The 22LR

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

thechamp
Administrator

Re: The 22LR

Post by thechamp »

skeetshot wrote:All this talk about the S & W Model 41 makes me remember that till a few years back, when my eyes were much better, I would enjoy shooting .22 empties at the 25 meter range. I mentioned this once to my son. A few days later he asked me to come with him to the range. I was curious, because though he is a good shot (he was Junior National Champion in Skeet), he is not overly fond of going shooting. Anyway, we went to the range and he put up matchsticks at 15 yards and proceeded to shoot off their heads. I was so proud, I cannot describe.

I promptly gifted the 41 to him. :)

That was a nice thing to do! Hell of a shot - both of ya'll! :clap: :clap:

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

Arcturus wrote:NE450 No2, I too have the 2 inch S&W kit gun. In fact, you and I discussed this idea on another board where I use a different login name. I like it so far, but need to shoot it a bit more. For added accuracy in a survival situation, I wonder if the Crimson Trace grips would be worthwhile.

As far a .22 autos go, my brother recently bought a SIG Trailside for his son. They love it so far, reporting 100% reliability and extreme accuracy. It's quite a bit less expensive than my S&W 41 with extra Clark optic barrel and Docter Optic sight. The Trailside was made by Hammerli, and Hammerli not imports the gun under its own name as the Exesse. I may wind up with one at some point.
Somehow I missed your question about the Crimson Trace Grips. I really like them. I have used them on 1911's and 44 Mags, and AR's as well. I have shot some "living things" with them. They work great. They are well worth the money they cost. Money Well spent, IMHO...

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

Firearm technology is a constantly evolving scenario, and I would venture to say with the advent of devices like the crimson trace and other forms of laser sights, the technique for sighting a handgun is due for a total overhaul.

Gone will be the days when we concentrate on the front sight.

Gone will be the days of the Trijicon type glowing sights.

It is only natural for a human being to look at his/her target, and once that red laser dot is on it two things will happen:

1) The user will have quicker acquisition of the target and with more confidence.

2) If the target is a perpetrator, the psychological effect of having red on one's body will often act as a deterrent hopefully preventing a potential deadly situation, although not necessarily so.

For short range work, the laser red dot is difficult to beat.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Put me down for the Browning Buckmark. I have the 7 1/2" heavy fluted and the varmint model that has a 10 " heavy barrel with a wooden forearm.
I lusted after a model 41 for years and finally one of my friends traded one to me in a gun swap. Maybe he sold me a wore out one but it wouldn't compete with my Buckmarks. I was so disappointed because the 41 is just such a pristine looking, sexy (is it ok to call a gun sexy?) piece of work, Maybe I didn't use the right ammo or something but I'm sticking with my brownings.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

pago

Is the Browning 22LR "pistol looking carbine", the same "gun" and magazines as the Buckmark???

If so that is a neat concept.

I wish S&W would do the same "thing" and make a Mod 41 "Carbine".

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Yes, sir! It is a shooter as well. I had lusted after a model 41 for so long, was so disappointed in it's performance compared to the Buckmark.............. Maybe it was the ammo that I selected but I shot both guns with the same ammo.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

I do not have a lot of experience with the Browning.

But I have a bunch of experience with the S&W Mod 41, not only mine but those of other Bullseye shooters.

Several were tested at 50 yards in a Ransom Rest. All were very accurate.

Ty1967

Post by Ty1967 »

Love the 22lr in the right hands deadly. Ty

papabear

Post by papabear »

I have an older Mk I 5.5 bull that has some trigger work. It shoots great, and since I don't do competition shooting, the 9 shot magazine is of no consequence. My daughters all learned to shoot handguns starting with it.

I often covet a 41, but no justification exists.....

Jack

challer

Post by challer »

The S&W 617 and Ruger Single Ten are staples here. I have both and find them to function reliably with great accuracy. Still have my old bull barrel MarkII I'll keep forever. Trying out a CP33 now - up to 50 rounds in a single magazine. I cannot explain the appeal.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The 22 LR pistol is a must have for any serious sportsman. I still have my Ruger Bearcat from my youth, I'm fond of it as a nostalgic piece that has shared many adventures with me. I killed the biggest whitetail buck that I've ever taken in Florida with it when I was 15 years old. So it will stay with me until I die. But my current 22 pistol is a ruger 22/45 lite with an Aimpoint H1 Micro and Thunder Beast Takedown silencer. I added all the Volquartsen goodies to make it more shootable. It is my truck gun and has killed many rattlers, jackrabbits, coyotes, fox and even a coatimundi. I've really learned to appreciate the CCI Subsonic segmented hollowpoint ammunition at 1050 fps. With this load, the Ruger is accurate, handy, lite, and far more deadly than standard hollowpoints. The 41 is more sexy, but this one suits my needs better.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Handguns”