"Primus Inter Pares"

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

stokesrj

"Primus Inter Pares"

Post by stokesrj »

Lately I've been struck by the big bore handgun bug. This largely stems from my disappointment using the .357 and .44 magnum calibers for taking big game. But my focus has moved to the .454 Casull which is a whole new ball game for me, if not for all of you. A 240-250-260 grain bullet at 2,000 feet per second is devastating to any game animal, they can't stand up to it.
I've been playing with a Freedom Arms model 83 in 454 Casull for a few months now. Hand loading and trying various factory loads. All I can say is that this is an awesome caliber in an awesome handgun.
I have several Bowen custom Rugers that are great handling and great shooting guns but even after Bowen does his magic on them they are still Rugers. The Freedom Arms 87 is a totally different level of precision. The cylinders are bored in line with the barrel, all tolerances are minimal, and the cylinder gap is held to .002". Mine is .001".
I have found several loads that will shoot 1-2" groups at 50 yards and I have even shot one group that measured 1" at 100 yards. That is phenomenal for a revolver.
My current 83 is a 7.5" Magnaported version with a 2X Leupold extended eye relief scope. I like it so well I bought a second one today. This is also a 7.5" but this one is not ported. Instead it is an octagonal barrel with several upgrades, a honed an tuned action, trigger over travel stop, engine tuned trigger and hammer, and Ivory Micarta grip. I like it much. "Primus Inter Pares" means first among equals in English.
I love this gun.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Re: "Primus Inter Pares"

Post by SPEEDY »

That would give Dirty Harry a fatal hard on :lol:

What's next bfr 45/70?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Good looking revolver. I do like the look of an octagon barrel. Never fooled with the caliber but always understood it to be a bad muther.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

SPEEDY wrote:What's next bfr 45/70?
I have owned a few 45-70 rifles and I think I'll stick to rifles in this caliber. But the Freedom Arms model 83 is also available in .475 Linebaugh and .500 Wyoming Express if the 454 becomes too tame for me. :)

The 454 will get into the lower end of 45-70 ballistics. Yet is surprisingly manageable once you learn how to shoot it. The more I shoot it the more fun it becomes. Today I'm trying some 365 grain Wide Flat Point loads. This is a hard cast lead bullet with a gas check at 1350 FPS. It will shoot though about four feet of flesh and bones. The recoil of this load is significant but controllable. I've shot it with my metallic sights but today I'll be shooting it with the scope for accuracy. I've ordered a set of grip inserts for my Ransom Rest to better see what the loads are capable of when it gets here.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

We will have to talk you into one of them 600 nitro pistols, that's the power you need. :twisted:

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Nice looking pistol Bob, unfortunately we're not able to get handguns over here unless your able to jump through every hoop and obstacle known to man. Best of luck with it can't wait to see you take some game with it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

That is a beautiful revolver Bob, elegantly understated with very clean lines. I especially like the jeweling on the trigger and and hammer spur.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

dchamp wrote:That is a beautiful revolver Bob, elegantly understated with very clean lines. I especially like the jeweling on the trigger and and hammer spur.
Yes I was thinking the same thing.
Very very nice.
It looks very intimidating.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

9.3x64 wrote:
dchamp wrote:That is a beautiful revolver Bob, elegantly understated with very clean lines. I especially like the jeweling on the trigger and and hammer spur.
Very very nice.

It would definitely add a lot of emphasis to the quietly spoken words "If I were you I'd get out of my house" after being woken by someone in you living room in the wee hours of the morning :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I recently read an account where the 454 Casull was used to stop a home invasion. The shooter was using the Barnes 250 grain factory load which is mild by 454 standards 1,650 feet per second. The invader was a big man over 300 pounds. I won't describe his race because that would be politically incorrect. This large man took the hit in the belly just above the belly button. The crime scene description was very gruesome with part of his spine laying on the floor behind him. The invader was pronounced dead at the scene.
I don't think the 454 is the best home defense gun, especially since it will shoot through a lot of walls, but it sure seemed to be decisive if this account is true.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Get some soft soft hollow points, if used correctly then it won't go through a wall without disintegration and when used in that fashion should pop a big man in half :lol:

chalky
Meister der jagd

Re: RE: Re: "Primus Inter Pares"

Post by chalky »

SPEEDY wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:
Very very nice.

It would definitely add a lot of emphasis to the quietly spoken words "If I were you I'd get out of my house" after being woken by someone in you living room in the wee hours of the morning :lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Thanks for the compliments, I really like this pistol and admire the precision and craftsmanship that Freedom Arms put into it.

I was shooting my first Model 83 today. It is the same as my new one but less fancy, it also has a 7 1/2 inch barrel but round and Magna-Ported. It also has a 2X Leupold M8 extended eye relief scope on it. My goal was to find a moderate load that was pleasant to shoot and very accurate.

Two bullets were tried, a 250 grain Hornady XTP and a 300 Hornady XTP Mag. Hornady warns not to drive the 250 XTP to full 454 Cassul velocities because it can't take the 65,000 psi launch and could shed it's jacket leaving it lodged in the barrel. The 300 XTP Mag has a much tougher jacket and can be driven full throttle. Since I was looking for a moderate velocity range using HS6 powder, that was not a concern to me.

The first load was the 250 XTP over 18 grains of HS6 and it did well. I fired two five shot groups at 25 yards from a rickety wooden bench and a cheap MTM handgun rest. This was not Ideal but I could tell with the scope that my hold wasn't that bad, less than 1/2". The first five shot group measured was the one on the left in the picture below and measured 1.54" center to center.

I then adjusted the scope 8 minutes right and shot a second five shot group which measures 1.26" center to center. Four of the five shots were under one inch. I decided to move to the 300 grain bullet next.

The 300 grain XTP was loaded over 15.0 grains of HS6, loaded in a Star Line Case, lit by a CCI large pistol primer, and crimped into the channeler with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Wow, this is a keeper, the group measures .485" center to center. I liked this load, it was pleasant to shoot, let you know there was some power, but lifted the gun only 18" or so. A slow rolling recoil. What is not to like???? It put a big smile on my face.

Robert J Stokes

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I have a Field Grade in .454 and it will get your attention right quick. Very accurate and hard hitting. Congratulations.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Better then some lever rifles I've shot.

Return to “Handguns”