New Benelli U/O shotgun

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Re: New Benelli U/O shotgun

Post by TheoR8 »

mchughcb wrote:Some quality opinions there. Ole Nigel was challenged to bring any double to shoot against the bbf. In the end the guy was a huge BS artist and hasn't been seen or heard of for years.
Don't forget con-artist too. :angry-fire: :handgestures-thumbup:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

He used to give me a lecture about blasers ever bloody time I saw him or he posted. Including the link GBE put up. In the end I asked him to bring down his best british "whatever" down to little river to see how it compared. Unfortunately it was the big no show.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

If you read between the dross you'll find in that thread one of the few explanations of how the action works accompanied by patent pics in English on the web - there is another set of patent pics posted on one of the German hunter training websites but.....

Double gun purists are what they are, and see something that delivers 500g leaving the muzzle at 2150 fps as the pinnacle and all one would ever require and then they wonder why the rest of the rifle owning community see doubles as 50m DG guns only

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I have never understood the premium prices some big name British guns command.I am sure they are very well made guns, but I can't see the hundreds of thousands of dollars in them that some costs.
Maybe I am just a heathen that drags my knuckles on the pavement as I walk down the street.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Double gun purists are what they are, and see something that delivers 500g leaving the muzzle at 2150 fps as the pinnacle and all one would ever require and then they wonder why the rest of the rifle owning community see doubles as 50m DG guns only
There is a lot of truth in that statement there. I'm too poor to tie up that much capital in a gun that is only good for 50m at an animal that I'll hardly, if ever hunt. I know guys that have hunted Buff but couldn't hunt a sambar to save their lives :whistle:

Vol423
Meister der jagd

Post by Vol423 »

I have a left hand one. I adjusted it to fit and have mostly shot it for pheasants and doves here. In May I took it along on safari to South Africa and shot doves, pigeons, ducks and geese Guinea fowl and frankolin with it. The PH thought it sounded quite different from other shotguns. Must be the overboring.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm
CH8846 wrote:A moving breach face? what's the reason for that???
The block containing the firing pins locks into an extension of the barrels behind the chamber, allowing the rest of the receiver to be made out of light metal whilst high pressure loads can be used comfortably.

As stated above, to my eye this is just another incarnation of Jagers 1906 patent. There is a pretty good discussion on the history of that lock and its recent incarnations such as the S2 here http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... t=all&vc=1
That was an interesting thread (I know it was an old one). Lots of rubbish but also a lot of good info. Frankly I've never understood the lack of ejectors on my BB97, I'm sure there is a logical and obvious reason but I don't know what it is. And pulling the back trigger is not a comfortable exercise - to the point of being difficult - I don't understand why they have designed the stock this way (or exactly why it is so awkward), my old Browning O/U double trigger shotgun is just fine... but I only hunt moose with it so don't really care about the DG limitations (and its a BB97 not an S2 so none of whuch has anything to do with the jaeger block).

A real head-scratcher for me was the complaint that the Blaser owner had to regulate their own rifle and couldn't rely on the factory regulation.... This is a problem? :doh:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

They look good to my eyes. But I have yet to handle one. The advertisements look good. Tiffany Lakosky looks good handling it, in her full upland regalia. It is a neat gun. The 828 has a lot of technolgy in it, and we havne't really seen that since the Browning Cynergy.

The cheapest one is about $2500 for a hunting gun to about $4000 for a progressive balancing sporting clays model, from what I can see available.

Shot the Blaser F16 at a Blaser open house event in Frankfurt at the clays yard. Blaser F16 cheapest models from Euro Optic are $5213. I would guess wholesale is around $4000. Maybe for a huge dealer it is probably $3800. So maybe you could get some kind of a deal. The standard sporting clays F16 is $5792.

The Blaser F3 is about a $9500-30,000 gun. Handles like a dream, but is probably more of a gun that most weekend shooters and hunters need.

I don't think there is as much technology in the F16 as there is in the Benelli. I was told by Blaser reps that the F3 was built to take 1,000,000 rounds, and the F16 was built for someone who wasn't trying to compete in the Olympics but liked to shoot clays on the weekend and take it hunting.

I shot a F16 after not shooting clays in about 3 years and broke 16, so not a bad day. I can't remember if I shot it left handed or right handed, as I am right handed and left I dominant. I am much better with my left hand shooting clays. As this is a new routine for me I usually forget and go back to old habits.

Going back to the Browning Cynergy. I used to shoot the one LL Bean had at their 5 stand center regularly. I loved it. I couldn't get over the way it looked back then. This was in about 2007-2010. Today it wouldn't be a problem for me.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I like the F16 sporter better than the 828U field. I have not tried 828U sporter.

For a field gun the 828U seems fine.

Return to “Shotguns”