I Really Really Really Want A 22RF K95 Barrel

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

MM
Meister der jagd

I Really Really Really Want A 22RF K95 Barrel

Post by MM »

I have worked myself up into a fever over my need for a 22 rimfire barrel for my K95. I have emailed Blaser in Germany many times with zero response, I stopped by the Blaser booth at SCI and they never got back to me, I have made inquiries through two dealers and they get no response. One of the dealers told me if Blaser doesn’t want to do it they just don’t respond, so I guess they don’t want to make a custom barrel for the K95 crowd. I am thinking about having one made but not sure about the best way to go about it. I could take a barrel and have it sleeved with a 22 barrel or cut the barrel off and thread a new barrel into the breach block. Either way I would probably have to have the chamber offset or have a custom tilting block made or modified, and of course a new extractor which might be the easiest part in the process. This work is way over my head as to the best way to go about it but at the end I would obviously want it to be squirrel head accurate at 50 yards. I also don’t even know a gunsmith capable of this work.

mchughcb

Re: I Really Really Really Want A 22RF K95 Barrel

Post by mchughcb »

I admire your enthusiasm. It will be some undertaking if it could be done. For the price I reckon it would cost I've seen a beautiful Holland and Holland break action 22RF rook rifle.

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Maybe a cold shower is in order or a down loaded 22 hornet??

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Timbo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 pm Maybe a cold shower is in order or a down loaded 22 hornet??
I've done a lot of work down loading the 22 hornet in the K95, the big problem is actually getting it slow enough.
I've got a subsonic load, but it's a very fine line between subsonic and getting a projectile stuck in the tube.
The 1:16" twist rate is the problem, if you could use 50gn -55gn pills it would be simple, but at low velocity it's hard to get then to stabilise.
If your happy with a 40gn pill at 1400,1500fps then it's easy.

But it's more fiddly then just buying 22lr ammunition by a long way.
I would absolutely love someone to solve this dilemma by having one designed and built, that's definitely something I would seriously consider doing.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Speedy, I have been playing around with Trailboss in the hornet and not getting what I want. Accuracy then the velocity is too high. Low velocity not accurate. Might try some heavier bullets just hoping they might work or switch over to my 222 barrel with 55 grain bullets. 22 RF is the ticket.

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

I think the hardest part of the 22rf will be the rimfire jager block, and really that shouldn't be too hard to make.
I'd love a 22rf barrel or the option for 22rf , 22mag, 17hmr , 17wsm. Unfortunately it's probably just a pipe dream.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Where there’s a will and enough money, there’s a way.

Excessexpress

Re: I Really Really Really Want A 22RF K95 Barre

Post by Excessexpress »

jamesc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:03 pm I think the hardest part of the 22rf will be the rimfire jager block, and really that shouldn't be too hard to make.
I'd love a 22rf barrel or the option for 22rf , 22mag, 17hmr , 17wsm. Unfortunately it's probably just a pipe dream.
On a K95, I would think that a regular barrel of relatively small diameter set on a tall hinge block would allow the regular firing pin to strike the bottom (or alternatively the top) of the case.

Left hunter

Post by Left hunter »

That’s essentially what T/C did with rimfire barrels in the encore with no issues. Should work fine.

I currently run subsonic loads in my 22 hornet barrel using 1.9 grains of trail boss with a 33 grain hollow point for squirrels. While I would still prefer an actual rimfire barrel that load has worked fine for me

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

currently run subsonic loads in my 22 hornet barrel using 1.9 grains of trail boss with a 33 grain hollow point for squirrels. While I would still prefer an actual rimfire barrel that load has worked fine for me.

Two questions, What 33grain bullet are you using and what kind of accuracy are you getting at 25 and 50 yards?

Left hunter

Post by Left hunter »

I bought the bullets from midway a long time ago when they had them for $6 per 1000. I kinda assume they are 22 magnum bullets but it doesn’t really say.

I have only shot one group with this load and it was so good I decided not to shoot another one since I know I could never duplicate it again and have just hunted with it since.

I first tried 2.2 grains but half of them were supersonic and half subsonic. Made for an erratic shooting gun.

Left hunter

Post by Left hunter »

Here is a close up of that target. That’s 3 in the center at 25 yards (top one was first shot before adjusting the scope)which seemed plenty good for the squirrel hunting I was gonna do with that gun. The 2.5x heavy duplex I have on it is definitely not the ideal for finding squirrels in the tree though

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

If everyone would email Blaser with a request for a custom 22 RF barrel maybe they would start offering them when they see the demand.

Left hunter

Post by Left hunter »

Yeah, I would really like a .22 lr barrel and a .410 barrel

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Stopped by the Blaser SCI booth in Nashville last week and I tried to order a 22RF barrel. I was told any custom barrel, but especially a 22RF is never going to happen. I guess if I want one I will have to go full on custom made.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”