ADI Brass Headspace Issues

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: ADI Brass Headspace Issues

Post by Rod »

mchughcb wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 pm Well I have no idea. The first part of the plan worked okay and I was able to get the rounds to fire and accurate. However all rounds were almost impossible to extract. With break open lever to the right I had to break the rifle over the knee to get it open. Pressure doesn't look that high.

Just waiting for the Hornady replacement brass next week and hopefully I can go back to how it used to shoot and extract.
I think that the ADI brass has less capacity. I was using Winchester brass with 42.5 grains of 2206H with 150 grain Sierras. No issues, good accurate load. Changed brass to once fired ADI. Flattened primer and stiff bolt lift.

I haven’t bothered mucking around with the ADI 308 brass since.

Also…..with factory loaded ADI /OSA 308 with the 168 grain match King loads I’ve had 2 rounds fail to chamber in my R8. That’s over about 1000 rounds. Both rounds chambered and fired in a T3.

Rod

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The ADI brass is supposed to be a bit thicker as its mentioned to be used in machine guns, it needs to be thicker to handle rapid fire in hot chambers and not come apart.
That doesn't make it ideal for reloading, but it's still pretty decent brass for the money.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Rod wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 pm
mchughcb wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 pm Well I have no idea. The first part of the plan worked okay and I was able to get the rounds to fire and accurate. However all rounds were almost impossible to extract. With break open lever to the right I had to break the rifle over the knee to get it open. Pressure doesn't look that high.

Just waiting for the Hornady replacement brass next week and hopefully I can go back to how it used to shoot and extract.
I think that the ADI brass has less capacity. I was using Winchester brass with 42.5 grains of 2206H with 150 grain Sierras. No issues, good accurate load. Changed brass to once fired ADI. Flattened primer and stiff bolt lift.

I haven’t bothered mucking around with the ADI 308 brass since.

Also…..with factory loaded ADI /OSA 308 with the 168 grain match King loads I’ve had 2 rounds fail to chamber in my R8. That’s over about 1000 rounds. Both rounds chambered and fired in a T3.

Rod
I think you are right Rod. The pressure must be way higher as I have trouble opening the action nor can I close it on a fired round. I was using 43.5gr of 2206H with 165gr nosler ballistic tips. The tilting block is really getting imprinted with brass. I never had an issue with the same load in hornady.

Fingers crossed the hornady brass coming is the same as my current batch. The ADI 243 and 223 brass hasn't been a problem. Too bad about the 308.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Went to the range today and used the old Hornady brass with the same load. No misfires, no hard to extract cases, no brass imprint on the tilting block and shooting straight. That ADI brass is being removed from service and I'll stick with the Hornady brass going forward. That's too bad as the 223 and 243 is great.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

mchughcb wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:08 am Went to the range today and used the old Hornady brass with the same load. No misfires, no hard to extract cases, no brass imprint on the tilting block and shooting straight. That ADI brass is being removed from service and I'll stick with the Hornady brass going forward. That's too bad as the 223 and 243 is great.
Good move. Glad you have finally sorted it out.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

9.3x64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 am
It actually started getting depressing having to break the gun over the knee open the action. Today it was how it used to be as smooth as silk. If the hornady brass is great then I'm done for the next 5 years. If the refurbished stuff is no good then I'll buy a big swag of new quality brass and go from there. I want to do a bit more hunting with it this year so everything has to work every time.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

mchughcb wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 am
9.3x64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 am
It actually started getting depressing having to break the gun over the knee open the action. Today it was how it used to be as smooth as silk. If the hornady brass is great then I'm done for the next 5 years. If the refurbished stuff is no good then I'll buy a big swag of new quality brass and go from there. I want to do a bit more hunting with it this year so everything has to work every time.
Yes it has to function perfectly every time.
Nothing bloody worse than being out in the paddock, and having function problems with your ammunition.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Return to “Reloading”