Dentler qd vario mounts

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Corson

Re: Dentler qd vario mounts

Post by Corson »

Post some pics when they arrive! I may have you take some measurements too if you dont mind!

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Probably not going to do either one of those things.

Busy packing to move.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

I've got 1 Dentler standard base and also 4 vario basis for my Blaser barrels. System should be great. However I believe there is a flaw in the Blaser version of the vario mounts.....

Last year, maybe 2 years ago, I started off with my 338WM barrel loaded with 250grain Berger Elite hunters to 2600fps (a very accurate load) and I zeroed it in on a vario base as I thought I might later decide to change my load to 225grain SSTs later. 1ST 3 shots cloverleafed at 100metres. I took the scope off and reattached it back on a few times and it held zero! Then the subsequent shots started to drift upwards.....and upwards.....Thinking the scope was slipping I checked my rings and scope position and they were fine, but noted the back of the vario basis where the screw adjustment sat for adjusting vertical height had cracked.....hence the vertical stringing....

Thinking this might be due to a faulty base, I swapped the basis vario to another, as I had ordered a few. To my disappointment the same thing happened to the second base after 5 shots! I noted that the crack in the steel base occurred in the same spot and was just below where the rear cross screw for elevation passes through the central portion of the base that rides up and down. Where the steel has been drilled through, the steel has been rendered too thin and as it is hardened it is prone to cracking especially under heavy recoiling calibres. The fact that I was using a heavy scope ie Zeiss V8 1.8-14 x 50 may have contributed...

To their credit, Optics Trade and Dentler promptly came to the party and provided me with 2 replacement vario bases. The advice to me by Dentler was to use the non-vario base (standard base) on my hardest kicking calibre, and use the vario on the lighter calibres and that is what I plan to do....

So the key now is to use the standard base (non adjustable) on the 338WM - and the load I chose will need to be determined for the 225SST Hornady projectiles (I'm yet to work up that load) and that will then be fixed.....never to change as once all the scopes I intend to use in the system are adjusted to it, they will need to stay fixed - as all the other barrels will have the vario bases in them that will be adjustable.... If I decide to change the 338WM projectile that is not on a vario base, then all the scopes will need to be adjusted for the new trajectory, and all the vario bases on other barrels will then need to be rezeroed using just one of the scopes...

I'm planning on using the system on 338WM, 300WM, 243REM, 22-250, and 22LR Blaser barrels, and a 458SOCOM in a Remington rifle....and with Zeiss V8, V6, Zeiss HT 1.5-6 with rail, Pulsar XM38 and a Hikmikro Panther PH50L......Bit of work to do.....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Corson

Post by Corson »

Its a shame they dont make an offset vario base for the r8. They do the stationary. Crazy to hear yours cracked.

The varios your using are more for a k95 but they will still bolt up obviously. Just didnt wanna mess with the eye relief

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”