Garmin Inreach Mini 2 - On sale at Anaconda for aussies

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

redstag

Garmin Inreach Mini 2 - On sale at Anaconda for aussies

Post by redstag »

Just saw in anaconda that they have a sale on the Garmin Inreach Mini2. Good little device to carry with your KTI PLB

https://www.anacondastores.com/4wd-cara ... lsrc=aw.ds

analog_peninsula

Re: Garmin Inreach Mini 2 - On sale at Anaconda for aussies

Post by analog_peninsula »

I’ve got a Garmin 66i with the InReach, and was able to send regular updates to my wife while I was hunting on the Namibia / Botswana border. It’s a better safety mousetrap if you hunt in remote areas.

Zboneee

Post by Zboneee »

Downside of the Mini2 is that you can only send preselected messages while it is paired with a smartphone. You can’t send custom messages, for example explaining the nature of your emergency, without being connected to a smartphone. I’ve never experienced a Bluetooth connection I would trust my life to, so I carry a Garmin InReach 66i, which works very well in the absence of a smartphone.

I have used mine to text back and forth with my wife when she was back home in the USA and I was in New Zealand and South Africa. Highly recommended device!

redstag

Post by redstag »

Zboneee wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:24 pm Downside of the Mini2 is that you can only send preselected messages while it is paired with a smartphone. You can’t send custom messages, for example explaining the nature of your emergency, without being connected to a smartphone. I’ve never experienced a Bluetooth connection I would trust my life to, so I carry a Garmin InReach 66i, which works very well in the absence of a smartphone.

I have used mine to text back and forth with my wife when she was back home in the USA and I was in New Zealand and South Africa. Highly recommended device!
You can send custom messages without even having to pair your phone it's just a pain in the ass to click each letter individually as it is on the 66i and the Explorer. In regards to preselected messages you only have to sync them to your mini once synced before youe trip you no longer need go connect to bluetooth to send thdm.

Battery life is better on the Mini 2 Up to 14 days at 10-minute tracking v 66i up to 35 hours at 10-minute tracking and Mini 1 Up to 90 hours at 10-minute tracking. You can do 30 minute tracking , mini 1 is at 24 days , mini 2 30 days and 66i 200 hours.

Not a deal breaker as once the message is sent best to turn it off until needed again unless you really need tracking.

Zboneee

Post by Zboneee »

Redstag: Thank you for that! I stand corrected. The only reviews I was able to find online about the Mini led me to believe otherwise. There is nothing like first-hand experience to set things straight! Knowing this now, I would definitely consider a Mini 2.

redstag

Post by redstag »

Zboneee wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 am Redstag: Thank you for that! I stand corrected. The only reviews I was able to find online about the Mini led me to believe otherwise. There is nothing like first-hand experience to set things straight! Knowing this now, I would definitely consider a Mini 2.
Not many reviews out there that really tell people how to use them properly unless they know someone who has one. I was eyeing out the 67i but since i only want the ability to text and SOS Mini made more sence.

If i ever take the plunge to hunt Montana Unlimited units will look at getting a 67i to have the GPS ability

analog_peninsula

Post by analog_peninsula »

There’s interesting battery life comparisons at the end of this page:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=F ... 4MRV1f75g5

Return to “Open discussion”