighs and RL19 (58.7 grains). The load is very accurate but every now and then, maybe one in every 10 shots it throws a very low velocity shot. I am using RWS standard Large rifle primers. I was thinking about trying magnum primers.
Is this worth trying?
How low do you believe I should start load development?

Thanks in advance
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Alliant RL19 and Magum Primers

Post by deerhunter338mag »

I've used reloader 15 and federal mag primers with my 243, and had no issues at all. I just use mag primers in everything I reload now as it's a much better burn rate and I get more accurate loads. Reloader powder has always been a great powder for getting a bit more speed. My only issue with Reloader is, it's a bit temperature sensitive and can play up on warmer days. That's why I stick to ADI if you can get it, as its made in a different world and hard to get here on earth for some reason. :roll:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm I've used reloader 15 and federal mag primers with my 243, and had no issues at all. I just use mag primers in everything I reload now as it's a much better burn rate and I get more accurate loads. Reloader powder has always been a great powder for getting a bit more speed. My only issue with Reloader is, it's a bit temperature sensitive and can play up on warmer days. That's why I stick to ADI if you can get it, as its made in a different world and hard to get here on earth for some reason. :roll:
Interesting, maybe I should just give it a try.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I went from Fed 210 to Fed 215 to try and improve accuracy with a 308 ball powder load.

Group size increased. No idea what the velocity spread was. Other than that, I have not used them in 308/30.06 sized cases

Another option might be to try a different standard LR primer, as the brands vary in their heat/power. Sometimes, consistency can be improved by going milder, not hotter.

I have also gravitated to DHs view and use ADI for the same reasons, although I do have two Alliant loads developed only for the horsepower, and not used over 200 yards - 300 max.

And just to mess with your mind - maybe it's not the primer :lol: , although I am unable to offer an alternative.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

If 1 in 10 or so shots has a low velocity, I'd suggest you make sure that prior to seating the primer there is no residual cleaning compound/ kernel in the primer hole if using a dry tumbler, or residual stainless pin if using a wet tumbler. I've had issues with both of these sitting in the primer hole and these need to be dislodged....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Joe338ST wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:25 pm If 1 in 10 or so shots has a low velocity, I'd suggest you make sure that prior to seating the primer there is no residual cleaning compound/ kernel in the primer hole if using a dry tumbler, or residual stainless pin if using a wet tumbler. I've had issues with both of these sitting in the primer hole and these need to be dislodged....
That’s interesting, I have never thought of that.
Most groups are very good, it’s just the odd one where the velocity is way off.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

secondtry wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:02 pm I went from Fed 210 to Fed 215 to try and improve accuracy with a 308 ball powder load.

Group size increased. No idea what the velocity spread was. Other than that, I have not used them in 308/30.06 sized cases

Another option might be to try a different standard LR primer, as the brands vary in their heat/power. Sometimes, consistency can be improved by going milder, not hotter.

I have also gravitated to DHs view and use ADI for the same reasons, although I do have two Alliant loads developed only for the horsepower, and not used over 200 yards - 300 max.

And just to mess with your mind - maybe it's not the primer :lol: , although I am unable to offer an alternative.
I am starting to think ADI powder is the way to do all future load devopment.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

9.3x64 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:37 pm
Joe338ST wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:25 pm If 1 in 10 or so shots has a low velocity, I'd suggest you make sure that prior to seating the primer there is no residual cleaning compound/ kernel in the primer hole if using a dry tumbler, or residual stainless pin if using a wet tumbler. I've had issues with both of these sitting in the primer hole and these need to be dislodged....
That’s interesting, I have never thought of that.
Most groups are very good, it’s just the odd one where the velocity is way off.
Dry media in particular is bad for that. If dry tumbled cases aren't checked individually, quite a significant number will have blocked flash holes.

Never had it happen with SS pins, but I always check anyway.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The term magnum primer is somewhat of a misnomer in that some standard primers have a larger flame and of longer duration than some Magnum primers. You really need to try a variety of primers to be sure you have the best for your application. The one constant is that Magnum primers are made using a thicker wall for the cup. They are generally much better for use in auto loading rifles because the thicker wall of the primer resists ignition from the inertia driven firing pin during the violent chambering action. The most consistent primers as far as producing very small velocity variations have been the Russian primers as sold by Wolf and others and their Magnum in both small and large rifle have a lower flame than their standard primers.
Robert J Stokes

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Magnum primers should create a larger, more intense flash than a non-magnum, though as noted there is a lot of variation across different makes. Because a magnum primer is generally more intense than a non magnum equivalent, you MAY see group size open up a little. I have also seen where even medium sized cases filled with nominally mid-range burning rate powders can benefit from magnum powders. A friend was running a case full of either 2209 or 2213 in a 6mm load that in theory only needed a large rifle primer, but was getting very erratic burn on his loads. Some shot fine, and others were showing over pressure signs. Once we switched to magnum LR primers, the load became much more consistent and we never had an issue after switching to magnum primers.

But the only way to know is to try them and see how it effects you particular load. Just start a few grains lower and work up, because you dont know what the change of a hotter primer might do to your load.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thanks everyone, I have loaded up a batch with magnum primers starting lower and working up.
I will provide an update after I test them.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 pm Thanks everyone, I have loaded up a batch with magnum primers starting lower and working up.
I will provide an update after I test them.
looking forward to it.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Reloading”