The 22LR

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

The 22LR

Post by NE450No2 »

In these times, of not only expensive, but hard to find ammo, a good 22LR handgun or two can pay for themselves in a very short time.

Here are a few recomendations.

First semiautos:

For the lowest price semiauto that is accurate and will function take a look at the Ruger.

For the finest semiauto, look at the S&W Model 41.

If you are a 1911 shooter, for a trainer, take a look at the Kimber 22 LR 1911.

Revolvers:

The Ruger Single Actions have proven to be very accurate and reliable.

For double actions, the S&W's are the way to go.

They come in various frame sizes, and all are very accurate.

However for a field survival gun I really like the small frame "Kit Gun".

I have had a 4" Kit Gun for 34 years...

However...
In fact, not too long ago, I bought a 2" Kit Gun, specifically to carry on those trips where I am a long way from the civilized world, and might become stranded because of a mechanical failure of an ATV, Snow Mobile, vehicle, or a horse problem.

It is very easy to carry this little pistol and a couple of 50 round boxes of 22 LR ammo, ON YOUR PERSON, so you have it with you 100% of the time.

With 100 rounds of 22LR you can get food, and use it as signal noise as well.

If you are driving to your hunt area from home, where legal of course, you can carry it as a second [or third] gun as well.

Just a little extra insurance.

And it is a fun plinker... :D

505Ed

Re: The 22LR

Post by 505Ed »

Its hard to beat a browning buckmark, fired a few thousand rounds thru one without a glitch. They are priced right too.

A 22 is the best all around hand gun I think one can carry. My father totes a ruger single six in a 22 lr almost every day. I think he just tries to look like John Wayne!

Ed
The big ones, look big! (Jack O'connor)

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

I agree 22 LR is one of my favorite calibers and one I have associated with for as long as I can remember.

I shot my first wild boar, my first Chital (Axis Axis), my first leopard, and innumerable other game with this all before I was 12 years old !!

Whet her as a rifle or as a handgun, the 22 LR serves as the foundation of all good shooting technique.

Even today, I enjoy going for geese armed only with the 22. Of course, it needs to be used in only certain safe areas, as it goes a long, long way. :)

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have had a lot of 22 pistols, and the S&W model 41 is way better than any other I have ever had. Everyone should own at least one of these during their lifetime.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Zboneee

Post by Zboneee »

My all time favorite .22 handgun is my genuine Colt .22 conversion unit (with floating chamber) mounted on my 70-series Colt Gold Cup frame. Very accurate and just plain a hoot to shoot. If this doesn't put smile on your face, you are dead. I've had it for about 30 years and it should be good for another shooter's lifetime or two. :D

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

Some good info here.

First, the S&W Model 41 is one of the best if not the best 22LR semiauto on the Planet...

Second, I had 2 different Colt Conversion units, a long time ago. The great thing about them is that they induced recoil, to simulate the recoil of the 45 ACP.
I should have kept them, but a collector friend of mine wanted them....

I now have a Wilson unit that I like very well for training, but it does not have the "recoil" of the conversion unit, but it is more accurate.

Ron Benson

Post by Ron Benson »

IMHO the 22 rimfire is the most enjoyable cartridge ever designed. Nothing you can feed through a hollow tube can give as much fun and training at the same time as a 22 and anyone that can hold up a bottle of soda can enjoy shooting one; young, old, male, female all can have fun with them. I always keep a 2" S&W airweight with me when fishing and cannot count the numbers of snakes I have popped with shot. When having trouble with a larger caliber try a few rounds with a 22 and your mistakes jump out at you.
The S&W 17 is a great wheel gun. The old Browning Challangers, and Nomads are great precursers to the Buck Mark. The Colt Woodsman Match Target is another super semi-auto. All of these I have owned and enjoyed as well as the Hammerli /Walther and I own the Smith 41 which I think is as good as it gets for current production. I you want a semi - auto that will make you wet your britches, however, pick up an old Hi Standard Tournament, Citation, or Trophy. Most will appreciate the Military versions which were the 104 series and above, but try not to go beyond the ML series. The older 102 & 103 slant grips are great also but will not fit as many hands as the military grip. An afternoon with one of these old dudes is a promise of an ear to ear grin.
Ron Benson

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

NE450No2 wrote:Some good info here.

First, the S&W Model 41 is one of the best if not the best 22LR semiauto on the Planet...

Second, I had 2 different Colt Conversion units, a long time ago. The great thing about them is that they induced recoil, to simulate the recoil of the 45 ACP.
I should have kept them, but a collector friend of mine wanted them....

I now have a Wilson unit that I like very well for training, but it does not have the "recoil" of the conversion unit, but it is more accurate.

Agree with ya on the 41. I haven't seen one better. Had one when my step son was growing up. It was old as the hills and shot like nothing I'd seen before or after. Easy to shoot too.

Never heard of a conversion kit that simulated the recoil of the 45. That must have been neat. Cheap to shoot trainer for sure!

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

Champ

The original Colt 22 LR conversion unit had a floating chamber that allowed enough energy to drive back the STEEL slide of the Colt unit.

Thus this 22LR had some recoil...

All of the newer Conversion units that I have seen have aluminium slides and function like a regular 22LR.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus »

NE450 No2, I too have the 2 inch S&W kit gun. In fact, you and I discussed this idea on another board where I use a different login name. I like it so far, but need to shoot it a bit more. For added accuracy in a survival situation, I wonder if the Crimson Trace grips would be worthwhile.

As far a .22 autos go, my brother recently bought a SIG Trailside for his son. They love it so far, reporting 100% reliability and extreme accuracy. It's quite a bit less expensive than my S&W 41 with extra Clark optic barrel and Docter Optic sight. The Trailside was made by Hammerli, and Hammerli not imports the gun under its own name as the Exesse. I may wind up with one at some point.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Arcturus wrote:NE450 No2, I too have the 2 inch S&W kit gun. In fact, you and I discussed this idea on another board where I use a different login name. I like it so far, but need to shoot it a bit more. For added accuracy in a survival situation, I wonder if the Crimson Trace grips would be worthwhile.

As far a .22 autos go, my brother recently bought a SIG Trailside for his son. They love it so far, reporting 100% reliability and extreme accuracy. It's quite a bit less expensive than my S&W 41 with extra Clark optic barrel and Docter Optic sight. The Trailside was made by Hammerli, and Hammerli not imports the gun under its own name as the Exesse. I may wind up with one at some point.

Welcome to the board Arcturus! The Trailside looks to be a real good unit, may have to try one myself.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Post by retrieverman »

I used to have a Trailside, and it is definitely a nice little pistol.Image

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

NE450No2 wrote:Champ

The original Colt 22 LR conversion unit had a floating chamber that allowed enough energy to drive back the STEEL slide of the Colt unit.

Thus this 22LR had some recoil...

All of the newer Conversion units that I have seen have aluminium slides and function like a regular 22LR.

That sounds like it really would have done a good job as a training weapon. Suspect there aren't many around anymore.

retrieverman
Meister der jagd

Post by retrieverman »

I have bought and sold about half dozen Ruger Mark II's over the years, and I just picked up another. This one is a stainless 5.5" bull barrel model with a Hogue grip and Volquartsen accurizing kit already installed. I took it out and ran a few rounds through it, and it is pretty accurate.Image

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

All this talk about the S & W Model 41 makes me remember that till a few years back, when my eyes were much better, I would enjoy shooting .22 empties at the 25 meter range. I mentioned this once to my son. A few days later he asked me to come with him to the range. I was curious, because though he is a good shot (he was Junior National Champion in Skeet), he is not overly fond of going shooting. Anyway, we went to the range and he put up matchsticks at 15 yards and proceeded to shoot off their heads. I was so proud, I cannot describe.

I promptly gifted the 41 to him. :)

Return to “Handguns”