New Blaser Owner: Trigger Question

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Blackbear

New Blaser Owner: Trigger Question

Post by Blackbear »

I recently picked up a Blaser combination in 16 gauge over 243. Very pleased with it but have been trying to familiarize myself with the firearm having never used a combination gun, or a Blaser for that matter. Not having any documentation to go with it has only made that more challenging, but I’ve found a lot of good information on this site, leading me to believe that it is likely an ES70 model or similar. My only complaint at this point is the unusually heavy triggers. I haven’t measured them, but they must be 8-10lbs for both the rifle and shotgun! Seems excessive for a firearm of this quality. I removed the stock thinking something might be gummed up, worn or broken, only to find a very clean and well functioning mechanism. It was also through this that I discovered the set trigger on the rifle barrel which is extremely light, to the point of almost being scary! The normal trigger mechanism is fairly rudimentary, with the trigger simply impinging directly on the “hammer”, to force it out of a notch, allowing it to slam forward. I could find no signs of wear, misadjustment, or other issue with the mechanism. I reassembled and took it to the range. Everything functions as it should, generally pleased with the results but again I’m stuck between the standard, or direct triggers, which are extremely heavy, or the set trigger on the rifle, which is extremely light (although adjustable).

Sorry for the long winded narrative, but I guess my question is whether or not this sounds normal, or if I likely have an issue that needs to be looked at by a professional? Anyone have similar experience? Thanks in advance!

analog_art

Re: New Blaser Owner: Trigger Question

Post by analog_art »

Congratulations on your purchase! I used to own an ES63 in exactly those calibers. With the original Zeiss scope.

The triggers on the older combination guns that I've handled are not as light or crisp as those on a modern weapon. I never gauged the trigger weight on mine but I never felt that either trigger on mine was too heavy. Keep in mind that these aren't designed to be 300-meter weapons. Some of them can be that accurate but they're designed for close-in drive hunts or stand hunting in forests - most shots in the forest are 100 meters or less.

Those set triggers can be exciting. I had to have a gunsmith look at the set trigger because it would release if the weapon was handled roughly - smacking the butt of the stock was enough to release the set trigger. Fortunately I discovered that with snap-caps in the weapon. Anyway it turned out that the spring in my weapon had been changed and was the wrong part. After a new spring was installed the set trigger was merely sensitive, not dangerous. Obviously you don't want to set the trigger and then carry it around in that condition - that's why the set trigger (should) un-set if you de-cock the weapon.

You need to learn the stringing behavior of the rifle barrel. As the barrel heats up your shots will string out - if you're lucky they string straight up and you just have to hold a bit low for a fast follow-up shot. When I was learning to shoot mine I had to wait about 10 minutes between shots to completely avoid the hold-over...if I did that it would put multiple shots in a single hole at 100 meters.

Blackbear

Post by Blackbear »

Thank you for the response and I agree with your thoughts on the firearm’s purpose. I purchased it for just such situations, basically close in hunting in the dense forest surrounding my cabin.

I wanted to quantify what I’m feeling with the triggers and set out to “measure” the trigger pull. They are well over 8lbs so the scale I had available wouldn’t work. Using some rudimentary techniques I estimate the rifle trigger to be 9lb, the shotgun trigger closer to 12lb! Trust me, it feels like an eternity trying to shoot this rifle off the bench.

I’ve got to assume this is abnormal but I really appreciate any additional feedback. I’ve tried to post pictures but have not had any luck.

Blackbear

Post by Blackbear »

After a couple of email exchanges with Blaser USA they stated the following:

“ Unfortunately, the trigger pull is non-adjustable. The weight given below was factory standard.”

Also, that they could not service due to vintage of the firearm.

I’m disappointed to say the least. I guess I’ll contact a local smith to see if they can improve things at all. I still find it hard to believe that such a nice firearm could have such a poor trigger. It seems unfitting.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”