Ballistol

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

MM
Meister der jagd

Ballistol

Post by MM »

Ballistol is always touted as a do all cleaner and lubricant for any material- wood, metal, leather and even a cure for constipation. If you are using it what are you using it on and how? It supposedly dissolves carbon lead and copper and lubricates your barrel with no harmful effects is this true and is it an effective cleaner and rust prevention?
Matt

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: Ballistol

Post by ebrownw2 »

Never heard of it, but you’ve got my ears perked.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I've used it quite a bit as a general treatment after a day out on a wet mountain hunting birds. I've used it as a bore cleaner for the shotgun as well but mostly again for water after wet days. It has served me quite well and is simple when camping or out in a very basic cabin. Spray, wipe, done.... I wouldn't consider it a bore cleaner for my rifles. I tend to use Prolix or Froglube as a general wipedown treatment with my rifles, I'm not a huge fan of the smell of Ballistol - but it is what I keep in my mountain bag.

I remember Skeetshot posted a report here on its rust prevention abilities some years ago. Compared it to Prolix maybe??? Some one might remember or be able to find it.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Found the an old post from back in 2014 that I started asking about it. I think I just put it on a shelf back then and just found it again. I might put it on my oily rag to wipe down my guns and maybe put it on some shotgun boresnakes to start. I do like that it doesn’t damage wood.

Dom

Post by Dom »

You gotta let the smell grow on you, lol, takes a few years, it is certainly unique. I've used it quite a bit, I spray it on my silicone cloths that I used to wipe down weapons. I've never tried it as a bore cleaner, I rely on Wipe Out for that.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I have used it for many years.
I put some on a rag to wipe metalwork before putting it in the safe.
I use it in the bores after cleaning with Roblo Solo (Best solvent I have ever used by far).
And I use it as a salad dressing… :lol:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

2nd to none for cleaning black powder residue, once I tried it I never looked back.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

PRO-R8

Post by PRO-R8 »

I use it for a lot of stuff. It's kind of a do it all.

I think of it as mineral oil with German perfume.
I like the smell.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

I think my father sells it. Or he did.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

PRO-R8 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 am I use it for a lot of stuff. It's kind of a do it all.

I think of it as mineral oil with German perfume.
I like the smell.
Actually, I kind of like the smell of it too, I can't say that for any other gun cleaning compound.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I use it all the time for shotgun barrels wipeout. The fumes get me coughing immediately. Don't really like it to be honest. It's a light lubricant with fumes.

Vol423
Meister der jagd

Post by Vol423 »

Developed by Germany in WW1. Derived from coal. The only thing I don't like is the smell. You can buy it on Amazon. I have 6 quarts of it and use it for just about everything on steel.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

The stocks of 80-90% of the used wood guns in Germany are soaked through with it.

ajamils1

Post by ajamils1 »

Gamsjagd wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:18 pm The stocks of 80-90% of the used wood guns in Germany are soaked through with it.
Ordered a can for the first time. Will see how it when it arrives in couple of days.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

ajamils1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:32 pm
Gamsjagd wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:18 pm The stocks of 80-90% of the used wood guns in Germany are soaked through with it.
Ordered a can for the first time. Will see how it when it arrives in couple of days.
I hope you also ordered a peg for your nose.... :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Open discussion”