Getting somewhere with S2 regulation

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Thorbrandr

Getting somewhere with S2 regulation

Post by Thorbrandr »

Finally, some headway!

After having the front clamp slip as I dialed it in last time, I used the timing rods and got the elevation reset. Elevation is back to being on now, and that front screw is well torqued.

Was also working up some loads after running through most of my factory ammo. Tried IMR 8133 and VV N160.

Decided to call it a day on this. Last 4 shots. 50 yards, with a muzzle rest. The low left shot was me - I had to pull it in to get that last shot off. My hand and middle finger is still bruised from last weeks slip.

The rifle liked the mid range N160 loads with the Woodleigh RNSN. 470 NE.

Now I need to walk this out.

T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Getting somewhere with S2 regulation

Post by 9.3x64 »

That’s bloody good shooting, you gotta be happy with that progress.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:47 pm That’s bloody good shooting, you gotta be happy with that progress.
Thank you.

I was hoping for touching at 100. Will need to see how they carry out that far. Implication is touching after crossover. Will have to see - this was literally at my limit at the end of the session today.

T

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

That looks damn good. Nice shooting too. I would have thought within 2" at 100m would have seen you good to go with that cal but I know nothing about the hunting conditions where you plan to use it.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Yes thats a great effort and should be close at 100.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Took it to 75 yards and 100 yards. Used a slightly hotter load (+1.2 gr), but should be at or just under 2150 fps.

1st left barrel at 75 yards I forgot about the front trigger. Got my finger cut - and pulled the shot. Wished they did not put that edge on them. Otherwise, 4 right barrel shots in ~1", with the left a little strung out. They do not appear to be crossing at 75 yards.

100 yard was frustrating. The barrel rests the range has have narrow bases, and the least bit of off line recoil and they tip to the left or right. No good way to stabilize the foreend the way the benches are setup. Added a 1 click POI to the right after the second set.

Overall the scope seems on. Left barrel may be high a bit - less than 1" at 100 yards?. Rifle is clearly capable of accuracy. Need to use a better barrel rest before I decide to adjust the barrels. That was acquired on the way out. Much more stable that what the range provides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Geez, that’s good shooting. They are all on the money for my mind.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 pm Geez, that’s good shooting. They are all on the money for my mind.
Thank you. Normally on autoloaders and bolts with a scope I can pull it in a lot higher (even the .375), but the swing on the S2 is taking some practice. Really needs good shoulder hold, correct hand grip (to avoid the middle finger vs trigger guard bruise), and correct back trigger discipline to avoid the cuts.

Practice, practice, practice.....

T

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If I can hit both barrels on a a 10" gong at 100m, that's about as good as I'm looking for.
They really aren't ment for stretching it out, I just zeroed the scope to the left barrel in case I had to take a longer shot, and the right barrel is still ringing that steel so it's plenty accurate for anything that jumps up.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Not sure why you're frustrated. That would monster anything you wanted to shoot 👍🏼 The RH bbl is looking seriously good, so nothing wrong with your load. The grouping of the LH bbl is possible you? and is pretty well lined up. I'd be doing a little dance if it were mine.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Vaughan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:53 am Not sure why you're frustrated. That would monster anything you wanted to shoot 👍🏼 The RH bbl is looking seriously good, so nothing wrong with your load. The grouping of the LH bbl is possible you? and is pretty well lined up. I'd be doing a little dance if it were mine.
Overall, it has exceeded the British standard for excellent! I could feel the rest rock over - I think I can do better. Trigger hold is different enough on the left that it is taking more work for me to settle in - so yes, I think it is me.

Considering the Right was hitting the left edge fo the target and the left the right edge, this s a huge improvement.

T

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I found with my double you have to shoot it on the knuckle like a shotgun, stops you double shooting unintended but it does hurt the accuracy a bit.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

With my BB97, the rifle is a RH setup and I'm LH so I find the back trigger a bit awkward and this reduces my accuracy somewhat with the upper bbl. Practice helps. I set it up so I can shoot 4 from 4 into 4" circle at 150m and stopped worrying about it. I think you've done a great job, but I'm just shooting at big brown things that don't want to eat me, so my standards are pretty relaxed :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I remember when I did my Blaser factory tour in 2017 I was eager to get into the factory...but they spent a significant amount of time talking about the different types of steel they use for various parts of a gun. They were passionate about their steel and often referred to the “cake mix”.
All steel was sourced from a German mill exactly to there various specific cake mix’s.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Vaughan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:28 am With my BB97, the rifle is a RH setup and I'm LH so I find the back trigger a bit awkward and this reduces my accuracy somewhat with the upper bbl. Practice helps. I set it up so I can shoot 4 from 4 into 4" circle at 150m and stopped worrying about it. I think you've done a great job, but I'm just shooting at big brown things that don't want to eat me, so my standards are pretty relaxed :lol: :lol:
I am left handed and have large hands. My S2 has a straight American stock. No noticeable cast off like I have seen on the Blaser shotguns. Triggers are the same as my left handed D99: Front trigger to the right of the rear. If I use just the pad of the finger, the recoil pushes the side of the front trigger into finger....ouchie. Need to put more finger on the rear trigger. Practice.

Bottom line is the rifle IS showing great accuracy, and it looks like I have the regulation pretty well set.

Thanks

T

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”