Setting Correct Headspace on Blaser R8

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Setting Correct Headspace on Blaser R8

Post by 9.3x64 »

Hi, just wondering how you guys set the correct headspace on an R8. I imagine.003-.004” would be about right, but how are achieving this accurately for an R8?

Thanks Allan
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Re: Setting Correct Headspace on Blaser R8

Post by Gamsjagd »

I jam it into the lands and keep pushing down until I am happy with performance. As this is a hunting rifle, I don't kill myself for a much beyond an inch of accuracy for a 5 shot group.

If I have factory ammo in the same bullet and weight that shoots well I just do them the same as the factory bullet jump.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:43 am Hi, just wondering how you guys set the correct headspace on an R8. I imagine.003-.004” would be about right, but how are achieving this accurately for an R8?

Thanks Allan
You're talking shoulder bump here, right? I'm not sure why that would be different for the R8 vs anything else. Am I missing something? FWIW, I use about 0.004" bump for my R93s.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I am not too picky. Sometimes I will check and see if a couple of fired cases will chamber without resistance. If so I may set the sizing die accordingly. Otherwise I will aim to bump the shoulder back .002”-.003”. I figure as long as it chambers without resistance, the less stretch the better.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Vaughan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 am
9.3x64 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:43 am Hi, just wondering how you guys set the correct headspace on an R8. I imagine.003-.004” would be about right, but how are achieving this accurately for an R8?

Thanks Allan
You're talking shoulder bump here, right? I'm not sure why that would be different for the R8 vs anything else. Am I missing something? FWIW, I use about 0.004" bump for my R93s.
Yes shoulder bump not bullet jump.
I guess the theory should be the same, but maybe just a bit more shoulder bump than a conventional bolt gun.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

dchamp wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:17 am I am not too picky. Sometimes I will check and see if a couple of fired cases will chamber without resistance. If so I may set the sizing die accordingly. Otherwise I will aim to bump the shoulder back .002”-.003”. I figure as long as it chambers without resistance, the less stretch the better.
That’s what I have been doing for years. Just set the shoulder bump the same as once fired cases, and it has been working fine. The part that I find interesting is that I have never had a single fired case in multiple calibres (7x64, 8x68, 9.3x62)ever show much resistance. Is that normal?

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:53 pm
Vaughan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 am

Thanks Allan
Yes shoulder bump not bullet jump.
I guess the theory should be the same, but maybe just a bit more shoulder bump than a conventional bolt gun.
The R8/R93 doesn't generate the same force to push a long case into the chamber that you would get from the typical turn bolt - maybe, I do not really know... I neck sized my R93 6mmbr for a while and got a few "clicks" doing that so stopped. With that round I try for something like .002" but usually measured brass is .003" it springs about a bit. Never made any difference precision-wise. For the others where I might need a 2nd shot I like to be sure there is a bit of space so opt for .004". I use a typical bump guage to measnre the shoulder. I've used the old masking tape meathod and I guess you can use shims of some sort but for me I just need to know close enough.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Reloading”