RAIL MOUNT VS RINGS

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

sjs52

RAIL MOUNT VS RINGS

Post by sjs52 »

I finally bought a Blaser (actually 2, one for my son last year) and thinking rail vs ring mount. I’m also talking with Eddie re: a new Z8i 1.7-13.3 X42 so it would be time to make the change. I have a 300WSM and 6.5x55 in R 93. My son has the 30-06 and 3000wsm. He will stay with the ring mounts.
What’s the consensus for those who have owned both?
I wlll be hunting moose in Newfoundland this fall and next year hopefully somewhere out west. If not i may go to Greenland for Musk OX or Reindeer.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Steve

slugslinger

Re: RAIL MOUNT VS RINGS

Post by slugslinger »

I have used both rail and standard ring scope mounting systems extensively for decades, and the rail is preferred by far. There is no need to "level" the rail scope because the rail does that automatically. The adjustment for eye relief is usually very flexible and easy. They are easy to secure to the mount and there is no chance for "ring slip" when you fire the rifle.

I just wish more scopes were available with a rail but only the high end scopes seem to have this feature. I do wish the various scope manufacturers had standardized the rail because they are not generally interchangeable. The only downside is that you need a rail scopemount (for that scope manufacturer) for your rifle and they can be hard to find and sometimes expensive.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

IMO it's a no brainer. The rail system is the cleanest and easiest to work with. No chance of mounting the scope off center and never any ring marks. Those two alone justify the rail mount. Having seen so many scopes ruined by over tightened or using inferior rings it is enough to make you sick. Worst I ever saw was a like new leupold that had rings on it that were so over tightened that they collapsed the wall of the scope. You couldn't see the damage until you removed the rings. Then there's my favorite the "Tally" mark which always leaves ring marks that cut through the scope finish and down to the tube. Once there it's ruined and tubes aren't cheap to replace.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

slugslinger wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 am I have used both rail and standard ring scope mounting systems extensively for decades, and the rail is preferred by far. There is no need to "level" the rail scope because the rail does that automatically. The adjustment for eye relief is usually very flexible and easy. They are easy to secure to the mount and there is no chance for "ring slip" when you fire the rifle.

I just wish more scopes were available with a rail but only the high end scopes seem to have this feature. I do wish the various scope manufacturers had standardized the rail because they are not generally interchangeable. The only downside is that you need a rail scopemount (for that scope manufacturer) for your rifle and they can be hard to find and sometimes expensive.

Regards,
There are several adapters made by European companies that easily adapt a rail scope to any picatinny or weaver base. Off hand this morning I can't think of any of the names but if and when I do I'll add them here. Some are really small and very well done. Of course I still have several OEM sets from Swarovski that also work very well. If Pigeon sees this post he'll know several brands that are available.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

If the scope you want is available in rail mounting then I would recommend rail mount. I like the clean look and I fine them very stable. There are other brands besides Blaser that offers rail mounts for Blasers. One that I like is INNOMOUNT. Pigeon with Titanium Gunworks Germany offers them and others.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rail in a heartbeat.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Rail mount in first, Daylight in second.... on a hunting rifle anyway... I can see more specialized situations where ring mounting might have more options available. I have had a scope shake loose on a rail once but I put that down to me not using a torque wrench and a bit of blue loctite...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Rail ...by a country mile.

Rod

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Rail for me,
The only downfall with rail is there is no 20/40moa rails that I know of if you want to stretch out your shots.
and you can't fit a bubble float ( anti cant)

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Rail all the way.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

thechamp wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:02 am
slugslinger wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 am I have used both rail and standard ring scope mounting systems extensively for decades, and the rail is preferred by far. There is no need to "level" the rail scope because the rail does that automatically. The adjustment for eye relief is usually very flexible and easy. They are easy to secure to the mount and there is no chance for "ring slip" when you fire the rifle.

Regards,
There are several adapters made by European companies that easily adapt a rail scope to any picatinny or weaver base. Off hand this morning I can't think of any of the names but if and when I do I'll add them here. Some are really small and very well done. Of course I still have several OEM sets from Swarovski that also work very well. If Pigeon sees this post he'll know several brands that are available.

Yes sir! Companies like Titanium Gunworks, NECG, and Optics Trade offer mounts from Recknagel and others . . .
I think my last Swarovski Rail mount for my M03 was close to $500 and for the Sauer 202 around $200

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

sjs52

Post by sjs52 »

I bought the rail mount from Eddie, being shipped today. Thank you for all of your expertise.

kbsr270

Post by kbsr270 »

Rail for me too.

Tomjoad

Post by Tomjoad »

Also trying to decide between rail and ring. Does anyone have both they can put on a scale? Curious about weight impact in either direction. I have good published data on the scope weight increase but I’m guessing the rail mount will be lighter than the ring mount? I can’t find blaser details or specs on this anywhere.

JD3006

Post by JD3006 »

Tomjoad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am Also trying to decide between rail and ring. Does anyone have both they can put on a scale? Curious about weight impact in either direction. I have good published data on the scope weight increase but I’m guessing the rail mount will be lighter than the ring mount? I can’t find blaser details or specs on this anywhere.
Best info I could find is 200g

I found this on the Stalking Directory forum.

Hope that helps

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”